Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: sound system

I forget specifically about the premium system...I can't remember how the door speakers are powered...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

What year is your car?

For pre-2004MY, the head unit powers the speakers in exactly the same way as the standard system, with the sub woofer connected in parallel to provide bass. Both the tweeters and main speakers in each of the four doors are powered by a sngle pair from the head unit, so if the tweeters work then the main speakers should (there are no inline connectors, the cables are spliced off within the doors themselves).

For post-2004MY, if you have the premiums system then the head unit doesn't have anything to do with the system, it is just there to look pretty and give you a volume button. The amp in the back does everything. The door speakers are connected directly to the amp unit, with the front tweeters powered separately to the front main speakers (the rear doors are shared, with one pair going to each door, identical to the earlier system).

Two things come to mind:
Firstly, whichever year your car is, is it possible you could have applied too much power to the speakers? IIRC the tweeters are isolated whereas the main speakers are not and could fry.
Secondly, if you have a post-2004MY car, have you done any work with the fibre optic link recently? I can't think whjy you would only get partial sound, but it is a possibility. If not, then it could be the amp itself.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thats good to know...

Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XDAVE,

Seems like you know your stuff about the systems in the X. I have a 2002 X Sport 5sp manual and I love it. But the cassette deck makes me want to toss my cookiesjust looking at it. Along with navi I have the 6 disc changer in the rear but I want to swap the in dash cassetteplayer for a cd player I found on ebay. Can you verify for me if this will work? The Jag dealer thinks they usedifferent cables and it won't work, but then again they're much better at raping me than giving me accurate info! Ya heard?

Thx,
Nate

Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 PM

Tru dat, but I'm really big on fidelity and the days of thewow & flutter can't really touch modern day cd s/n ratios!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my sound stopped working took it in to audio express (local shop) and they saw that my amp was blown,so i got a alpine amp and speakers.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah if you were hoping to listen to static and kshshfnas;dfhasfjjhhhhh the whole time go for the tape adapter for the ipod...If you were going to do that you might as well just get the am/fm modulator...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

Having the tape deck is a godsend on the 02s... you can buy a 10 dollar tape adaptor and listin to you Ipod without spending the hundreds on the ACM..
Someone give this guy a beer, because he's exactly right. I have a tape deck and the slow *** 6 disc changer in the back and I just keep the Zune in the car for music. The changer downright sux and I refuse to spend $$$ on the ACM.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hey bo any pics of the amp and all of that? I'd love to see the subs and amps...

I don't feel like looking but what would the difficulty be to find one on ebay and hook it up in the trunk...I know the sound wouldn't be worth it but how difficult considering you found that power connection in the boot?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: AGLXTYPE

Along with navi I have the 6 disc changer in the rear but I want to swap the in dash cassetteplayer for a cd player I found on ebay. Can you verify for me if this will work? The Jag dealer thinks they usedifferent cables and it won't work, but then again they're much better at raping me than giving me accurate info! Ya heard?
Changing the stereo head units between tape deck, CD player and MD player are all straight swaps. Just make sure you get the correct kind (either with the manual phone buttons panel for non-touch screen cars, or without for those with the touch screen). If you have a CD changer and don't have the touch screen then you'll need to have it programmed in again after swapping them over. (This doesn't apply to you.)

Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

bojan reminds me of trojan! Just noticed that for whatever reason...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:54 AM

Xdave,

I will give it a shot. btw, do you have step by step instruction on how to remove the radio and navi? I have an 02 X Sport 3.0 5sp. I recently changed out my limp ashtray & ripped shifter boot. I didn't staple the boot down yet so I can still pull it up with ease.

Thanks,
Nate

Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AGLXTYPE

Xdave,

I will give it a shot. btw, do you have step by step instruction on how to remove the radio and navi? I have an 02 X Sport 3.0 5sp. I recently changed out my limp ashtray & ripped shifter boot. I didn't staple the boot down yet so I can still pull it up with ease.

Thanks,
Nate

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_16514/tm.htm

Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just to add information to the thread, there are two factory premium sound (amplified) systems for the X-Type. The one used on pre-2004MY cars is what bojangles describes, and is not really that great.The one on post 2004MY cars with the separate amplifier on the D2B network is the same system they are fitting to new models todaywhich is a vast improvement--totally incomparable. The latter can be retrofitted to any model year car for the price of a second hand amp ($100 from eBay), two subs ($40 froman electronic components firm) and an upgrade cable harness (I make them, or you can make your own). Whether you add tweeters is up to you. I've helped about adozen people to fit these systems to date to X-Types, XJs and an S-Type (post 2003), and although the instructions given below are now outdated (I have a simpler to install design) the end result is the same: http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtop...=premium+sound. Typically it works out cheaper to take that route than it does to put in your own system, and you gain the advantage of things like DSP, and full intergration with your car's controls.

Quick Reply: sound system