Sponsored by:

Speaker/Amplifier problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
**TECH CERTIFIED**
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Speaker/Amplifier problems

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 2002 X-type 3.0. I think that I am going to get to like it. Being a Beamerhead
for the past 25 years, I thought I would try a Jag.
However, the car had several problems, this is the story 2 of 2.

I have searched around the forums, you guys are sharp! Your posts have brought me almost up to speed on the
X- type in a very short time.

I’m hoping you can help me to solution this problem:

BACKGROUND: The car has a premium sound system (10 speakers - 4 tweeters, 5(?) bass and 1 subwoofer)
1.there is only output FROM the 4 tweeters in the doors
2.I have removed the factory installed radio/head unit. I found no amplifier and no apparent connection problem
3.I have looked in the boot/trunk above the CD changer and found no amplifier
4.Since all four of the door speakers are not playing, I did not remove them
5.There are two speakers mounted in the rear shelf, in an enclosure that aren’t playing.
6.I’m assuming that there’s one in front that is not playing.

Can you help identify the problem and the location of the amplifier?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike L.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 X Type VDP Edition and have just encountered a similar problem except I am getting no sound from any speakers and the console up front does not even know that my 6 CD changer exists. The AM and FM radio and the single CD in the console indicate that they are playing but no sound. I suspect your problem is similar to mine.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mike, for your info, there is no external amp for the 8 main speakers (4 tweeters, 4 midrange). They are all powered off of the head unit in the dash. 1 set of wires feeds both the tweeter and the mid range, so, if the tweeter is working, then the mid range is getting power, which would lead me to believe that you have 4 blown mid range speakers.

As for the subwoofers (the 2 speakers mounted in the enclosure), I would first check Fuse F74 in the dash fuse box. But, since you are not complaining about door lock problems or lack of instrumentation, that fuse is probably good. Next, you can do a ground check of the ground wire for the amp. That would be the black wire in Pin 1 coming off the enclosure. If you are getting less than 2 ohms, you are good there. Finally, do a voltage check of white wire in pin 2 on the enclosure. It should be at 12 VDC when the radio is turned on. if you have a good ground and 12 VDC, then you have a bad sub amp or blown subs. I would venture to guess that the subs have bit the dust.

Now, I am taking a guess here, but it sounds like whoever owned the car before you liked music with a lot of bass in it. So, they drove the subwoofers hard and blew the speakers. So, to compensate, the turned up the bass even more and over drove the midranges in an attempt to get more bass. But, that is just guessing on my part. Granted, it would not be the first time I have seen something like that happening.

Wish you luck. If you want to prove the mid ranges bad, you will need to remove the door cover, remove the speaker and then do a resistance check across the speaker. It should be around 4 ohms. Anything over 8 ohms and you have a bad speaker. But, I am willing to bet that you are going to find 4 blown midranges and 2 blown subs.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Not sure if this would help or not, but recently my audio unit had no sound. Unit seemed to be working fine as there was power and all, just no sound. Figured it was something very simple as it was working just fine. Turned out there was a cable that got disconnected under the dash. If you open the driver's door and look under the dash approximately under the headlight switch you will see a block with a number of cables going in. If the cable came out you will see right away and where it would go back in would be readily apparent as well. I'm guessing my son must have somehow pulled it out when he used the car as he is much taller than I am and has like size 14 shoes. Must have caught the cable with his foot I think.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

For pre 2004 X types with PREMIUM sound the amp is built into the rear parcel shelf.
There looks like there are 2 subs but there is only one, the other has the amp inside.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alfadude!!!! You are a genius. I checked for the loose plug under the dash as you suggested and presto chango guess what was staring me in the face?? A loose plug. You were right in that it was obvious as the where it should go. I plugged it in and now have sound back. I am tall like your son and I must have hit it with my shoes. Thanks again for the information. Kanu

Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL - Clown feet!

Glad you got your problem solved!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Genius? Hardly, but glad I could actually help someone on here for once. It always feels good when a problem can be fixed easily, quickly and for free.