Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special tool for Half Shafts and Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special tool for Half Shafts and Transfer case

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 xtype, 2.5 manual. My Transfer case just went out because its beautifully made to not need any fluid change for the life (80k) of the vehicle. Pardon my sarcasm. I refuse to pay any more money to have other mechanics spank me for crazy labor and parts costs. I am going to try to replace the transfer case myself. In JTIS of course it says you need a "special tool" to use when replacing the transfer case and/or installing the shafts. I read a previous post that explained about turning the tc upside down to assist in installing the shafts was helpful. Where do I get this special tool? or can I modify something to do the same job? Also are there any other pictures of this kind of repair besides in JTIS? Maybe a nice ppt like for changing the oil in the transfer case? Any help would be appreciated. Also since I will be attempting this myself whats the safest most affordable way to get my car in the air to do the work?

Thanks
Alpha

Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The special tool just keeps the shaft from coming out too far as the retaining clip will tear the seal inside the TC and to hold it in alignment with the bore. If you are VERY careful and don't pull the shaft and clip through the seal then it won't damage the seal. It does not matter if you tear the old unit but the salvage yard won't know this and they will probably just pull the shaft out and damage the seal in the unit you are trying to use. I think I remember the shaft can be pulled about 6" and still not damage the internal seal. You could remove the clip (be sure to smooth any rough edges) and remove the shaft carefully after the TC is pulled far enough from the gearbox.

bob gauff

Old 05-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The special tool just keeps the shaft from coming out too far as the retaining clip will tear the seal inside the TC and to hold it in alignment with the bore. If you are VERY careful and don't pull the shaft and clip through the seal then it won't damage the seal. It does not matter if you tear the old unit but the salvage yard won't know this and they will probably just pull the shaft out and damage the seal in the unit you are trying to use. I think I remember the shaft can be pulled about 6" and still not damage the internal seal. You could remove the clip (be sure to smooth any rough edges) and remove the shaft carefully after the TC is pulled far enough from the gearbox.

bob gauff
Thanks Bob