X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Bumps Cause Yellow Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Speed Bumps Cause Yellow Light

Anytime I go over a speed bump, regardless of speed, I get a yellow light that flashes for a few seconds on my dash - looks like the low fuel light, but its more in the center of the dash?

Can anyone tell me what is causing that?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could this be the passenger airbag off light? When the passenger seat senses a light passenger the airbag shuts down. Maybe over the bump the seat sensor is doing it's thing.

We really need to know what light it is that you are seeing.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mayor, lets clarify a few things before we get going. As for "the center of the dash", are you saying the instrument cluster or are you talking more over towards the radio/passenger side of the car? Only on speed bumps or does it happen when you hit a good size bump when traveling on the highway also? When this yellow light comes on, do you see a message down in the ODO area? What does it say?

My gut reaction right now is the wiring to your throttle is loose and you are getting a "Restricted Performance" message, which is only going to limit your engine RPMs to 3,000 RPMs. But, I am taking a guess at this.

Let us know the answers to the above questions and we'll go from there.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys,

The yellow light comes on right above the digital odometer. Its within the MPH circle - not over by the radio.

It only happens over speed bumps - it does not occur when hitting bumps while driving.

Here is a picture of where the light shows up - you can just barely see where the light is - its just below and to the right of the silver cone on the MPH needle:

Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mayor, I am venturing to guess that it is like I said, the cable running to the throttlebody is damaged and needs to be looked at. If you can get the help of a second person, start up the car and then wiggle the cable as the other person watches the dash. if the light comes on, then it confirms your problem.

After that, you will want to check the wire bundles inside the engine compartment for signs of rubbing going all the way from the throttlebody to the ECU. From there, you will want to follow the line that runs from the ECU to the gas pedal. Because the yellow light is not staying on, that is telling me it is something not associated with a sensor on the engine. Therefore it is leaving very few things that it can be.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I am certainly not technically savvy about these things, but what you are describing sounds like what happens when driving in slippery snowy conditions and the DSC comes on. If it just flickers only as you go over the bumps could it possibly just be the traction control activating? It normally shouldn't do that in normal conditions, but maybe if your tires are really worn or something in your suspension would need to be replaced maybe for tha split second the system is detecting wheel spin.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My guess would be something in the ABS/DSC systems--like a speed sensor ring that is ready to break off or a loose wire at one of the wheels???

Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably your trunk not being fully closed.

I had the same issue over bumps with the yellow light coming on. If you look at your dash exactly when your rear wheels hit the bump, your text screen will say "boot open" really quick, then dissapear.

Drove me nuts for weeks, until I figured it out by accident, dropping someone off at the airport. Hit a bump, light on and then off. Dropped them off with suitcases, no more light (except the lil light bulb that lit up over my head).

Try that.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When a door, boot, or bonnet is open a RED light comes on not the yellow one referred to above.