X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

2008 x-type 3.0l cranked but won't start, not even when jumped. Can somebody help me. I have given mechanic a lot of money without justifiable results. Please I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jaguar4asia, we need to first see where your problem lies. Since the car is cranking over, we can eliminate the security system. Granted, just to make sure, when you crank the car, look at the center console where the coin slot is (the black plastic piece between the J-gate and the e-brake). There is a red light on it. Does that come on when you are attempting to crank the car. If yes, then you have a problem with the car recognizing the key and need to correct that issue first.

Assuming that the light is off, we need to next figure out if you have fuel pressure or no spark. This is where a little bit of starter fluid is going to come into play. You will need to open the hood of your car and if you look at the top of the intake, you will see a black plastic tube coming off the top of the intake. Gently push down on the tube where it enters the intake and then using a small screw driver, lift up on the ring around the tube as you also lift up on the tube (lifting both parts together). Squirt some starter fluid into the hole and then reinstall the tube by pushing the tube back into the hole. Attempt to start the car. Did the car run for a second or so? If yes, then your problem is fuel. If no, then your problem is with the spark.

If you have a fuel issue, first start with checking to make sure that your fuel system is not inhibited by resetting the inertia module behind the front passenger kick panel. Single button that you need to depress. After that, when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? If it has been more than 15K miles, replace that and then see if the car will start. If you are still having issues, then what you will want to do is listen carefully and you should be able to roll the key to the RUN position (not START!!!!!!) and you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds as it builds up pressure and then turn off. If you don't hear the fuel pump, then you have either a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pump module. Along these same lines, attempt to start the car by turning the key to the RUN position, letting it set there for a few seconds and then rolling it to the START position. If the car starts this way, you have a fuel pump that is on its way out.

If you have a spark issue, I would first start with look on the engine block behind the passenger headlight. You should see where there are a series of connections bolted directly to the block. These are the grounds for the coils. These can build up corrosion and cause a rough idle and no start condition. Undo the bolt, clean up the connections so they are silvery again and then bolt things back together. If the car still will not start, then I would say that you need to pull the intake and look in the plug wells on the back side (nearest the firewall) to see if you have oil there. If yes, then you need to clean out the oil and then consider replacing the valve cover seals. If you still are not getting proper spark, we have a power issue to the coils.

I have given you the start. Once we know where the problem lies in the big picture, we can get into more detail to locate the problem.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What work was done recently to the car and what was the issue(s) you were having that you had work done by a mechanic?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I plan to carry out the test as you said. I will give you feedback . Once again thank you.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Default Work Done

Originally Posted by Alfadude
What work was done recently to the car and what was the issue(s) you were having that you had work done by a mechanic?
I changed the battery, alternator, and water pump.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Default Starter?

Originally Posted by Thermo
jaguar4asia, we need to first see where your problem lies. Since the car is cranking over, we can eliminate the security system. Granted, just to make sure, when you crank the car, look at the center console where the coin slot is (the black plastic piece between the J-gate and the e-brake). There is a red light on it. Does that come on when you are attempting to crank the car. If yes, then you have a problem with the car recognizing the key and need to correct that issue first.

Assuming that the light is off, we need to next figure out if you have fuel pressure or no spark. This is where a little bit of starter fluid is going to come into play. You will need to open the hood of your car and if you look at the top of the intake, you will see a black plastic tube coming off the top of the intake. Gently push down on the tube where it enters the intake and then using a small screw driver, lift up on the ring around the tube as you also lift up on the tube (lifting both parts together). Squirt some starter fluid into the hole and then reinstall the tube by pushing the tube back into the hole. Attempt to start the car. Did the car run for a second or so? If yes, then your problem is fuel. If no, then your problem is with the spark.

If you have a fuel issue, first start with checking to make sure that your fuel system is not inhibited by resetting the inertia module behind the front passenger kick panel. Single button that you need to depress. After that, when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? If it has been more than 15K miles, replace that and then see if the car will start. If you are still having issues, then what you will want to do is listen carefully and you should be able to roll the key to the RUN position (not START!!!!!!) and you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds as it builds up pressure and then turn off. If you don't hear the fuel pump, then you have either a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pump module. Along these same lines, attempt to start the car by turning the key to the RUN position, letting it set there for a few seconds and then rolling it to the START position. If the car starts this way, you have a fuel pump that is on its way out.

If you have a spark issue, I would first start with look on the engine block behind the passenger headlight. You should see where there are a series of connections bolted directly to the block. These are the grounds for the coils. These can build up corrosion and cause a rough idle and no start condition. Undo the bolt, clean up the connections so they are silvery again and then bolt things back together. If the car still will not start, then I would say that you need to pull the intake and look in the plug wells on the back side (nearest the firewall) to see if you have oil there. If yes, then you need to clean out the oil and then consider replacing the valve cover seals. If you still are not getting proper spark, we have a power issue to the coils.

I have given you the start. Once we know where the problem lies in the big picture, we can get into more detail to locate the problem.
I got the fuel pump replaced today, surprisingly the car won't crank, please I need help. Could this be a starter problem?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd suggest checking the engine codes if you haven't already...that'll help eliminate a lot of issues. Does the engine light come on when you first turn the key?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:11 AM

Yes they do turn on.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I think he means when you turn the key and all the warning lights come on as part of the initail starting procedure go out and if one o0r more still stay on. Do you have any lights on the dash stay on after that?

I trust your mechanic checked for any stored codes. Please post what those were.

When did you replace the battery? Could it just be the battery is not fully charged enough to start the car?

When the car first did not start was it working PERFECTLY fine before that and this issue came out of the blue, or were there any kind of warning signs before? Any other info you could share to help diagnose this?

Have you changed the fuel filter?