X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting only by depressing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting only by depressing clutch?

Anyone know if there is a way to make an '04 X-Type able to start without having to depress the clutch pedal?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Starting only by depressing clutch?

Put a jumper across the clutch switch on the pedal...but then your asking for more trouble..the ECM monitors when you clutch in order to set idle speed during gear changes, also keeps RPMs up while A/C is running during gear changes..so that is a can of worms you'll not want to open....Course then there is the best reason not to..if you're in gear and crank the engine you could end up on the other side of a wall..like your garage wall or through a plate glass window of a 7-11 and then we'll all have a good laugh when you make the news.

But the question will come up...WHY?[&:]

Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a reason why they want you to push the clutch to start it. Dennis described it perfectly
And BTW, don't install a remote starter on this car. I may assuming, but I'm guessing that's why you'd want to start the car without the clutch.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ah hell....let the lad have some fun. have the wife stand in front of the car with the neutral safety switch disconnected and the car in gear. Have husband start car while in gear, preferably in 1st gear..

Ahhhh, the priceless fun we can have!!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

isn't there a movie about this? Based on actual events involving my first wife? (okay, fine, she wasn;t my first wife)

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spartan I have seen many stick shift vehicles with automatic start. I think they put some loop back device in the system to make the car think the clutch had been depressed. For safety, if the key is not in the ignition in the on position and someone tries to drive the car, open the hood or trunk (and a number of other options) the vehicle will stall.

In my Lincoln I had the remote start - best $500 I ever spent, especially in the north east. The remote control was like a little computer and could monitor the cars temperature and make it start and run for a specified amount of time when the outsidetemp wouldreach a certain degree. Also start according to a schedule too! How awesome is that!

Either way those loop back devices are used for a bunch of things. Ever get stuck having to put the car in park to use the Nav - these loop back connectors trick the system.

Not sure how all of this fits into the Jag, even if it is at all possible - but if there is a will there is a way!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

yes, but you're missing the obvious problem: if the car is in gear, and you have it all rigged-up so it will start anyway..... that's kind of a problem, huh?
And if you're suggesting you would just leave the car in neutral every time you park it; that is a very bad idea, on many levels.
to name only two: What if the park brake doesn't hold? (VERY common) and 2) what if you forget, and leave it in gear?

That's why ALL remote start systems say to NEVER install these in a manual trans vehicle.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Florida, so no remote start really all that necessary. I just started driving this car and it has been six or so years since I drove a stick, but I don't remember my 280ZX or a previous Pontiac 5-speed requiring the clutch being depressed. Maybe I'm just getting old! And, obviously lazy which is why I had the crazy question. Suffice to say, I won't be changing anything on this "idea." Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No...do it anyway...it'll be cool......many people have done it and nobody ever got killed...well except for that kid that was crushed between two cars. When the guy started his car (forgot it was in gear) and a kid just happened to walk in front of it and crushed his hips and legs...but he didn't die......so life is good....or the guy who started his car and forgot it was in gear and the car took off and T-boned another car at an intersection......but the point is....nobody ever got killed....

lots of people do it.....hell what are warnings?? They are just stupid signs that don't mean a thing......DO IT! Like the warning sign on cigarette packages ...hell...Millions of people do it anyway and they all live to be happy!!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way man it is not a good idea. What if some else drives your car and isnt aware of this, they could drive thru a dunkin donuts or something.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

to no longer have a depressed clutch to start on any Jaguar is really easy......
open the gas tank with the engine running at idle and the headlights on. the trunks needs to be open also...
now throw 3 prozac tabs in the tank and you Jaguar will never be depressed again.....
comeon you laughed..You know you did,I saw you