X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof noise

Just started this weekend. Get a high-pitched whistle when driving at higher speeds. Loud enough that I vent it to make it stop.

Any ideas of an easy way to fix that. I assume the seal is leaking or something????

Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

jjones, sounds like the sunroof is not seating down fully. I would tell you to open the sunroof and do a check of the seal to make sure that nothing is sitting on the seal (points straight up). Now, close it. From here, get out of the car and look to see if the sunroof is sitting flush. You may want to give a gentle push down to verify that the sunroof is sitting flush. If you see the window flex down, then that tells me that it isn't sitting down far enough. If this is the case, then you need to look at the tracks and see what is binding up the system.

If you found something on the seal, then odds are that is what was causing your noise issue.

Hope this fixes your problem.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM

I'll check it out, thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by Thermo
jjones, sounds like the sunroof is not seating down fully. I would tell you to open the sunroof and do a check of the seal to make sure that nothing is sitting on the seal (points straight up). Now, close it. From here, get out of the car and look to see if the sunroof is sitting flush. You may want to give a gentle push down to verify that the sunroof is sitting flush. If you see the window flex down, then that tells me that it isn't sitting down far enough. If this is the case, then you need to look at the tracks and see what is binding up the system.

If you found something on the seal, then odds are that is what was causing your noise issue.

Hope this fixes your problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM

It's my passenger side window that was making the noise. It took me a couple times hitting it down and up quickly for it to seal correctly. Other than the huge whining sound lately i've heard more wind/road noise and it must not be tucking up in correctly unless I mess with it a little.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

jjones, roll down the passenger window and look in the track. You may find that you have a little bit of crud in the groove. That can cause the window not to go all the way up. The other possibility is that the rubber piece that the window slides into has gotten twisted up and is not allowing the window to fully seat. I have seen that happen on a few other vehicles.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
jjones, roll down the passenger window and look in the track. You may find that you have a little bit of crud in the groove. That can cause the window not to go all the way up. The other possibility is that the rubber piece that the window slides into has gotten twisted up and is not allowing the window to fully seat. I have seen that happen on a few other vehicles.
I'll check that out visually. It hasn't done it since I rolled it up and down quickly a few times. So it might be fixed.