X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof problems.

Ok, so I bought the car about 2 weeks ago and the sunroof didn't work. When I press the button nothing happens, no noises, nothing. What could the problem be?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you checked the fuse?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Yeah, fuse looked fine, but I still replaced it with the one provided on the cover of the engine compartment's fuse box. Nothing. It is fuse F73, right?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try both buttoms, you may need to reprogram or reset it, also check the wirring for it

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Did you try both buttoms, you may need to reprogram or reset it, also check the wirring for it
How do you reprogram/reset?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a bad motor, easy to replace.

Just drop down the dome light and remove the 3 torx screws that are holding it in. replace with the new module.

to reprogram, hold till the unit goes alll the way back, then hold for an additional 5sec (you will hear a small click), then do the same for going forward. repeat until the sunroof follows it's normal path.

The following users liked this post:
Gillingham Supporter (07-09-2014)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Any idea where I can buy a motor? I couldn't find one on autozone and a few other places.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

before you replace the motor get a voltage tester and make sure there is power getting to the motor. Easy test light ground one end, stick it into the wire pre switch if that works press the switch and plug the tester into the wire going into the motor, if you have power it's definately the motor but if no power prior to the switch it's something else, if you have power before the switch but nothing after it's the switch... be a pain to replace the motor and it is still not working.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

position.
  1. Press the sunroof switch forward to move the sliding roof panel into the tilted position.
  2. Release the sunroof switch.
  3. Press and hold the sunroof switch forward until the sliding roof panel moves slightly. This may take 30 seconds or more.
  4. Release the sunroof switch.
  5. Immediately press and hold the sunroof switch in the forward position. The sliding roof panel will move down and rearward to the open position, and then forward into the closed position. Do not release the sunroof switch until the sliding roof panel has stopped completely.
  6. Your sunroof panel should now be reset,
i have some better instructions but i keep them in my car incase it malfunstions. The thing to aviod is when the sunroof is closing, dont turn the iginition off, or it messes it up

The following 3 users liked this post by Disco stu55:
dwclapp (11-24-2016), Gillingham Supporter (07-09-2014), innzane (07-07-2014)
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really great information! So glad I found this forum! Sunroof has been a problem for a few months now. I'm going to try this when my wife gets home later with the car. Thanks!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Well, it turns out it was the motor, I put another one in and it worked BUT I have problems. First of all, only the forward/tilt button works, nothing happens when I push the open sunroof button. I tried to reset it but I can't get it to work. I think I'm doing the first step wrong...are you supposed to press the button just once(to barely move it), or get the glass fully tilted? Because when I get to the 3rd step in disco's list, the glass just closes and even ends up with the rear part under the roof line, not aligned.

Last edited by Carwatcher; 12-30-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 AM

The resetting proceudre worked for me. I was having the same problem as you explain: only the forward button would do anything and the sunroof would not align properly. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to close right.

I followed the reset procedure and everything is working properly again.

In the first step HOLD the button - the sunroof will tilt open and stop. When it stops in the full tilted open position, RELEASE the button.

In the third step the sunroof only moves very slightly. It moved as soon as I hit the open button again. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do more so I continued to hold the button. Nothing else happened so I released it after about 30 seconds.

Then in the fifth step HOLD the forward button until until the sunroof completely cycles. It will tilt down, then fully open rearward, then close. I released the button and everything works normally as before.

Hope this helps ... Good luck!

Rob

The following users liked this post:
Gillingham Supporter (07-09-2014)
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Dammit, I still can't get it to work...so I press and hold the the button to get the sunroof fully tilted and it stops, then I let go and press the button again to begin the 3rd step, but when I do it just goes back down and under the roof line, I guess that's doesn't mean moving "slightly".

Maybe I installed the motor wrong? But I'm guessing if I did that it wouldn't move at all...another thing, the motor I replaced it with was slightly bigger than the original motor, would this be a problem? Everything plugged in and fit ok, it was just bigger but the screws were in the same location. I have an 03 and the motor came from an 02.

Last edited by Carwatcher; 12-31-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM

I'm not sure what to say. My problems started when I replaced the battery. Apparently the sunroof and windows have to be reset when the battery is disconnected.

I don't know what to say about the the motor. Haven't messed with it. I would imagine it has a one way connector (just like everything else) and it sounds like you got the holes to line up right. Can't imagine you goofed it up.

Maybe try disconnecting the battery. That's where all my problems began. I dunno -- just a thought ...

Good luck!

Rob

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I did a reset on the windows but that didn't fix the sunroof, I guess they are separate. I can't think of anything else, I've tried for hours now, I'm starting to feel stupid, lol.

Maybe the sunroof came off track? My sunroof has never worked and I couldn't find any pics with it open, but is it supposed to go out or into the roof when you open it? What I find weird is that it never closes, when I press and hold the forward button it just stops with the rear part tilted below the sunroof...I have to press it quickly to slowly lift it into the close position. I've started the reset position both when it's closed and when it has stopped below the roof line with no luck.

Last edited by Carwatcher; 01-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 AM

When the sunroof retracts (opens completely) it drops below the roofline and disapperas into the headliner. You don't see any of the glass material when it is fully open.

Sounds to me like something is going on with the track. Is it blocked or bent in any way? Like I said, I've never really messed with the track or motor. Maybe someone with more experience might be able to help?

Continued good luck!

Rob

Old 07-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey where did you pick up the motor and for how much? Mine is stuck in the tilt position and I used to have to always do the reset procedure but now when I click the button it makes a click but no movement so I'm guessing it's not the switch but the motor itself.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

If you need a sun roof motor pm me. I have many parts to what makes the x type tick.....

If anyone needs me I will be in my office. Pm me and I will get back to u asap.

Thanks and good luck,
The Dr.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Thumbs up Success

Blimey! I've gone two years with only the forward movement button working and trying to gauge a closed sun roof by eye. Hard to do and a definite no no when driving. I let it run the full sequence after reading this exchange, held it in for a few seconds and, sure enough, the click. It now functions perfectly.

Today has been worthwhile after all.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
position.
  1. Press the sunroof switch forward to move the sliding roof panel into the tilted position.
  2. Release the sunroof switch.
  3. Press and hold the sunroof switch forward until the sliding roof panel moves slightly. This may take 30 seconds or more.
  4. Release the sunroof switch.
  5. Immediately press and hold the sunroof switch in the forward position. The sliding roof panel will move down and rearward to the open position, and then forward into the closed position. Do not release the sunroof switch until the sliding roof panel has stopped completely.
  6. Your sunroof panel should now be reset,
i have some better instructions but i keep them in my car incase it malfunstions. The thing to aviod is when the sunroof is closing, dont turn the iginition off, or it messes it up
Just tried this procedure. Worked like a charm! Took about 30 seconds total. First time my roof has worked properly in 5 years. Wish I had joined here before!

Quick Reply: Sunroof problems.