X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged V6 in Jaguar X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Supercharged V6 in Jaguar X-Type

I heard there were some X-Type R prototypes, such as a twin-electric supercharged 3.0 V6 putting out ~280 horsepower, and a Supercharged 3.0V6 putting out ~310 horsepower. My question is, why hasn't anyone tried putting in a this generation Supercharged V6 into an X-Type, like the ones found in F-Type S? especially since AWD F-Type is coming out soon, the AWD Supercharged V6 with 380 horsepower can be put into the X-Type AWD for a 150 horsepower increase from the regular 3.0 V6. I may be rambling at this point, but what (besides money) is stopping this from being done?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You are dreaming.

Completely different vehicles, there is absolutely nothing in common between them apart from the badge and the wheel bolt-pattern. Nothing.

The F-Type V6S is a totally different engine to the V6 in the X-Type, totally different not a thing in common between them. Nothing.

The F-Type's supercharged V6 is physically the same size as the V8 i.e. it's very big.

The F-Type drivetrain is a north-south arrangement, the X-Type is an east-west.

The V6S engine simply would not fit under the bonnet of the X-Type in a north-south arrangement.

By the time you cut up the firewall, flooplan, etc there wouldn't be much of the X-Type left.

And not a hope in hell of making anything electrical work.

The X-Type R prototypes and the ones that got aftermarket supercharging were with standard drivelines, just had the blower fitted to the existing engines.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
just had the blower fitted to the existing engines.
Just to emphasise that for anyone who's no real idea about this stuff, the "just" is itself a big task and needs a custom PCM etc. Anyone who doesn't immediately understand - don't try this without a BIG budget!! Just buy a car with SC already fitted.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

LOL the 'just' was in relation to the original idea of transplanting an entire drivetrain...

Yes it's still a major undertaking, not worth it by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Ok guys, quit you whining, just go find yourself a good condition STR or XJR.

That's sort of what I did when I transitioned from an '05 X-Type 3.0 to a '08 S-type 4.2 (although not an "R", 300hp from a V8 are very fine, indeed!)

Hope this helped
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pab
Ok guys, quit you whining, just go find yourself a good condition STR or XJR.

That's sort of what I did when I transitioned from an '05 X-Type 3.0 to a '08 S-type 4.2 (although not an "R", 300hp from a V8 are very fine, indeed!)

Hope this helped
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine
2003 Jaguar S-Type R
A jag like that? Don't get me wrong, that's a great jag, for a greater price, but it's not about having a fast car, it's about having a fast X-Type. although I probably will give up hope and end up buying the car on that ad soon enough

Old 04-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Dude, if you want more power you can achieve it very easily. Just follow my footsteps and you'll be there lol.

Rebuild the motor up with low compression and use forged internals like those offered by NPG, a moderate size turbo, FMIC, headers with custom piping to the turbo. 2.5 - 3" piping and some straight through mufflers.

I'm doing the headers and full exhaust very soon. No custom piping to a turbo yet though, that'll be the 3.0 I'm rebuilding. It will be headers, custom piping with short sections of flex pipe, a 2-into-1 high flow cat. Downstream o2 sensors mounted right after the cat, no resonator and 2.5" tubing out to Aero AT2525 turbine mufflers with 3.5" burnt tips.

As For ecu, use a piggyback system or run something like megasquirt. It wouldn't cost that much to have someone fab an instrument cluster the shape of the X just with aftermarket gauges, or do it yourself. Fiberglass work is pretty easy to do.

You could do all of that for probably 6k, not including the price of the car.

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 04-16-2015 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zalami3196 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

So, cheaper to buy an R model.

The following users liked this post:
hilaryv215 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
So, cheaper to buy an R model.
I'm not disagreeing with that statement at all. I'm a big fan of the STR's. Although, it would certainly be more fun to have the first turbo X Type pushing big power to the wheels.

When I roast your STR, let me know if you're still happy you have the same STR that dude down the block has...haha

Old 04-17-2015, 09:12 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>turbo X Type pushing big power to the wheels.

And immediately vaporize the transfer case.

We understand your intentions and applaud your willingness to explore the far reaches. But, please, just be aware that without serious re-engineering the AWD system of an X-Type will not last long after you have completed the upgrades.
================================================== ===========
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=pab;1208536]>turbo X Type pushing big power to the wheels.

Lol how did I know the dreaded tcase issue was going to pop up?

Man, I'm building this can the right way. I know all about the troubles of the transfer case. I'm going to run the power through the factory, untouched transfer case first and see if the power rating issues are a myth or not. No body has ever ran big power through the case and most, if not all, failures are low fluid and bad bearing preload or worn out bearing related.

If and when the first one fails, I already have another one that will have been rebuilt by a local off road shop, JCR Offroad, to their high horsepower specs that they use to build cases for in several hundred horsepower 4x4, heavy *** trucks. You've probably heard of them, they are huge in the 4x4 scene right now.

The first failure, if it occurs, will show me the fault areas. I will counteract that/those faults with the newly rebuilt one when installed.

Honestly, I think jaguar screwed us all and under filled the case from the factory and told us it was "sealed for life" so when it fails, they're getting the money for a replacement and not just the service cost of a recommended flush and fill. Its pretty hatd to blow apart a properly operating set of gears. Just my 2 scents, but they won't pay the bill

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 04-17-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=X-TypeMentality;1208547]
Originally Posted by pab
>turbo X Type pushing big power to the wheels.

Lol how did I know the dreaded tcase issue was going to pop up?

Man, I'm building this can the right way. I know all about the troubles of the transfer case. I'm going to run the power through the factory, untouched transfer case first and see if the power rating issues are a myth or not. No body has ever ran big power through the case and most, if not all, failures are low fluid and bad bearing preload or worn out bearing related.

If and when the first one fails, I already have another one that will have been rebuilt by a local off road shop, JCR Offroad, to their high horsepower specs that they use to build cases for in several hundred horsepower 4x4, heavy *** trucks. You've probably heard of them, they are huge in the 4x4 scene right now.

The first failure, if it occurs, will show me the fault areas. I will counteract that/those faults with the newly rebuilt one when installed.

Honestly, I think jaguar screwed us all and under filled the case from the factory and told us it was "sealed for life" so when it fails, they're getting the money for a replacement and not just the service cost of a recommended flush and fill. Its pretty hatd to blow apart a properly operating set of gears. Just my 2 scents, but they won't pay the bill
Didn't someone have a supercharged X-Type with ~315 horsepower, with no transfer case issues?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 AM

I read a few articles about the x type r prototypes and I think there was another one built by a consumer. I've never seen any pictures of the motors though. They weren't pushing the power I'm trying to achieve either.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The kind of money involved, has anyone considered using a KERS?
Some are hub mounted and the extra power does not enter the driveline.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

If I ever need to rebuild my engine, I think I'd drop to about 8/8.2:1 and pop a Paxton-type blower on it; cheap, easy 280 hp or so. Any more, and I'll need a broom and dustpan for the drivetrain.

I can safely say that the supercharger, with no lag, outperforms the turbo, and at reasonable levels of boost, runs scads cooler.

I had one of the proto Shelby Chargers with a baby-size Roots blower on the 4-cylinder (and a pair of Mikuni sidedraft carbs)..evil fast, but it literally ate a transmission a month until the builder sprung for a custom box for it.

Frankly, I'd rather have something drivable.