X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light issue

Does anyone know the fuse for the tail lights in a 2004 X Type 3.0. I've seen some diargrams on here for a 2004 but it doesnt seem to match my passenger box. My fuse numbers are all lower. My under the hood box is the one with the Dip Beams in the f17 and f 16 position. The car was manufactured in 10/03 if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Pete, you are looking for Fuse F63 in the central fuse block. That is the fuse for the tail lights.

On a side note, you have what is referred to as a pre-2004.25 MY car. Aka, even though your car is a 2004, it was built using the 02-03 parts and wiring. In about March of 2004, Jaguar did an upgrade to the car and they added a few different things (different transfer case, more radio options, different traction control system, etc). Hence why you are finding that the diagrams for a 2004 X-Type do not match your car.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (11-29-2012)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, you seem very knowledgeable about Jaguar X type electrical issues and was wondering could you help me with a problem I am having. The left hand passenger side of my 2007 x type 2.0 diesel front parking light/side light and rear tail light keep blowing the fuse. I understand this is most likely a short some where, but is this a common problem or something simple that I'm over looking? I am new to this site and would appreciate any advise.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

Allen, first off, welcome to the JF. Like you have found, there are a lot of knowledgeable people around these parts. So, sit back, do some reading and enjoy a cup of joe in the process. But, we do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. As you will find out, we are a friendly bunch and we like to get to know one another. Besides, it will help you get introduced to the people around here.

As for your problem. I guess I need to see how well you know electrical stuff and if you can use a multimeter. That may be helpful based on what we find next. I am also assuming that you are finding that fuse F47 is blowing on you. Is this correct?

Anyways, what I would tell you to do is to first try disconnecting the side marker lights (there are 2, one in front, one in the rear on the side of the car) at the plug going into the marker light. Then I also want you to pull the plug for the tail light and the headlight on that same side. This will leave pretty much just the wiring and the fuse box if there is a problem. Now, put in a new fuse and then turn on your parking (running) lights (ie, try to turn on the lights that you are having an issue with). Did the fuse blow? If yes, then your problem is internal to the wiring harness of the car and unless you feel like hand over handing the wiring of the car and you have some decent electrical knowledge, this may be a job better left for a professional.

If the fuse did not blow when you turned on the running lights, plug in the tail light. Did the fuse blow? If yes, you have a problem in the tail light. Disconnect the tail light, replace the fuse and continue. Now, plug in the headlight. Did the fuse blow? If yes, you have a problem with the headlight assembly, disconnect, replace the fuse and continue. Now plug in the front side marker light. Did the fuse blow? If yes, then your problem is in that marker light. Disconnect it, replace the fuse and continue. Finally, if you have managed to plug in the tail light, headlight and the front marker light and the fuse has not blown yet, then your problem lies in the rear side marker light.

As for making a repair. if it is one of the side marker lights, you can try putting a new bulb in and seeing if that fixes the problem. If it does, great, if not, it is going to be cheaper just to get a new side marker light and go from there. If it is the tail light or headlight, let me know and we can take things from there. You can try pulling the running light bulbs out of these items and seeing if it is the bulb in that case, but odds are, you are still going to have the issue.

With all this being said, as you are unplugging things, I want you to look at both sides of the plugs you are undoing and look at the connections. They should be fairly shiny (not rust in color) and they should be dry too. If you have a connector that looks really dull or is rusty, remove all power (turn car off, ensure lights are off) and then using a small screw driver or scribe, scrape all the rust off of the pins to ensure a good connection. I have seen in the past where the tail light plug has gotten some water inside of it and it has corroded to the point that it caused a short like you are seeing. But, this can happen to any of the plugs.

HOpefully this will get you back on the road and it is something simple to fix. Whatever you find, if you are not sure, come back and we will get you hooked up. If you can, take a picture of what you are not sure about and post them here (need a minimum of 10 posts to do so) or send them directly to me at thermomonkey at yahoo dot com.

The following users liked this post:
Allenfazer (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 AM

Thanks Thermo for the really helpful advise I have posted my intro and I am out to my garage to check what you have told me Ill keep you posted on how I get on. Thanks again

Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Default Tail light issue

Hello,
Issue resolved followed thermos advise and all I needed to do was change the tail light and break light bulb €3 all fixed
Thanks again thermo!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Allen, good to hear you have the kitty back up and working 100%. Hopefully this was just a fluke and all will the good in the future.