X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light & Reverse/Backup light issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Alfa, not to steer you into a Jag, but look at the reviews of the Giulia and the Ghibi. I have pondered both of them for the wife and after reading the reviews, I was starting to question that. They are supposed to be nice cars, but high in the amount of maintenance that they need to keep htem running.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

The Alfa is probably my first choice and when I would get it the car would still be under warranty. The Ghibli, that is more a heart vs. head decision. Hard to pass up a Ferrari assembled 400hp engine in a car that you can buy a few years old still under warranty. Where I take my car to be serviced is an idependent place that years ago were Alfa, Fiat and Maserati dealers. They are Italian and still service and sell a lot of Italian cars. They have sold at least 12 or so Ghiblis this year and have said there have been pretty reliable, although they tend to go through rotors kind of quick. And I really liked the interiors. Drove one and the sound and smell is intoxicating. I got in one and I swear to God the leather smelled just like a brand new baseball mitt. My biggest grip about Ghibli's is the quality of the paint job. Seem to still see a lot of orange peel in spots that I haven't seen since mid-1980s GM cars.

The Guila not worried about the maintenance so much. Doesn't seem to be anything glaring that has come up that seems like an expensive trouble spot. If I would get one, my Italian Boyz would fix it. Plus, they are located roght across the street from where I work and I can get a loaner car.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 08-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
NJJAGG, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like it here a lot. We pride ourselves in being a better car group. We like to get to know one another. With that being said, please stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit about yourself and why you bought your jag. This will give us a chance to meet you and gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem, you are addressing it in the wrong section of the site. This area is for the X-Type (aka, X400 cars). You drive what is referred to around here as an X351 (2010+ XJ). If you go back to the main screen, you will see the new XJ section about 8 lines up from the X-Type line.

With all of this being said, I can help you out as I have a 2012 XJ and have the wiring diagrams for your car and I am sure I can figure out what is going on. When I get home from work, I will look at the diagrams and give you a few spots to check. Along those lines, how are you with a multimeter? Just asking that if we get to the point of checking voltages, I want to know how detailed I need to be. The quick check that you can do right now is to open the trunk/boot and access the back of the tail lights. From there, unplug one of the tail lights and see if the reverse lights come on with the running lights. If they do, then plug the first tail light back in and unplug the other tail light. It is possible that you have a tail light that has failed and is causing both of the reverse lights to light. If unplugging the tail lights doesn't fix things, then that eliminates about half of what we need to look at.
Hi Thermo,

Thank you for your reply back in May.
I tried to follow up, even with the new member area but some family health issues came up and i was not able to get back.
But I will be doing it soon.
Also wanted to thank you for the info as well.
Do to the issues, I decided to just send it back to the dealer and they were able to resolve it.
Even covered it under warranty.

To Share- They told me they had to remove the rear bumper. They noticed that the wire harness back there seamed to be rusting or rotting.
I guess some of the wires may have been exposed and/or crossing. They replaced the wiring and has been good ever since.

I know I am a little late- But I want to Thank everyone who replied to my request for help