X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you all!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you all!

I just wanted to drop a thread thanking everybody on this forum. The few problems I've had were solved with the help of the "experts" on these threads. I have learned a lot from everybody helping others, and even the old posts are full of good information. I can't imagine how much money I have saved by applying the simple solutions presented here.

But mainly I want to thank everybody for the respectful attitude that everybody shows. I am on another forum for a certain German manufacturer and the difference in the quality of people is clear. The "other guys" are rude, use profanity, and generally take pleasure in letting you know that you are either a real idiot or make the accusation that you are trying to be cheap by avoiding the dealership for parts and service. Not a pleasant place to be, but in between the crass behaviors I get a useful nugget once in a while.

Is the difference cultural? Germans are known to be rude and the English have a reputation for being gentleman after all. Or is it the fact that Jaguar owners are more mature? I don't know, but I am always pleasantly pleased when I come to the forums here.

Thanks guys, you are, and remain, the best!

The following 2 users liked this post by Ozzlefinch:
GGG (08-24-2015), o1xjr (08-24-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I think Jaguar people are different, in that they take joy out of someone solving a problem, and pretty much look after each other as equals, trying to keep our beautiful cars going. Tell me about one Beautiful German car! Most of the other makes measure each other by how much they have spent i.e. Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, Audis, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Jaguar people help each other out, so they do not need to spend their children's college funds to keep their cars going. I have found no difference in any of our forums, from the entry cars, to the priceless cars. We all appreciate each others cars, and if someone doesn't maybe they should try one of the earlier mentioned groups. I bought a $3000 XK8 convertible, and I have had nothing but positive remarks on my car, and help on how to make it live a long time.......Just an observation....Mike

Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ozzle, part of it also is those in charge make it known that we are here to be helpful, not put each other down. This tends to keep the riff raff moving right along. Also, I think it is helpful when we are simply nice to each other and people see that there isn't the "I'm better than you are" attitudes that get flung around. All of us help uphold the quality of the site.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, we do have a respectful group here. I didn't realize it quite until I spent some time on the other forums where a simple question usually results in a flame war within 3 posts.

And yes, it is true that the "other guys" judge each other by the dollar amount spent on a project, not the technical aspects of the project itself. But I do like my sauerkraut car, it has a lot of good features to it and I got it for a give away price- so who cares anyway? But to be true, the Jag can chew it up and spit it out without breaking stride. No comparison really. Alas, the Jag belongs to the wife so I don't get to drive it much. I'm stuck schlepping around town in a big money waste pretending it's some kind of ultimate driving experience while the wife has the good car....

Last edited by Ozzlefinch; 08-23-2015 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Ozzlefinch, I feel your pain. I bought a 1997 XK8 just so i would not be doing my commute in the XJ8. Well 3 days after I bought it I got a chip on the windshield, wife pipes up you are not going to ruin my beautiful car. Now I only drive to the gas station and the car wash. By the way that was a number of years ago.
The Jag forum is a great group of people, everyone wants to help, there is no dumb question and even if you offer up advise that's not quite right no ridicules you for trying.

mrplow58 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzlefinch
Or is it the fact that Jaguar owners are more mature?

*snooty but polite tone*
Well, we are Jeg-you-uh owners, after all.

Heh. Yeah, this is a great, mature group in general. Sooooo helpful.

I do all my own work, thanks to this forum.

And yes, some of the older posts are of great value still.

Last edited by Lubrication; 08-24-2015 at 12:20 AM.
mrplow58 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzlefinch
I just wanted to drop a thread thanking everybody on this forum. The few problems I've had were solved with the help of the "experts" on these threads. I have learned a lot from everybody helping others, and even the old posts are full of good information. I can't imagine how much money I have saved by applying the simple solutions presented here.

But mainly I want to thank everybody for the respectful attitude that everybody shows .............
Good to hear you've found useful information here to help with your vehicle issues and are enjoying the forum. We have some extremely knowledgeable members in all model tech forums who always give their time to help others new to the marque.

We're relaxed here and the emphasis is very much on being friendly. The vast majority of members respond to this in like fashion and we don't have much trouble with rudeness or treating anyone disrespectfully just because they sometimes need answers to basic questions. When unpleasantness does happen, we usually deal with it offline and not as a public debate.

For many year Jaguar used the advertising slogan Grace, Pace and Space. It summed up the aims of founder William Lyons and the type of customer he was aiming at. I only hope the more aggressive advertising current owner Tata are using doesn't start attracting the wrong types to the marque.

Graham

mrplow58 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:35 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I think Jaguar people are different, in that they take joy out of someone solving a problem, and pretty much look after each other as equals, trying to keep our beautiful cars going.

I have found no difference in any of our forums, from the entry cars, to the priceless cars. We all appreciate each others cars, and if someone doesn't maybe they should try one of the earlier mentioned groups. I bought a $3000 XK8 convertible, and I have had nothing but positive remarks on my car, and help on how to make it live a long time.......Just an observation....Mike
I have to agree with all of that, I joined these forums to sort a rough idle problem on my $2000 series one XJ, and have almost rebuilt the car myself with all the help from these forums.

mrplow58 (08-24-2015)