X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there way to force limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there way to force limp mode?

Hi! I actually want to force my 2006 2.2D X-type Estate into limp mode - bear with me.
My intercooler hose, not the top part connected to the EGR, but the pipe that is connected at the bottom of that pipe, which has detached itself from the intercooler box itself. Cruising and tickover no problem, but as soon as engine is under strain, there are air gushing noises, and the turbo cuts out, and then comes back on again - so car ends up kangarooing down the road. There are no warning lights and no limp mode.
It occurs to me that it would be better to drive to the garage (about 10 miles) if the car was in limp mode. So, what is the easiest way to get the car into limp mode, and then set it back again, maybe remove/replace a sensor wire?
Many thanks
Dave

Old 07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I really can't help you with the specific issue you are having, but keep in mind that just because you are in limp mode doesn't mean that any other issue might have won't still matter. In other words, you will still have that same issue you are having under load even if it is in limp mode.

The following users liked this post:
davebaileys (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I really can't help you with the specific issue you are having, but keep in mind that just because you are in limp mode doesn't mean that any other issue might have won't still matter. In other words, you will still have that same issue you are having under load even if it is in limp mode.
Alphadude, I thought limp mode disabled turbo? That was my reasoning, it would stop the kangarooing.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I can't speak to that, someone with knowledge of the diesel X-Type engine can chime in, but limp mode just doesn't enable you to go over like 2800-3000 rpms.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Fair chance that removing fuse(s) (or relay(s)) will do it. Maybe ABS/DSC. Or unplug MAF. Or ... well, just try stuff.