X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermo help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermo help please

as my last post was that my parking sensor have stopped working, ive manged to have a quick look and have now realised that my reverse light also are not working.

what was the new path that u suggested lol.

all fuses are fine
no chirping from the sensors etc
and no reverse lights

your help is appriciated once again.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Jimbob, first off, you will need to check 2 fuses. Check fuses F79 (10 amp) and fuse F94 (20 amp). Make sure that both of these are good. Next, I want you to locate relays R17 (reverse light relay) and R15 (high beam/fog light relay). I want you to swap them. Ie, put the R17 relay in the spot where the R15 relay was, put the R15 where the R17 relay was. Do you have reverse lights now? If yes, you have a bad relay.

Next, remove the relay that is in the R17 spot. If you look on the relay, it should be labeled where it references a number (1 thru 5) to the pins on the relay (should have 5 pins). I need you to reference those numbers to the slots inside the fuse box where the relay sits. Now, using a multimeter, put the black lead against a metal part of the car and place the red lead into the slot for pins 1 and 5 (one at a time) and verify that both spots have 12 VDC (make sure that the ignition switch is in the RUN position, motor off, when doing these checks). If you do not have 12 VDC at one of these 2 locations, then you have a wiring issue between the fuse and this spot on the fuse box (unless the fuse is bad, try replacing the fuse then repeat this check). Next, move the red lead over to pin 2. With the car not in Reverse, you will see the multimeter jumping around a little bit. But, when you shift the car into reverse, it should drop to ideally 0.000 VDC (atleast should drop in valve and be at a constant voltage). If the voltage does not drop, then you have a problem with the instrument cluster or the shifter position sensor and unless you are familiar with the electronics of the car, this is probably better left to a professional.

If everything has passed up to this point, what I want you to do is to get a short piece of wire (or a paper clip that has no coating on it) and bend it into a U so that it will fit between pins 5 and 3. Slide the wire/paper clip (with exposed metal on the ends) into the slots as you have a second person see if the reverse lights light. Odds are, at this point they will not (this just proves that the problem lies in the wiring between the relay and the reverse lights). If the lights do come on, then you made a mistake earlier, reperform the steps.

Hopefully this will at least get you to a known fault. If it is a bad fuse or bad relay (most likely thing to be wrong), replace the component with an identical piece. If you start having to deal with wiring of the car, you can easily mess things up if you do not know what is going on. So, depending on your wiring experience, you may want to try to go further, you may just want to admit defeat and pay someone to fix it for you.

Hopefully this is something simple like a bad relay. Enjoy.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey is you car a manual trans. Have you tried looking at the "in reverse sensor" that's on the trans.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

agree with the above post, it will be the reverse switch which is located on top of the gearbox with a two wire plug on it. Common fault.