Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Things my car needs to get fix according to Mechanics

Mass air flow sensor
Catalytic Converter
Thermostat and housing gasket
Water pump and belt
can anyone help me where i could get all this stuff and please dont tell me dealer i just lost my job and looking for best way to buy the parts

Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Online, they were asking me 400 to fix a smal thing onmy car car and i ended up paying less then a hundred bucks. Excluding laboaur

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

PerezRP, I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. Best of luck in these trying times. I hope you'll land someplace great soon.

If you're going to do some of this work yourself, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Popular Mechanics' Complete Car Care Guide. It's a great handbook on how to fix major car systems.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your car have symptoms...
what year?
what mileage?

It would be quite remarkable (these cars are crap tho) for all that to fail at the same time.

Everything except for the Cat con is easy to do yourself with very basic tools.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can check at local import part suppliers. The place near me charged about the same as the jag dealer though. You could try a junkyard.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ruben, first, check out the local auto parts store. Most of that stuff you should be able to pick up there (except for the mass air flow sensor). They will be the most likely place to get the parts at a decent price. You can look online at say E-bay if you truely need a new mass air flow sensor. But, I truely doubt you need a new MAF this soon in the cars life (unless you have driven the wheels off of it). Odds are, getting an $8 can of MAF cleaner (electrical contact cleaner) will be all that you need. A little squirt in the MAF is all that it takes. Just make sure not to spray any small wires directly. You will need to make sure that you bounce the spray off of a wall and then let it "dribble" on to the wires".

As for the water pump/belt/thermostat/housing, I have to question why you are replacing all of these at the same time. I am assuming you are having an overheating issue. You can inspect the belt yourself to see if it needs replacement (look at the grooved side, bend slightly and look for lots of small cracks-if so, replacement is needed in the near future). I would start with the thermostat to see if that fixes your problem as it is the most likely suspect and is also the cheapest part to fix ($15 at the local auto parts store). Would probably be a good time to do a flush of the system too (extra $4). So, for the thermostat, total of about $30 (thermostat, flush fluid, and new antifreeze). If you have to pay someone to do it for you, then you are probably looking at about $200 to have all that done. But, this job is something that a backyard mechanic can help you with. I'm sure if you have a friend that works on cars and you give him a 6 pack of his favorite suds, he would be more than happy to do it for you. If you are in the Maryland area, I would tell you to come over and I would do it for you.

As for the catalytic converter, unless you ran the wrong fuel through the car or you have tons of miles (over 200K), having that bad would be a surprise too. I would say to first run a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the car first. See if that helps any. I guess I would be asking "what makes the mechanic think the catalytic converter is bad?". Again, it is one of those parts that normally doesn't go bad unless you have lots and lots of miles on the vehicle.

If you need more help and some checks that you can do, let me know.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by thermo
as for the catalytic converter, unless you ran the wrong fuel through the car or you have tons of miles (over 200k), having that bad would be a surprise too. I would say to first run a few bottles of fuel injector cleaner through the car first. See if that helps any. I guess i would be asking "what makes the mechanic think the catalytic converter is bad?". Again, it is one of those parts that normally doesn't go bad unless you have lots and lots of miles on the vehicle.

If you need more help and some checks that you can do, let me know.
since i work on these all day..this is not uncommon, and is useally caused by misfires in the past history of the car. That being said a p0430, p0420 cat ineffiecient codes are useally the reason, but remember this. The down stream is looking at what comes past the cat and when it gets out of the predetermined range that the epa mandates for auto manufacturers for that year, the codes kick out. This does meen you need to replace it to keep the light off and pass a state emmissions insp. But if you can turn off the light and drive till it goes throughi ts readiness checks and the light stays off then get it insp right away. Its only when you cant get the code to quit popping up to get it insp that you need to replace it. Most of the time for the sheer cost of a convertor and x types are "the" most labor intensive convertors to replace(cheap jag, most expensive 1 to maintain). Youre over 1k each installed
on the water pump, its probobly leaking, same with the t stat housing,how bad with your present $$$situation would determine the urgency of repair...just dont let it become a bigger problem like a tow bill and or overheat.. You need to go back, have them put the car in the air and show/explain the need and urgency if at all. And tell them you dont have the money unless its absolutly neccessary...but remember my sig..we dont have crystall *****....something may totally fail when you leave, a yr from now or never...and good luck