Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinkin of gettin a X

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thinkin of gettin a X

Hello all,
I have been going back and forth with what cars I like and would drive in the winter, just don't like my truck anymore.
My girl has a 02 x type for a little over a year now and its hitting 135km mark, so my tools have seen some areas of it, but nothing major..fairly trouble free with the exception of thermostat, belts brakes and speakers..

I have been thinkin I would like one, I would really rather a 5 speed but not opposed to auto..I have my lazy days lol

How are the 3.0 with the 5 speed? And how is the 2.5 with the 5 speed?

Also there is a 02 I'm gonna go look at that claimes to have tiptronic shifting?? Looks like it does from the pictures but my girls 02 doesn't have tiptronic......?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think they're using the term "tiptronic" loosely (read incorrectly). Just because the auto allows you to downshift between gears between 5-2, the computer still controls whether it's "appropriate" in some cases.

For instance, let's say you're in 3rd gear and want to shift early to 5th for "economy". The computer won't allow it because you're not in it's programmed 5th gear range. It will eventually shift into 4th and 5th as IT sees fit, not just because you put the lever there.

A true Tiptronic type trans will immediately shift to any gear you choose as long as it won't stall or over-rev the engine. That's not what we have. But hey, this aint no sports car. It's great for the snow with the right tires.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

MIke, as for getting the car, go for it. They can be a little fussy at times (as you have experienced), but I don't think it is any worse than any other car out there.

As for the triptronic tranny, that is fancy wording they are trying to use for the ability to manually shift the auto tranny. LIke was mentioned, you have the J-Gate shifter which allows you to manually shift the car, but very few people use it that I know of. If there is a different shifter in there that has a true triptronic tranny, you are opening up a can of worms that could be fun for driving, but if you ever have a problem with the car, will be an utter nightmare. The X-Types never came with a "triptronic" tranny (ie, paddles on the steering wheel). So, if it has one, that is a one off modification.

As for finding a manual tranny, I wish you luck. There are not many out there. Most of what you will find are the auto's. So, smile, keep your eyes open, but if you can't find one, don't be surprised.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input, if someone was shifting their car using the j pattern I don't want it..its not ment to be driven daily like that.
I actually found a 02 sport with a 5 speed 3.0, haven't gone to see it yet..the only problem is my girls jag is grey and so is this 1...its tough enough to buy the same car, but same color...I don't want to look like that matching couple you see in the mall with white tennis shoes, blue jeans, turtleneck with a red puffy vest...hahah

I want black or white to match my caddy CTS would be ideal, but ill take whatever.
The prices are just soo cheap on them now, I'm finding 02s with 120km for 6-8grand asking price,
ill be the annoying lowballer who will eventually find someone to sell it cheaper lol.

I put some good snow tires on hers last year and was really impressed with how it handled in the snow and freezing rain...there were people in ditches and I didn't even realise the ground was a sheet of ice till I got out of the car. Ill miss driving a truck, but I won't miss my 14 mpg hwy

Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I have an '05 Sport with the 3.0 manual and love it. I wanted an '05 because I also wanted the carbon fiber/alcantara interior package. Wasn't in a hurry and it took me about 8 months to find the one I wanted on line. Flew out 500 miles to buy it. Kind of leery about doing that at the time, but tried to do my homework ahead of time and a year and two months and 20,000 miles later I have never regretted it. Not sure how hard it is to find 3.0 manuals other years, but they are pretty scarce. '05 was the last year and would have to guess they might have made only a few hundred 3.0 liter manuals that year. They are out there if you look long and hard enough. I'm not sure, but I think at some point for the Sport models they only offered them in black, silver and the gray.

I personally also like shifting myself and in the X the 0-60 is a half second quicker than the auto. Plus, I think the overall mpg is greater if you watch how you shift. Whatever year you choose just do as much research you can before hand. The manuals should be less expensive as they come up as being worh less when you do a search on KBB or the other pricing guides. Personally I think it's an advantage, but to each his own. Also make sure what features you must have as some things are not standard equipment on these cars as you would expect (heated seats, sunroof, etc). Helps when trying do do an apples to apples comparison between cars.

From what I have seen on here seems like there were more issues in the earlier years that got sorted later on, which is another reason to check out the car ahead of time. For what it is worth, I say go for it. You will have a great all weather car that is sporty, unique, relatively fuel efficient, rare and will turn heads for a really good price. Go for it, good luck and let us know what you end up with