X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying my first X type

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying my first X type

I am thinking of buying a 2.0 SE diesel estate, metallic silver, early 04 car on a 53 plate 98,000 miles on the clock - £4359. It drives very well, an all the bits an pieces seem to be working. Full service history (first 6 years Jag main dealer, rest a local garage). Clutch seems fine, can't detect any flywheel faults. Will try and establish if it has had a new clutch.

Only concern is that the passenger side airbag warning light seems to stay on for a long time on start up - it does go out after a few minutes, and that the engine temperature stays very low, barely going past the second sector on the gauge.

Is there anything else I should be cautious about buying an X type at this mileage?

I am planning on using the car as a tug for a small caravan, and hanging on to the car for up to 5 years.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Basso, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of good information here.

As for the car, you have covered most of the things that are going to be an issue. The temp gauge seems a bit odd and more than likely is just needing a new thermostat put into the car. Those are fairly easy to do and if you have some mechanical ability, you can do it yourself for around $50 (30ish euro?) I have replaced the thermostat on my 3.0L motor. Since you are looking at the diesel variant, most of the problems that the X-Type suffers from are going to be removed. So, you should be golden. The other other "possible" issue that you are going to suffer from is the wheel speed sensors. There are rings in the wheel bearings that feed the ABS module. But, those are going to go when they feel like it. Semi-easy repair too. So, I would not worry about it.

The car should be good to you out to 300,000 miles with minimal issues. Enjoy the ride and stick around here.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 AM

OK. I decided to take the plunge and give this car a go. The clutch was replaced at 80,000 miles - cost the previous owner £1200!!! - must have been the main dealer at that price.

I will let you know how things go.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Gulp - I have just spent the last hour reading about the horrendous rust problems in 2003 X types! Only stumbled upon it in the main forum.

Didn't notice anything on the car I am buying, but will double check before stumping up the cash. Is this a common problem in the UK, and did it only mainly affect early cars - mine is an early 2004 model.....

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi there, Welcome to the Jaguar world :-) I have an 02 plated X-type - very basic model but literally no rust *anywhere* (hence my buying it as soon as I laid eyes on it :-)).. so I wouldn't say that it is necessarily a foregone issue on your car.. obviously check the underside and the usual water traps but to be honest I have had other manufacturers cars with far far more corrosion problems than an x-type. My previous Jag was from before the Ford days of Jaguar and suffered badly with rust, but my X-type has to be the cleanest (in terms of corrosion) car to-date for me.... you have less to fear than you think :-) (incidentally now approaching 90,000 still on the original clutch :-))

The following users liked this post:
basso (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Phew - looks like they have suffered worse with rust in the USA. I just hope that they sorted out the problem (drain holes I think) by the the time mine was built. Thinking it might be worth getting the cills waxoyld...

More good news though - the car has had a replacement PAS pump too. Just hope this isn't part of a general pattern of failure......I am of course expecting wear and tear bills over the months and years, but let's just hope they are either DIYable or not horrendous. Is there any way of cosseting the fuel injectors - I hear they can be expensive to replace and do go.....avoid cheap diesel and use a conditioner I expect.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Is there anything else I should be cautious about buying an X type at this mileage?

Of course you will ensure you have two ignition keys and both of them do start the car.
The dreaded locking wheel nut key ( if the domed locking wheel nuts are fitted) is present.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Keys - 2 - check. Wheel nut key - 1 - check. Thanks for the heads up though!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Welcome to the Forum!

Now that I see the replies, it seems that you have a good start. Good luck with your Estate; I have always wanted the wagon! Bill here in Ohio USA