X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on an X-type problem (s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Thoughts on an X-type problem (s)

This is what I posted in the new members forum and someone suggested I post it here to get a different take. I have a 2004 X-type Estate, with 80000KM.

Thanks you all for the welcome. I'm on the west coast of Canada in a burb of Vancouver called Langley. Love the car, a real pleasure to drive but unfortunately not without issues. I'll relate the story.

I bought it from a non Jag dealership simply because after seeing the Estate both my SO and I really liked it. I have always had a soft spot for British cars having had a succesion of MGs, Triumphs (3 TR7s) and most recently a Discovery (DII). So when we happened to find this one with relatively decent KM on it in absolutely mint condition inside and out we bought it.

On the 20 minute drive home the CEL lit up and the screen told me the gas cap was loose, no biggy I pulled over and retightened it and the message went away although the light stayed on. I called the dealership when I got home and told them and they said it would probably cycle off in a day or so. I didn't really think much of it as I drive imports and there is usually a CEL issue sometime. BUT 2 days later I'm on the highway in the rain and I get the dreaded Gearbox Fault and the car goes into limp mode (the only forward gear is 4th) so I limp it home, call the dealership and expecting the worse gear up for an agruement. To their credit it was all apologies and we'll get her fixed, don't worry we'll take care of everything!!!! So I take it to the closest Jag dealership as they're the only ones who can crack into the codes, my local tranny guy couldn't but after he had everything unplugged it cleared it and allowed me to drive the 20KM to the dealership.

They came back with a PO758 Solenoid code but try as they might they could get it to reoccur, but cleared it, did the continuety check and gave her back, the other guys had everything paid for prior to me getting there to pick it up.

I drove a couple of days and then the CEL was back although this time with no fault on the screen. So now it'sback at Jag, getting a complete going over at the other guys expense, I'm drivig a courtesy car in the interim. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Update

So after all the CEL lights it was an evap error that was caused by a leaking gas cap.

And the saga continues.

As much as I love the car (when it drives) my patience are almost at an end. So yesterday, which is almost 2 weeks since the car was last in the Jag dealership I'm driving along and stop at a traffic light. Up until that point the car has been flawless, everything perfect apart from the bass buzzing in the passengers door but a joy to drive. We had snow here and the car was awesome with the snows on.

So I stop at the traffic light and when it turns green I take my foot off the brake and and there is a bump.....I thought at first the guy behind me bumped me it was like that....but I gave it gas and there was a tiny hesitation before I moved. I drove a couple of blocks and again a red light and again when it turned green the same thing except a longer hesitation this time and very sluggish to go. Once I was over 5KMH it was fine. But I was now aware there was something going on. I pulled over and then started off again andthis time it was like starting in fifth...not limp mode I have been through that and this was different. No CEL, no gearbox fault or any warning lights just started in fifth (I think) then after a second or 2 would be in first and off I'd go. Once I was moving it was normal. I checked sport mode and the same thing at start up, turned off traction control, no difference. So I pulled over in a parking lot and shut it down.

Starts perfect, goes into park fine.....but new wrinkle now...no reverse. Again starts in fifth, doesn't seem like its slipping just no guts because I'm starting in fifth but then suddenly it will be back in 1st and off I go.

Needless to say it' back at the dealership and we'll see what it is. I suspect from the original gearbox fault, talking with the Jag people and reading it's the TCM. I read in the workshop manual thing that is in the X-Series forum that based on the symptoms it looks lieka pooched tranny but more likely the TCM is fried.

I'll let you know.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sidewalkman, I know a lot of members have had problems with their throttlebodies and that has caused them all sorts of tranny issues. I don't know the details of how the throttlebody (air control valve for the engine) can affect the tranny, but it does. Normally people get the dreaded gear box failure and the limp home problem. I would bring this up with the dealership and have them take a good look. You want the dealership to fix this on the other guys dime, not you fixing it as you would end up spending around $1600 (USD) to have this fixed.

I think once you get past this trouble, you will have lots of carefree driving. yes the Kitty can throw a lot of temper tantrums, but you be good to her and she will be good to you.

If you need more help, let me know. I will do what I can.