X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body Code -in LIMP MODE P0121

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle body Code -in LIMP MODE P0121

04' X-Type 3.0 AWD 79K miles. Hoping someone can help. Last night i was stuck behind someone driving 10mph for a few miles, so when i had the opputunty i WOT to pass and after releasing the pedal i had an immediate loss of power. It also felt like the car was in neutral. Car would not respond to any throtte input and i had the power train light on. I pulled over and noticed the engine had a very high idle. Shut down, restarted. No lights were on, i drove for a few hundred feet and the same thing happened again. But now power train and chk engine light were on. Restarted again and was able to drive home with just the chk engine light whithout incident.

Ran a scan this morning and found P0121, which is the Throttle body sensor. Anyone have the same issue and a source for this part. Have to be honest the tranny light with what appeared to be the car in neutral had me worrying this might be a tranns issue. I am hoping its jst the TBS. Presume cleaning these is not an option either. Appreciate the help.

Last five of my VIN are 95744.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

My car did the same thing. A new throttle body fixed it.

However, every once in a while it does something similar, without a code, and it must be shut down for a couple of minutes. Attempting a restart quickly results in no improvement. This is generally related to the cruise control being turned on or off.

I did hear of an aftermarket throttle body repair service, for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM

The same thing happened to me just this morning (powertrain/engine malfunction light came on followed by loss of power) immediately after turning off cruise control (from 70 mph). i also noticed the high idling (above 2000 rpm) when I turned the engine off. Waited 10 minutes to restart engine then drove off using surface streets. i was informed by 2 separate mechanics who specialize in Jaguar that I need to replace the transfer case on my 2002 a/t with 114,000 miles about 2 months ago, but i decided to put it off because of the cost. Could this be related to what just happened, or is the throttle body the culprit?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Default TB CLeaning

I cleaned the TB today, used contact cleaner at the connections, then applied some dieelectric grease. I'll do a hard reset tmrow. As for now its idling a bit higher than usual but that seems to be normal when cleaning TB. I'm hoepful that a cleaning is all it needed, but lets just say i wont be surprised if it happens again. I've read that the TPS is available in Europe, i'll have to check that , have a few friends in Europe.

I'll post the outcome.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Default Freeze Frame

Just posting the freeze frame for P0121

Attached Thumbnails Throttle body Code -in LIMP MODE P0121-freeze-frame.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by love's_jag
The same thing happened to me just this morning (powertrain/engine malfunction light came on followed by loss of power) immediately after turning off cruise control (from 70 mph). i also noticed the high idling (above 2000 rpm) when I turned the engine off. Waited 10 minutes to restart engine then drove off using surface streets. i was informed by 2 separate mechanics who specialize in Jaguar that I need to replace the transfer case on my 2002 a/t with 114,000 miles about 2 months ago, but i decided to put it off because of the cost. Could this be related to what just happened, or is the throttle body the culprit?
Please look up my posts on the transfer case prior to spending all that cash. It is possible (maybe even likely) that all you need to do is replace the 2 "prop shaft" bearings in the T/C. It's not difficult for a qualified shop or individual to do this job. About $100 in parts and 4 hours labor.

The cruise control related engine shutdown seems to be some sort of glitch with these cars. Mine has done it since new. Jaguar has never been able to fix it, and it's always resets itself with a 2+ minute shutdown/restart.

The following users liked this post:
love's_jag (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Default Just happened again

did a hard reset this morning and drove around for over an hour. Actaully drove over to the FIAT dealer to see when the Abarths are comming.

On the wat back it did it again, its definately comming out of gear, the trans light comes on and i coasted to the side of the road. There is no throttle response, engine revving at around 2000.

Restarted and it ran fine for a hundered feet then did the same. After that i made it home , several miles without incident.

getting codes P0121 and now P1516.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM

I'm suppose to bring my car back to a local mechanic tomorrow to have him assess a prior break job (replaced all pads and rotors) he performed a couple of months ago. It's now making a squeaky noise just before the car comes to a stop, which is somewhat annoying. I noticed though that I'm able to avoid the annoying squeak if I put the gear in neutral just before coming to a full stop. Then, I'll have him check the prop shaft bearings to see if it's the cause of the problem. I'll also ask him to see if the engine/powertrain malfunction light generated some kind of code.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Default update

I decided to change the pedal actuator/sensor first since it was only $70. Ran fine for 2 days, and it seemed to be much more responsive. After about 100 miles it did it again, same fault code P0121. I should mention that i took the car to the dealer prior to changing the pedal and they quoted 1650+ labor for the throttle body.

I ordered a rebuilt unit from ASI (aka Auto and Truck Electronics) late this afternoon and have already rcvd a note that it shipped. Should have it Tuesday.

Hoping this cures the problem.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my throttle body. I got the part from Nally Jag. Wonderful people! If you have someone to put it in, that's the way to go. Pricey at a dealership to get it put in.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Would you be willing to post the price of the aftermarket replacement throttle body?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM

I think it came to 505 with shipping. check their website, believe they post their prices online.
http://www.autoecu.com/byParts.php

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I recently had my TB rebuilt by ACI and this link will explain what I did and who I had rebuilt it. JagRepair.com - XK8ThrottleBodyRR I hope this helps.

Last edited by Gus; 02-20-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had exactly same problem - replaced the throttle body (it's an easy job - takes about an hour) and that seems to have fixed it for me.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The link posted above is for a rebuilt one, I didn't much like that idea and got a new one, best price I found was partsgeek.com - about half of what dealers charge.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This was to rebuild my TB. I did not want someone else’s problems

Originally Posted by Gus
I recently had my TB rebuilt by ACI and this link will explain what I did and who I had rebuilt it. JagRepair.com - XK8ThrottleBodyRR I hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Gus, I used the same company you suggested, although the webiste shows ASI. Anyway, i couldnt afford to be without a car any longer so i had them ship me a TB right away, its out for deilvery today and will install tonight. It carries a lifetime warrenty, so hopefully this is the last time i have to deal with this.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  19.3 KB

update when you can mimmo

Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM

TB arrived today as sked. Immedietly after startup it would not idle. Seemed to be smooth throughout the rest of the rpm range. I managed to get it out of the garage for a test drive and after a few minutes of driving it would idle, but very very low, around 500 rpm.

Took it back for a test run an hour later and got into the throttle hard, about 3/4 down and then let off the throttle completely, thats when it went into limp mode again ! Same issue i've been experiencining. I plan on calling ASI in the morning. Lets see what they say.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Spoke with ASI today and have to say they were very courteous and determined to correct any issues. First things first, the idle needed to be adjusted by rotating the TPS slightly. Very simple to do without having to remove any components. Basically loosen the 2 torx screws and rotate the TPS counterclockwise (top screw toward the rear of the car) to increase RPM. I made a small adjustment with the car off and it seems to be fine now. Cold start is about 1000 rpm and idles around 700 rpm warm. I'll leave it as is and take it to work tmrow, about 50 miles R/T. Second part of this is the fault code , i report back to ASI tmrow, again they seem very committed to get this right.

Quick Reply: Throttle body Code -in LIMP MODE P0121