X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle pedal sensor again? Why?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle pedal sensor again? Why?!

I put in a new throttle pedal sensor last week and the car ran great for a few days and then popped up with the ! and the engine light. Again. My ex checked the trouble code and it was the throttle pedal sensor again. He checked and made sure it's in good and tight and cleared the code.

My question is, what are the chances that the new sensor is defective?

The following users liked this post:
Peter James (04-20-2022)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jo, with modern day electronics, you may have a bad one straight out of the box. That is just how it is with these electronics. I wish the answer was better, but that is the short of the story. If you need another one installed, let me know.

Peter James (04-20-2022)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Ok, thanks. We'll see in the next few days. It took less than a week for the code to pop up again. I've been wondering if the sensor was just defective.

Peter James (04-20-2022)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 PM

If you're reading this, please pray that the part is defective and there isn't another problem! I'm dropping the car off at the dealership tonight so they can do a computer diagnostic on it tomorrow. If the part is defective, they'll replace it free because I bought the part there. It could judt be that the code needs to be cleared.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

Jo, while I don't want to bring bad luck on you, it is somewhat sounding like a bad throttlebody. Granted, without knowing the exact code you are getting, I am taking a bit of a guess here. Our cars do have a temper with the throttlebodies and they can be a source of many heartaches like this. Now for the part that you are really not going to like: a new throttlebody through the dealership is like $1600. You can get it rebuilt for around $400, but that is taking the car out of service for about a week as you get the throttlebody sent off to be rebuilt. The dealership will not rebuild it to the best of my knowledge.

I wish you luck and hopefully see you up in Richmond.

Peter James (04-20-2022)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, Thermo, it looks like I won't be in Richmond. That's disappointing.

The dealership says it's the throttle body alright. And squirrels have shredded some of the wiring to the MAP or MAPS (not sure) sensor. It also needs some maintenance work.

The service manager wrote me a list of what needs to be done and said most of that is just maintenance. I've been faithful about getting the oil changed but as far as lubricating things or changing out gaskets and hoses, etc., I haven't had any of that done since I bought her two years ago. My ex always took care of vehicle maintenance and the other things just hadn't occurred to me. I'm throttle body shopping and he's going to fix her for me, except for the oil pan/gasket thingee.

I never would have guessed in 100 years that squirrels were chewing wires. There are at least four trees in my yard and my next door neighbor's yard that have squirrel nests. Or it could be my tree mouse; he climbs in the crepe myrtles that hang over my driveway and cracks the seed pods and eats them. (sigh) I may have to let my cat, Pickle, outside to mouse and chase squirrels a bit. He's a good boy; he doesn't leave the yard. Much. And I'll have to park the car in the garage from now on.

Uh oh, looks like I'm rambling. Enjoy the Jag show! Take some pictures and post them if you can, ok? I'll definitely be getting to one later, and come to think of it, I've never taken the Jag on a road trip.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

Jo, look on e-bay. That is where you will find the guys that rebuild the throttlebodies for fairly cheap. The big problem that I am finding is that no one sells the pieces like I am after. The best place (if you are going to find one locally) for you is there was at one time a European auto parts place one block to the east of the corner of Military Highway and Little Creek road. I don't know if they are still there. But, you may want to get to know them. I know they were able to get parts and pieces that the other auto parts places couldn't. See if they see parts known as: 1) throttle position sensor and 2) throttle body actuator. You replace those 2 pieces and you have essentially rebuilt the throttle body. If you can buy them, they will probably cost you about $300 total (guessing). I think you could probably replace these parts as they are nothing more than remove a few screws, remove the old, put on the new and re-install the screws.

As for the wiring, wish I was there. I have some stuff at my house that we could probably get you all fixed up for nothing. If your ex is willing to do the wiring stuff, have him find some stuff called "Raychem 070". Once he sees what it is, he will love the stuff. If he has never heard of it, tell him it is shrink wrap on steroids. Great stuff.

If you are needing a place to go to for a joy ride, come on up. You can get into the vacation land I live in. I live a few miles from Solomons Island. Nice place. Besides, if you need some maintenance done, we can probably fit that in too. As for the leaking oil pan, pass on it unless it is a semi significant leak. The work to replace the gasket is more work than it is worth. You have to drop the transfer case (unless you are willing to cut a hole in the transfer case bracing) to get access to a bolt for the oil pan. A royal PITA. So, if it isn't too bad (ie, more than a quart every 1,000 miles), let it be and just keep a better eye on the oil level.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Hey, I just bought the throttle pedal sensor. I wonder if that's the same thing as the throttle position sensor. Maybe all I need is the actuator. I'll find out tomorrow. Maybe it isn't all as bad as it seems. lol

I just might take you up on that joy ride as soon as I get her fixed and back on the road!

Last edited by baycliffpwds; 09-16-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

Jo, unfortunately, no it is not. The throttle pedal sensor is inside the cab of the car, the throttle position sensor is mounted to the side of the throttlebody on the engine. I wish they were the same. So, unfortunately, you are not in luck.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Well that figures! lol

Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Awww ,cute little squirrel. he he he he.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM

he he he indeed! lol

Unless they can pick the lock on the garage door and open it, my baby is now safe! he he he lmao Gotta find some humor in it somewhere!

Old 04-20-2022, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Type 3.0ltr Ja6

Originally Posted by baycliffpwds
If you're reading this, please pray that the part is defective and there isn't another problem! I'm dropping the car off at the dealership tonight so they can do a computer diagnostic on it tomorrow. If the part is defective, they'll replace it free because I bought the part there. It could judt be that the code needs to be cleared.
🤔 = am just weighing in on your positive comment posted here,,,now am known as an oldschool fanatic of European cars,,here's my question to you,,do all Jaguars use the very same pedal throttle sensor 🙄 ????

Old 04-20-2022, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts