X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touchscreen w/ Cassette to CD?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Touchscreen w/ Cassette to CD?

The goal is a touchscreen Nav with CD player.

My car has the digital climate controls and a CD player.

I have found several Jag head units for sale with the Touchscreen Nav and a Cassette player.

If I purchase a Nav/Cassette unit, can I just unscrew the cassette and replace with my current CD player?

Again, the goal is a touchscreen Nav with CD player. Thoughts?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Yes you can swap the tape for CD, it's plug & play, just be sure to get the radio code or at least the VIN of the donor car. Be careful that the radio frequencies need reprogramming by a dealer if the come from a different continenent USA/EU/JP/AUS

Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Cool thanks. How does one find he radio code of a donor car?

Few more questions for the techies out there:

To use GPS nav thru the car speaker, all I need is the Jaguar Touchscreen GPS head unit? Is that plug and play? Should work all climate controls too, right?

To talk on the phone thru car speakers, I need to add a Jaguar Bluetooth Module? Also plug and play?

Does the car already have microphones built in? I see the plastic grill on the overhead controls where the mics should be. If not, do they come with the bluetooth module?

To play my iPhone music thru my car stereo, I need to add the Audio Control Module (ACM)?

So, with GPS nav, Bluetooth Module, and ACM, the car will be fully provisioned to perform any task the Jaguar had ever intended it to do? I do have a CD Change in the trunk, but I dont have premium sound. What components/features does premium sound add over the base system?

Lotta questions, I know. Thanks.

Last edited by rclangelan; 01-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Oh wait I misread your first post.

No the radio is different if you have Nav, it's not a straight swap with the non-Nav cars.

Retrofitting Nav to your car is possible, but it requires some custom wiring.

It's been done many times before, I suggest you do a search for Navigation or Touchscreen Retrofit,

You need the screen, a radio, the DVD drive for the trunk, a remote climate control module, GPS antenna, and the wiring.

The bluetooth is an additional step, you need a phone module, bluetooth module, and the microphone (your car does not have a microphone fitted, those grilles are reserved for the security system).

If I was faced with a non-nav car, I would go for an aftermarket double-din, it's not worth the cost of retrofitting navigation, phone and acm. For much less than the cost of sourcing oem parts, you'll find a double-din that does everything.

Sorry for the bum-steer, I first read this post on my phone & missed the retrofit aspect.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Good stuff. Thanks. Will the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket double-din unit?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM

It's possible to use the steering wheel controls, it's been done, off the top of my head i don't know which brand/model stereo, but try searching on the forum here, there are several examples.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not on an x, I've done multiple stock steering wheel controls to aftermarket stereos. You need a convertor and just wire it in to the stock radio. There not that bad to put in and you wire it in when you install the new headunit.

Steering wheel control adapter

Hopefully that link will help you.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you can get a new code for your new stereo if you have the serial number off the back using this website.

www.radio-code.lt