X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny issues

Aaaaargh! So this morning I get in my car... back up out of the driveway, put it in drive and... wel... let's say a lot of rpm's and little to no acceleration. Either the tranny was slipping or I temporarily lost either the front or the back drive to the wheels...
Funny thing is that after going grocery shopping, I get in the car and the car drove just fine.

So now I am wondering if the cold alone can make a tranny slip like that? OR has anyone else had a similar problem? Either way... it concerns me, but with the rates jag dealers charge to diagnose a problem, I'm not sure I can afford the tranny to go bad...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
KandA

Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

KandA, I would first check the level in the tranny. If the fluid level is low, it can cause what you are seeing. There is an inspection port on the side of the tranny that the fluid should be up to the bottom edge of the port. If not, fill until it is. Beyond that, not sure what to tell you unless you managed to have the gear shifter between detents. THis would then cause the car to be in neutral and rev up with no movement of the tires.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the tip, Thermo.

This port you are talking about, you don't happen to have a pic of that or know for a site where someone has a pic up for it?

I think I might just have to bite the bullet... spark of hope, though, I think when I bought the car I bought a warranty... it might cover a tranny issue (less a $200 deductible or something)... I am calling them on Monday (for some reason they think they don't need to work on Sunday, silly warranty people) to see about that.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

KandA, I don't have any pictures that would be helpful to you. I am not sure where any would be either. There are two plugs you have to play with. One is on top of the tranny, this is the fill plug. The other is the level port, it is located on the side of the tranny (I believe on the side near the tire). The port is right under where the shft cable connects up to the tranny (atleast that is how it looks on the sample picture in in the JTIS, but it doesn't show the whole tranny).

To check the level, you will want to drive the car for a few minutes to get the tranny up to temp. Then you will need to lift the car up so you can access the under side. You will then need to start the engine again and move the gear shifter through all the positions slowly, returning back to P. At this point, pull the level check plug. A very little bit of fluid should come out of the port. No fluid, more should be added.

To add fluid, you will need to insert the level check cap, turn off the engine, and remove the fill port. Add in a 1/2 quart of tranny fluid. Reinstall the fill port, start the engine and remove the level check port. If you have fluid, then level is where it needs to be. If not, repeat until the level is where it needs to be.

Wish I could be more specific, but this is the best I can do at the moment.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the info, Thermo... this issue has taken a turn for the worse, however... this morning, the car did not move at all... it is currently on a flatbed on its way to the jag dealer... ugh!
Any idea what a tranny replacement costs these days?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

KandA, how old is your youngest? Just kidding. I would probably plan on spending about $3-4000 on the new tranny to be installed. But then, it will greatly depend on how much the dealership is going to charge you for the tranny too.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, seeing as though I already sold my left kidney for the previous issue with the car and the time before that it cost me an arm and a leg (not easy typing with one arm here...)... I might be able to get a good $10 for my firstborn... he's 17... nobody will want that... lol.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

KandA, you might get a lot for him. He seems to know everything right? That has to be worth something. Come on, how many people are looking for someone that knows everything? LMAO. Gotta love them at that age. IF you didn't, they would never make adulthood.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Thermo, you seem interested... first $11526 takes the kid AND the car! Any takers? Going once...

Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

haha u guys are funny, but i guess we do know everything.........

Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM

OMG! Happy Dance! Turns out the dealer who sold us the car also put an extra warranty on it... tranny is covered... so the dealer where we took it called the warranty company for authorization to replace the tranny and now the warranty ppl decided to send out an adjuster... Makes me wonder if the warranty people are thinking about declaring it totaled... The KBB value on the car is only $4500 and the tranny will run much more than that... if they DO declare it totaled, thank goodness for GAP insurance... if they don't I should have my cat back in 2 weeks with a brandy spanky new tranny!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

Sounds like you are getting a hell of a deal. Granted, I am sure the adjuster is there just to verify that the tranny is actually bad. Sit back and see. I would be half tempted on seeing what the insurance company would want for the car after declaring it "totaled" (if it goes that way). I bet you could pick it up for under $1000 and then have a tranny shop drop in a used tranny for another $2500. Then you can turn around, sell the car and really make some money. He he he he he.