Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Transfer Case

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew who makes the transfer cases in our X types? I know the auto tranny is made by Jatco, but is it the same with the transfer case?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to attempt a rebuild on her, replacing all the bearings and guessing on the preload that they need. (Of course I'll do some major research on preload before setting it.) I would like to contact the manufacture of the transfer case to see if they could give me any information…

Thanks,

Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Can't remember the name, but certainly not Jatco and it has been mentioned in a thread here. I think it was some company owned by Ford.

Regarding bearings and preloads, cujet knows some stuff:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-p-ns-60135/

Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Visteon (Ford sub).

Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Justicejamesb
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew who makes the transfer cases in our X types? I know the auto tranny is made by Jatco, but is it the same with the transfer case?
The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to attempt a rebuild on her, replacing all the bearings and guessing on the preload that they need. (Of course I'll do some major research on preload before setting it.) I would like to contact the manufacture of the transfer case to see if they could give me any information…

Thanks,
Ya I would research even some better bearings if possible to replace them with if you are attempting a rebuild anyway

Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_H
Visteon (Ford sub).
Thanks!

Here's Cambo's post on it + a few links.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...52/#post404913

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Before you go crazy removing the thing and overhauling the entire unit, consider replacing just the prop shaft bearing set while it's still installed in the car. It's a reasonably simple job and only has one really tricky bolt.

When I did the task, more than 40,000 miles ago, I was convinced the entire unit was "on it's last legs" and just replacing the 2 lower bearings would be a "band aid" kind of fix. Ha! Proved me wrong. It's been trouble free ever since.

The only thing I did that a typical shop might not have done is to use a small "harbor freight" parts washer, place it under the TC and carefully, but comprehensively, flush out any trace of debris in the TC. Plenty of junk came out!

One time, I actually ran the car in gear, up on 4 jack stands to mix up the fluid a bit, while flushing. But I think that was months prior to bearing replacement. (it's been a while, so don't hold me to what I remember

Anyway, the lower "prop shaft bearing set" is the set that goes bad. Mine has been 100% quiet since the repair.

As far as preload goes, you won't have much choice due to the simple nature of the design. You will need to use a heavy duty, 1/2 inch impact wrench to remove the nut, and to re-install it to some torque. When you torque it, check the preload by "feel". A very slight drag is perfect.

Don't forget to put sealant under the nut prior to installation.

I'll bet you a dollar this is all your TC needs. BTW, I did re-use the seal and the o-ring. Total cost was about a hundred bucks.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to get a new transmission, the 3-4 band is snapped. So, while I replace that I was thinking of just rebuilding the unit, putting in new bearings and setting preload on it. When I get the money to do this I'll make sure I put it on youtube so that everyone knows what I did…
Thanks so much for the reply.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I have to get a new transmission, the 3-4 band is snapped. So, while I replace that I was thinking of just rebuilding the unit, putting in new bearings and setting preload on it. When I get the money to do this I'll make sure I put it on youtube so that everyone knows what I did…
Thanks so much for the reply.
I see, that makes a bunch more sense. Still, if there is nothing wrong with it, why make too much work?