X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Fluid Question

So since I just go my jag a couple of months ago I would like to do some preventative maintenance and I have heard the transfer case fluid mentioned on here a few times so it concerns me. My X-Type just turned over 115k. I want to change the transfer case fluid but it is something I have never done before. How do you do it and should I get the fluid from the dealer? Also what else should I change or check at this mileage?
Thanks,
Tony

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

so first lets tackle the tcase fluid question:
Go here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-hosted-3717/
and follow the steps! I have done this about 3 times so that I don't have to take out my tcase as you will have to fill it from the drain valve. I filled it with royal purple fully synthetic and I am very glad I performed this. Don't ask the dealer about this. They will not do this because they see you as $$$ and say the case is "sealed for life"

As for the 115k, you have the same mileage as me. You will have to do spark plugs (MAJOR PITA and costs about $600 if you can't do it yourself) which requires removing the intake manifold. You should also swap out fuel filter and air filter. And you should probably do the rear diff fluid. Also, because you have an 02 you should swap out your pcv valve and pcv hose during the plug swap. If you feel like it, you should also do your o2 sensors for better mileage and clean your MAF sensor. Kinda a long laundry list, but Right now all I have left is the plugs and rear diff!

The following 2 users liked this post by disguay:
Bill400 (07-21-2013), Rigsby94 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Ok yeah I can do all that myself so no dealer will be getting my money lol. Thanks for the input and advice though! Now the only question I have is how do you clean the MAF sensor? I have never done this and I know it's not hard to mess one up.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
so first lets tackle the tcase fluid question:
Go here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-hosted-3717/
and follow the steps! I have done this about 3 times so that I don't have to take out my tcase as you will have to fill it from the drain valve. I filled it with royal purple fully synthetic and I am very glad I performed this. Don't ask the dealer about this. They will not do this because they see you as $$$ and say the case is "sealed for life"

As for the 115k, you have the same mileage as me. You will have to do spark plugs (MAJOR PITA and costs about $600 if you can't do it yourself) which requires removing the intake manifold. You should also swap out fuel filter and air filter. And you should probably do the rear diff fluid. Also, because you have an 02 you should swap out your pcv valve and pcv hose during the plug swap. If you feel like it, you should also do your o2 sensors for better mileage and clean your MAF sensor. Kinda a long laundry list, but Right now all I have left is the plugs and rear diff!

I have an 05 X-type and I have 116K on it, I just got it like 2 months ago, of course I asked Jaguar here about draining the tranny fluid and the TC fluid also, and they said If i want that Im asking for trouble because those are set for like, any way I think i wanna do that same laundry list to mine, have you done the Tranny fluid? Also I followed that link for the TC fluid flush, and I downloaded the PowerP presentation, my question to you is since youve done it a couple of times did you get that same valve that was posted on that presentation, or did you use something else for the draining and filling of the TC?

thanks

Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

I just went to the hardware store with the OEM plug that goes on the tcase and found an NPT pipe fitting made out of nylon that had a nipple for clear tubing on one side of it. I opted not to use the valve that they were talking about because I wanted to get all the metal fragments out of my case and keep them out! With my plug, I still had to grind it down a bit to get it to fit, but it wasn't too hard.

I did the tranny fluid on my 5spd and did a writeup on these forums about everything that is needed to fill and drain in. I am not educated with the auto transmission, but that question has been answered on these forums too. Just do an "advanced search"

As for MAF sensor, just get MAF sensor cleaner and spray it on. The only way you screw them up is by touching them....

Last edited by disguay; 05-10-2012 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ar15fonsi (05-11-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Good list

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM

I just went to the hardware store with the OEM plug that goes on the tcase and found an NPT pipe fitting made out of nylon that had a nipple for clear tubing on one side of it. I opted not to use the valve that they were talking about because I wanted to get all the metal fragments out of my case and keep them out! With my plug, I still had to grind it down a bit to get it to fit, but it wasn't too hard.

I did the tranny fluid on my 5spd and did a writeup on these forums about everything that is needed to fill and drain in. I am not educated with the auto transmission, but that question has been answered on these forums too. Just do an "advanced search"

As for MAF sensor, just get MAF sensor cleaner and spray it on. The only way you screw them up is by touching them....
Was your NPT pipe something that looks like this?

Nylon Hose Barb x Male Pipe (NPT)

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

ar15fonsi, you got it right! I think it's 1/2" NPT thread with the largest diameter nipple on it, but I could be wrong. If you use a small diameter nylon tubing you will have to use the Royal Purple gear oil bottle as a sort of pump to expedite the filling process. You can do the valve that was explained in the power point, but I would only use that for short term between flush cycles because it will not pull the metal fragments out of the lube. If you want to do anything long term, use the OEM plug because it has the magnet on the end of it which will pull these harmful fragments out of your lube and reduce wear.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM

I was reading up on some write ups on here and I was wondering does anyone know if the sell like a kit or anything that comes with the fittings and everything you need to change the TC case fluid?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

rigsby, they do in fact sell a kit to do it. One member on here sells it. I do not remember who, but there are a lot of them floating around because one member will use it and then sell it to another member and the circle just keeps continuing

Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM

rigsby, they do in fact sell a kit to do it. One member on here sells it. I do not remember who, but there are a lot of them floating around because one member will use it and then sell it to another member and the circle just keeps continuing
Woa if anyone finds out who has one for sale please let me know

Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Ok that's great. I have searched for it but haven't found anything just yet. I will probably make a post up to see if anyone can point me to who sells them.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

I have searched a bit for you guys too and didn't seem to find it. I know it exists and I know members sell them! Check the for sale section?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

The members name is wild bill. He sells a tcase fill kit https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-plugs-34404/

The following users liked this post:
Ar15fonsi (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM

The members name is wild bill. He sells a tcase fill kit https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-plugs-34404/
Thanks, I emailed him hope he's still active and still makes them ^^

Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM

i tried making my own homemade tc pump and failed
the 1/4th turn knob wouldnt fit and the 1/2 threaded hex wouldnt either
their was not enough space their
i tried 3 different types of turn knobs and 2 different size hex nipples.
My next try is the rear diff

Old 07-19-2012, 06:05 AM

Wouldnt fit as in the tc fluid release hole