X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmissiom fill, now strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmissiom fill, now strange noise

I just got my x-type a month ago and it only has 15k miles on it, I decided to change out all the fluids since they are old. I've successfully swapped them all and made it to the tranny this week. I did the drain and fill method, driving it for a day after each drain and fill. I did this 3 times and did not use the level check until day 3. Each day it drive fine if not better than fine with the new Amsoil ATF. Day 3 it drove fine until I got home after heating things up to do the level check.... I made an epic mistake and didn't have the car running for the level check and a whole lot more than I expected drained out. I didn't realize my mistake, started it up and noticed a strange whirring noise when the transmission was engaged. I drove it some and it went away as the fluid heated, then it dawned on me that I made a mistake and was probably low on fluid. So today I added some but it's still noisy, level check just allowed a few dribbles out.

Should I add more and ignore the level check?? Is my tranny toast?

On a side note the original fluid I drained was a beautiful red and smelled very fruity. I was very surprised that it looked like this after 10 1/2 years.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:41 PM

So the strange noise hasn't improved, I investigated a bit further and believe it to be the flex plate or something in that region. I popped off the inspection cover and looked around to see if anything was amiss. I'm not certain how many bolts there are supposed to be attatching the flex plate but there are a lot of holes where bolts may have been, I didn't turn the engine by hand because I didn't know how but I turned the car on and off several times... Best I can tell is there are maybe 2-3 bolts on there.

What is there supposed to be? How do I fix this?

Also, here's a video and pics.

http://youtu.be/G-38ynv8srY

Several holes like this one

There's one of the bolts on the right, I couldn't get to them to check their torque. It seems you must hand crank the engine.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIIRC there are 4 bolts to the flex plate. I think the whirring noise is air in the pump so maybe add 1/2 liter at a time and then check the drain plug. I have had the car idle for 30 minutes with a scanner hooked up before it hits the correct temp to drain--so err on the conservative side and really let the transmission oil heat up----I have rebuilt this transmission and when you remove the torque converter here must be 2 liters of fluid in it. That's why the multiple drain intervals... Also have rebuilt the transfer case so if you need tips let me know--have one on car and one rebuild on the shelf as well as a spare tranny. Of course the car is sitting in the tall grass because it has a p1799 and p1638 code that I am trying to sort out...my most reliable British car is a 24 year old Lotus--go figure

David

Old 09-12-2015, 12:43 PM

So you think the noise is due to being underfilled and not the flex plate? Could I have damaged the tranny by having it underfilled? I topped it up and drained the stand pipe at least 3 times with the tranny hot just to be sure but I didn't use anything to accurately test the fluid temp, just my touch.