Sponsored by:

Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>drain and got 3.5 qts out, I refilled with 4.5 qts just in case it needed

Just remember, as covered in other threads, the rest of the ATF remains in the torque converter and the transmission cooler. To really get rid of all the ATF you have to drain/fill, run, drain/fill, run, ...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following 2 users liked this post by pab:
Kiknazz (11-10-2012), Lcgi (05-03-2013)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 x-type tranny & Xfer fluid change

Just bought this 2004 x-type 3.0 with 104k on it and have had the front end on jack stands for two days now checking things out. Drained the trans fluid and got 4.5 liters (4.75 Qts). So I refilled it with that amount of Castrol Import Multi ATF. Did not do level plug yet, was unsure where it was until I saw the pics on here. Very helpful, THANK YOU! Not sure why I got more than 3.5 Qts out but maybe it was overfilled or the angle of the car on jack stands. Would like to know if there is a trans filter on this model, the pan is on the side of the trans, not the bottom. I also saw where it was said to throw away the level plug and gasket ring and replace with new. Is this really needed? It is the hex head type.
I also drained the X-fer case oil, it was a honey color, not to dark, but I only got 120 ml out. I suspect there is a lot more in there that won`t come out from this plug. I watched the power point on flushing this out and saw the oil/flush level on the plastic pipe. Was that 500 ml level? I don`t want to overfill it and maybe blow out a seal from thermal expansion, or is there a vent?
A work in progress.
Thanx for any help on this.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If more than 3.5 quarts came out, the trans was overfilled. No matter how much comes out, you should only put 3 to 3.5 quarts back in. If it is overfilled by too much, it can get air whipped into the fluid, and the trans won't work right. Since you put in 4.5 quarts, I would recommend draining out 1 to 1.5 quarts. Then, since you probably don't know what kind of fluid it had in it, do what pab suggested: run, drain, fill; repeat until what comes out looks like what you put in. As far as I know, there is no filter. As for the level plug, I would not recommend removing it at all. I did the level check on mine because I was nervous about the fact that 5 quarts had come out and everyone said to only put 3 quarts back in. I found that, as near as I could tell, 3 quarts back in is the right amount. But to do the level check properly, you are supposed to have the engine running. I don't plan to ever do that again. I don't like crawling under a car with the engine running, especially with transmission fluid coming out. So now I just drain out what comes out, and put 3 quarts back in. I have put about 30k miles on the car since I first changed the trans oil, and it is still working fine - much better than it was when I got it.

Last edited by JaguarKnight; 11-04-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Clarification
The following users liked this post:
Kiknazz (11-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Did jargua x type 2008 transmission gear box has filter and I if it does how can it be change?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Excellent post.... thank you very much

Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, I used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. Very easy to do this procedure.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Some additional info especially if you are not going to DIY.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...45/#post673928

Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the transmission. I was going to flush out 3 qts at a time, but when i saw how dirty it was (no burnt smell, just black), i decided to use the method someone else used with pulling a cooling line. (I've done this procedure one many other vehicles including my mothers Escape, which seems very similar) It was fairly straight forward, and made the trans shift much nicer.

I did want to add that through hours and hours of research, I found that AMSOil Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF seemed to be a good replacement. I have used amsoil in the past and have always liked it. It was around 12 dollars a qt, which i think is reasonable when compared to other high end oils. IDEMITSU K17 was listed right on the back of the bottle (which I found as a replacement fluid in a TSB). Its been a few hundred miles, and the car drives nice!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know this isn't the same thread, but can anyone help with the reverse adjustment screw problem. I had my 2003 xtype 3.0 in the shop (not a Jag shop) for a crazy rattling noise. They solved the noise when they pulled the engine and found the loose bolts on the bell housing. However they were going to drain the trans fluid and and flush and refill which would have been good if they knew what they were doing but unfortunately they didn't and they took the wrong screw out and now reverse doesn't work. I have read about the reverse adjustment screw issue and think this is why reverse doesn't work when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the trans before they touched it. What I'm looking for is how to fix it, hopefully without taking it out of the car. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's someone who did it;
The band has been secured without removal or disassembly of the trans.I bored two pin holes through the bolt pin at the pariminter 180 degrees oppsed and inserted guide pins to hold the bad eyelet in concentric position to the pin end upon insertion. The holes were then threaded and sealed with rubber seal backed screws. Now you know how to do it in less than two hours and save the cost of fluid replacement at 10 qts x $60 or 600 in fluid. jaguar x type no reverse - JustAnswer

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks so much that's exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately I don't think I'm smart enough to understand it.

I'm not a transmission expert by any means, but have been working on my own cars for many years. Does any of this make any sense to anyone or is it just me that doesn't have a clue what they are saying to me. Is there anyone that could provide pictures for me.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone is paying $60 a quart for their transmission fluid, they are paying way too much! Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle transmission fluid meets the required specs, and only costs $6.99 at Advance Auto. I have put about 35,000 miles on my X-Type since I changed the fluid, and it is working just fine. The type of fluid is critical in this transmission, but this one works. There may be others that also meet the required specs, but I only have experience with this one. Note that it is Castrol IMPORT Multi-Vehicle; there is also a Castrol Multi-Vehicle fluid that may not meet the requirements.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM

I found another one too, this one makes more sense to me.

Daniel answered 4 months ago
I have actually found a solution for this without removing the transmission. You will need snap ring pliers, air compressor with air chuck fitting,baling wire and a friend. First step-remove the cover snap ring (cover and plug are in center of picture).
Second step-remove the plug next to the servo. Third step-blow air through the plug and that will dislodge the cover. Fourth step-remove the second snap ring, the servo and spring. Fifth step-feed the baling wire through the servo housing area until it is
visible from the bolt that was accidentally removed. Sixth step-form a small hook on the baling wire tip and have assistant pull reverse band back into place and reinsert the bolt which holds the reverse band. Reinstall servo, spring and cover. Finally, live
happily ever after.

3 out of 3 people think this is helpful.

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by dave3687:
Lcgi (05-03-2013), Tomz (09-25-2017), Zues (02-13-2018)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi everyone!!!
I have a quick question and some comments to add to changing transmission fluid. You should always use a good cleaner in the transmission, Seafoam Trans-Tune, 3 - 5000 before you change the transmission fluid. This will break apart any "gunk" that has built up and lubricate parts, then change the transmission fluid. Okay so my big question... Does Royal Purple Max-ATF work in a 2002 Jaguar X-type? I have 12 quarts of this fluid that I was going to use to change out my fluid, but I can't find if it will work with these transmissions.
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inky7
Alright.... based on what I've read on this thread;

1. When you drain via the sump plug you should get out roughly 3.5 quarts if the transmission was properly filled to begin with.

2. If it was overfilled you will get out more; underfilled less.

3. Based on the above, regardless if the level was above or below proper fill level the same fixed amount should remain in the torque converter and other parts of the tranny when you drain it.

So..... if someone could confirm that 3.5 quarts is the right amount you need to refill with (assuming you let it sit all night and did the drain/refill the next day without running the car given ambient temperture) in a previously properly filled trans then we can get a roughly accurate measure of how much to add to get it up to the proper level without going through the level check procedure.

There has to be an easier way; were talking fixed volumes (a constant for the math problem) give or take than can be held other than the sump...

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts... I plan to do this next week end would appreciate any further wisdom.

(did the transfer case last week end.... old gear oil was still honey colored with no metal shavings after 53K miles albeit a bit thick and low on volume)
I ended up getting 6 quarts out of my 2003 x type... Someone must have overfilled. I checked after I replaced with 3.5 quarts and it came out the level check hole.... Hope it will be ok.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (05-03-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM

This is some good infomation guys I need to do this on my X Type.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

So this is the fluid everyone seems to use. Here is a link for the specs.Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I get everything stated but...

How do you monitor/ measure the transmission temp in real-time to ensure that it is not over 40 deg C when you are performing the level check?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Speaking on behalf of myself and the Mr Lube crew who helped me change out all my fluids, the temperature stuff was a level of detail too far for us - we just drained and refilled with 3 quarts and with a warm engine switched off - restarted the car and shifted the gears around for a bit , then switched off, drain, fill, engine on, cycle the gears, engine off, drain fill, cycle the gears and go!!!

And keep going with silky smooth gear changes for over 10,000km's - so that is my experience, and based on my experience and nothing else, I would say don't worry too much about the temperature thing because it also had me thinking for a long time before I decided to ignore it. However, someone with greater knowledge may come back and tell me my gearbox is about to grenade for failing to follow that part of the procedure so - full disclosure, I'm no expert - I'll be interested to see what a jag tech says if one picks this thread up.

Incidentally, for those who make use of the services of a Mr Lube style operation, I found the photos and info. that Gold 04 X Type provided were really useful and allowed me to show the technicians exactly what to do and where to do it, etc. Very very helpful.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Default transmission ecu

hi does anybody know where the automatic gearbox ecu is on a 2002 xtype and where the gearbox fluid dip stick is located? Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ