X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues

Hey, y'all. It's been a long time since I've been on the forum, but I desperately need some help. About 8 months ago, the transmission on my X-type began to slip. Badly. We were so afraid of using it that we ended up just parking it in my driveway. It's been sitting there for about 7 months, and when I tried to pull it out of the turnaround to wash it, it backed out perfectly fine. When I finished washing the car, though, it wouldn't move. It went into reverse fine, but when I put it in drive, absolutely nothing happened. I'm planning on getting it fixed before my senior prom, but I want to know what might be wrong if it's anything other than the transmission (a transfer case maybe?). I've shopped around, and the places that work on Jag transmissions say it would be about $4,000 to get it fixed. Am I hopeless, or is the transmission the only thing that could be the problem?

Details:
-2003 X-type 3.0
-Jolted into movement since we bought it; thought that was how it normally drove, so we didn't pay attention to it
-Began to slip between gears about eight months ago, including starting movement as well as shifting between gears
-Check engine light is on (it was on for a few months prior to the transmission problems; it's probably unrelated, but you never know)
-Transmission failure light is not on
-There is a leak (looks like oil) near the front of the car on the passenger side
-Took it on one drive since the moment we realized it was slipping
-Doesn't sound like it's shifting into gear when we put it in drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Possible problems other than the transmission would be helpful, and estimates for the prices of these problems (including having the transmission rebuilt/replaced) would be ideal. Thank you!

Last edited by Shanahan; 04-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

sounds like a torque converter that isn't working because it either is fried or it doesn't have enough fluid. The jolting into motion is most def a torque converter. I would highly recommend purchasing a used or rebuilt transmission online or at a similar area and then having a local shop install it for you. $4k for a tranny seems a bit steep considering I have seen them go on ebay for less than 1k.

What I would do is check the level of your automatic transmission fluid (might have to do a bit of forum searching as my car is a 5spd) and make sure it is full. A car jolting into motion sounds like the torque converter doesn't have enough fluid to create a viscous barrier and therefore it just "drops" the power to the drivetrain. This is also what leads me to believe that you are unable to shift gears.

I know how important it is to get it running for senior prom I just had mine a couple days ago!