X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning

Hi, how hard is it to tune the X Type's? By tune I mean flashing the ECU, are there any aftermarket companies where you can get a chip for these cars?

I am asking about the 3L's in particular if that makes any difference.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manimillion
Hi, how hard is it to tune the X Type's? By tune I mean flashing the ECU, are there any aftermarket companies where you can get a chip for these cars?

I am asking about the 3L's in particular if that makes any difference.
*Crickets Chirp*

If you can get the transfer case to take whatever power you try to put through it without it exploding, and have bottomless pockets, the sky is the limit.

Seriously though, the X-Type has virtually no aftermarket. You can google til you're blue in the face, it'll get you nowhere. Also, if your X-Type is your daily driver, I wouldn't go tinkering with anything to be honest with you.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpartanX
*Crickets Chirp*

If you can get the transfer case to take whatever power you try to put through it without it exploding, and have bottomless pockets, the sky is the limit.

Seriously though, the X-Type has virtually no aftermarket. You can google til you're blue in the face, it'll get you nowhere. Also, if your X-Type is your daily driver, I wouldn't go tinkering with anything to be honest with you.
Not a daily driver, but I was looking more into tuning the ECU, to change the timing tables and fuel mapping to get the a/f right for a turbo set up, but if the transfer cases are as weak as everyone says, there is no point, I'll just have to move on to another car.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need Low compression engine to add a turbo.
The X-type is already a highly tuned engine. Set up to run on premium fuel.
Dont you think that if the Jag engineers could get another couple of hp with a program change, they would have done that over the last 8 years?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manimillion
Not a daily driver, but I was looking more into tuning the ECU, to change the timing tables and fuel mapping to get the a/f right for a turbo set up, but if the transfer cases are as weak as everyone says, there is no point, I'll just have to move on to another car.
If you are looking for a very difficult time with a performance project, you have found the right car. That being said, yes if you have a lot of cash and time, and resources (specialized machinists, etc), go for it.

All depends on your goals. I think anything more than about 250 hp at the wheels and the transfer case would explode. Plus, the car is packaged very tight in the engine bay.

If you want a hopped up Jaguar, go with an S type R. If you want to just hop something up, go with something that has a solid aftermarket (mustang, Civic, etc). Just my $.02.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy
Need Low compression engine to add a turbo.
The X-type is already a highly tuned engine. Set up to run on premium fuel.
Dont you think that if the Jag engineers could get another couple of hp with a program change, they would have done that over the last 8 years?
No I don't think Jag would have done that, but Ford has now done it. The 3L engines, are practically the same block as the 3L Duratech's, first turbo variation of this engine with a turbo was seen in the Noble M12, which is a 3L Duratech Mondeo engine, with just a turbo on it. Now Ford has announced that the displacement has increased to 3.5L's and it will come with twin turbo's.

There is also many aftermarket Turbo'd 3L Ford engines by enthusiasts. So far I've worked with 3-4 big 3L projects and I do know what I am/was getting into. But in the X-Type's the weak link seems to be the transfer case.

As for Jaguars, the head design is a bit different but that wouldn't be a huge problem.

Set up on premium fuel does make no change. Look at the E46 M3's, they are set up on premium fuel, but If you give the vehicle over to HPF (Horse Power Freaks) they will get over 600 Horsepowers to the rear wheels without cracking the engine open, and no it doesn't blow up after a few days, they have done many test runs, (over 100's of dyno runs) and they are very successful.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...bos/Turbo_Kits

Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chris X
If you are looking for a very difficult time with a performance project, you have found the right car. That being said, yes if you have a lot of cash and time, and resources (specialized machinists, etc), go for it.

All depends on your goals. I think anything more than about 250 hp at the wheels and the transfer case would explode. Plus, the car is packaged very tight in the engine bay.

If you want a hopped up Jaguar, go with an S type R. If you want to just hop something up, go with something that has a solid aftermarket (mustang, Civic, etc). Just my $.02.
I am not interested in those cars, although they are great cars, but my main interest was the X Type because it is based on the Ford CD132 platform.

But then again, I would be able to get everything done, the engine bay actually isn't that bad once you throw away the plastics and relocate the battery to the trunk.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Point taken. I'm not interested in those either. I tend to mess around with Saab turbo's, as they are more straightforward as far a tuning goes, and the turbo is already engineered in. Sure, the tranny is the weak link there, but most of the abuse is driver controlled.

I mean, anything is possible and you sound like you know what you are doing, but it would be painful to go through the hassle of amping up the power only to have a weak driveline. If you could figure a way to eliminate the transfer case and go straight RWD you may have something!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

To get the Jag x type into some good hp range say 300hp will take lots of cash! i spent over 7K to get 320hp to the wheels. The transfercase was no a problem as long as you didn't do a standing 4 wheel burnout.

As for flashing the ECU, I had to swap it out for a Mazda, and redo some wiring...also had to redo the engine because of the high compression (i installed a turbo on mine)

I loved the jag and was tired of getting my doors blown off by ricers.....(ilove to street race a bit too)

Anyway, long story short, the Jag is NOT a good car to try and squeeze out some extra ponies unless you have deep pockets. Also, the car weights a hefty 3800 or 3900lbs (not sure) you'll need to gut the back seats and all the extra padding......

Anyway, get a Pontiac G8 and spend all your time and money getting that to 725+ hp with 7K.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by racerx82
To get the Jag x type into some good hp range say 300hp will take lots of cash! i spent over 7K to get 320hp to the wheels. The transfercase was no a problem as long as you didn't do a standing 4 wheel burnout.

As for flashing the ECU, I had to swap it out for a Mazda, and redo some wiring...also had to redo the engine because of the high compression (i installed a turbo on mine)

I loved the jag and was tired of getting my doors blown off by ricers.....(ilove to street race a bit too)

Anyway, long story short, the Jag is NOT a good car to try and squeeze out some extra ponies unless you have deep pockets. Also, the car weights a hefty 3800 or 3900lbs (not sure) you'll need to gut the back seats and all the extra padding......

Anyway, get a Pontiac G8 and spend all your time and money getting that to 725+ hp with 7K.
Do you have any details of your set up? Maybe some pictures?

And no thanks, no need for a GM POS, I've already got a Mustang that puts out as much as power you mentioned.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No, unfortunately I don't have any pics, and i was lucky to have been able to get some of my money back when i sold it when i did. I do have lots of info if you need some advise or suggestions. I think i may still have an extra set of headers for it that we made and some other stuff.....like injectors and what not. BTW, I have brand new injectors...they sell for over 100+ each. I will sell all six for 200...anybody interested PM me.

GM POS eh? Well I suppose, i never had a FORD that didn't require to be fixed or repaired on a daily basis....oh wait I take that back...i had a Jag. :-)