X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades/Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrades/Updates

Hello all, I Drive a 2006 Jaguar X-Type sedan 3.0l AWD V6. Would it be possible to add ECO Mode in order to restrict engine and transmission performance in favor of fuel economy. it doesn't have traction control, so would it be possible to install that in the car?

Another thing, Is it possible to install every premium feature on the 2008 Model into the car (including parking sensors, automatic lights, rain sensors, every fancy upgrade ETC). I have retrofitted the sat/nav, CD Changer, Phone+Bluetooth ETC.

Also i was wondering about installing the headlight washers. Also every feature from: 2002 Voice activated controls, 2002 X3 Weather Package w/X2 Sport Package, 2002 X3 Weather Package w/o X2 Sport Package, 2002 X0 Package, 2002 X2 Sport Package, 2002 X1 Premium Package, 2003 voice activated controls, 2003 X1 Premium Package, 2003 X2 Sport Package, 2003 X2 Sport Package, 2003 X0 Package, 2003 X2 Sport Package, 2004 voice activated controls, 2004 X0 Package, 2005 voice activated controls, 2005 X0 Package, 2006 Sport Package, 2006 VDP Edition Package, 2006 JaguarVoice Voice-Activated Controls, 2006 Premium Package, 2006 Premium Package w/Sport Package, 2006 VDP Edition Package (Discontinued), 2006 Sport Package (Discontinued), 2007 Luxury package, 2008 Luxury Package, 2008 luxury package with Aruba wheels. Basically i would like to install some features from every package that ever came with any of the cars, i selected all of them because i don't know what comes with what, i don't know which parts are better than others, i don't know what features come with what, So basically i want every feature. I know a supplier that can help with wiring looms, wiring harnesses, ETC. I would like the best features and best upgrades/updates.

I'd appreciate any help and or advice, Thank you.

Last edited by xtypejag; 09-19-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,667 Posts

It sounds like an awful lot of work and money; would it not be easier to just buy a model with all the features that you want?
Over here the insurers would have a fit with all that modification.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Wallman (03-25-2023)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you want an ECO mode, six speed transmission and towing capacity for 5000 pounds is actually very simple. How cheap it will be depends on you. Just go buy a vehicle that is made for that. Unless you plan on spending many thousands of dollars more than the car is worth it isn't practical unless you have the time, money, tools and ability to it yourself.

As for all the features, go search online for what each package is as most of them are cosmetic in nature and you might be able to add a small piece from one here or there, but because they are cosmetic there would be overlap. Like one of the Sport packages and the VDP package, There was an interior package with carbon fiber trim and seats in leather and alcatara. The VDP has eats with piping on them, so one or the other. Familiarize yourself with all that stuff and then decide what you want to do. You could then probably find the pieces online or through searching junkyards.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
If you want an ECO mode, six speed transmission and towing capacity for 5000 pounds is actually very simple. How cheap it will be depends on you. Just go buy a vehicle that is made for that. Unless you plan on spending many thousands of dollars more than the car is worth it isn't practical unless you have the time, money, tools and ability to it yourself.

As for all the features, go search online for what each package is as most of them are cosmetic in nature and you might be able to add a small piece from one here or there, but because they are cosmetic there would be overlap. Like one of the Sport packages and the VDP package, There was an interior package with carbon fiber trim and seats in leather and alcatara. The VDP has eats with piping on them, so one or the other. Familiarize yourself with all that stuff and then decide what you want to do. You could then probably find the pieces online or through searching junkyards.
Im not getting a new car, I just listed all those packages because I don’t know what each package one has that other features don’t have. Some of them have the same features, some of them have different or better or worse features. I just want to have every single feature, and the best of every feature.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

xtypejag, you cannot modify the car (without extensive and expensive modifications) to handle the weight you are looking at. As I seem to recall, the X-Type is only rated to tow like 2500 to 3000 pounds. To get it to handle that much more weight, you are looking at significant driveline upgrades, brake upgrade, and overall stiff springs in the suspension to handle the weight. Keep in mind that to get a vehicle capable of handling a 5,000 pound trailer, you are looking at something like a Ford Explorer or other vehicle about that size. A RAV4 may possibly be able to handle that weight. I can't think of a single modern day car that can handle even close to the weight you are looking at.

The changing out of a tranny from a 5 speed to a 6 speed is going to be a network nightmare. You would have to find a tranny system that would be compatible with the ECU you currently have and then hope that the new system doesn't cause the CEL light to remain on since it won't be seeing all the proper parameters. The only error code system I can think of would involve removing all the computers from the car and then getting generic modules to piece together. So, you are making a whole new wiring harness for your car. Possible, but a lot of work.

NOt to question your car, but from a money point of view, I think you could get all that you are after by stepping up to say a 2013 XF with the turbo I4 motor. That will have an 8 speed tranny, get you much better mileage (as long as you keep your foot out of the gas and engaging the turbo), and get you a lot of niceties that you could never imagine getting in the X-Type. The very reason why you are looking to upgrade your X-Type is why I sold mine and stepped into an XJ. I kept the miles per gallon, got tons more luxury, and something that when I want to play, it will. The only thing I "lost" was the AWD. But, where i live, it isn't that big of a need (atleast for me) and that would have tied my hands to the supercharged V6 which was not what I wanted (I was specifically after a V8).

In short, can you get what you are after? Sure. But, once you start looking at the costs and time, you may think twice.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Question for Thermo or other masters of this realm...

I Just read all the threads about the difference between DSC and Traction Control and Jaguar's "Traction 4 AWD system" - enough opinions to make your head spin...

Can DSC be added if the button is not present? I assume the wiring is in the loom already - but would there be a DSC Control Module or something?

Found a GEM of a 1-owner X-type with low miles - but no DSC button....

Old 03-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Meatbag, in short, it is possible, but you need to change out a few things. First off, you need to add 3 sensors to the car. A yaw sensor, a steering input sensor, and a brake pressure sensor. Then you need to duplicate your speed sensor speed inputs that would go into your new "abs module" (they call it a DSC module as it is a bit more than an ABS module). This would also result in having to find a DSC braking assembly. Most of this would be simply swappingn components, but the circuitry between the wheels and the braking module is going t obe key

The following users liked this post:
MeatBag (03-16-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by xtypejag

Another thing, Is it possible to install every premium feature on the 2008 Model into the car (including parking sensors, automatic lights, rain sensors, every fancy upgrade ETC). I have retrofitted the sat/nav, CD Changer, Phone+Bluetooth ETC.
Yes, but the only practical way would be to find a wrecked donor car that has them.

As far as towing, the car really isn't designed for it. The weight distribution and suspension geometry were done to give the best handling for an entry-level "sport/exec" car. Get too much unbraked weight on a single-point trailer hitch and the car wants to yaw, and at highway speeds can even get a Dutch roll going that can be severe enough to jack-knife or even roll over.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Thermo:

Thank you for the quick reply!

Searches for "X-Type DSC" modules come up with a lot of ABS Modules:
Part Number: C2S46685 Supersession(s): C2S39160) "ABS Hydraulic Assembly. An ABS Modulator Unit. W/dynamic. stab. ctl.. Hydraulic Assembly. VALVE. MOTOR AND PUMP."
Part Number C2S39162 which is "An ABS Modulator Unit. W/o dyn. stab. cntrl."

They look like the same form factor - one slips in where the other sat.

The ABS Anti Lock Brake Pump Control module - Bosch 30968 DPA - doesn't identify as w or w/o DSC.

I also see
Brake Pressure Differential switch (part # C2S16180).
Yaw Rate Sensor (part # C2s4701 or 1S7T14B296AD)
I even see the button that goes in the console.

But I cant find a steering input sensor.

When you say "duplicate your speed sensor speed inputs" and " the circuitry between the wheels and the braking module is going to be key"
Does that mean running an additional wire for a Brake Pressure Differential switch at each wheel? and or additional wheel speed sensor?

thanks again.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

You need to go here and compare Pages 5.1 to 5.3 to see the differences between ABS and DSC

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

Old 03-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Meatbag, yes, the DSC system needs a second set of inputs from each wheel which is just the sensor being duplicated on another set of pins. Like Astro says, look at the 2 diagrams he references and you will see all the differences.