X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper radiator hose/brake booster pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper radiator hose/brake booster pipe

I recently purchased an 02 x type. Took it to the dealer and was told it need a new upper radiator hose due to it leaking (which it was) and a new brake booster pipe. Thinking that I could diy I did. I want to know
1)do i need to bleed the air out of the cooling system because I hear air bubbles while i sit in my car. And if so how do i do it.
2)now when i press my brake it makes a whining sound did i need to bleed my brakes because i removed the brake booster pipe from the brake booster possibly putting air into my braking system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

drebe02, as for your brake booster hose, there is no need to bleed the brakes after replacing this hose. The hose goes to one side of a large piston and then on the other side of this piston is a smaller piston that drives up the brake pressure. So, unless you have a bad brake booster (highly unlikely), there is no need to bleed the brake. Now, with that being said, bleeding of the brakes should be done periodically to ensure air free fluid is in the system to ensure maximum braking ability.

As for the upper radiator hose. Jaguar does recommend venting the system. IN short you get the car up to temp and then you squeeze the hose running next to the throttle body (the 1" hose). This will alter the rate of fluid flowing through the coolant system and help force the air out of the block. But, keep in mind that there is a small bleed hole coming off of the back of the engine that after a little bit of driving the engine, the action of heating up and cooling down the coolant is going to pull any air bubble out of the coolant system and deposit it in the overflow bottle. So, i wouldn't worry about venting the coolant system either.

The following users liked this post:
drebe02 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 AM

Thermo thanks a million. I was fearful of driving it because i thought since i did not vent the system it would eventually over heat. I did let it get to operating temp after changing the hose just to make sure it would not go over but i did that by letting it sit in my drive way...not an actual road test. But thanks for the info on both my concerns. As a newbie I already feel like a member of the family.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

drebe02, you will find that we are very friendly here. All we ask is that you return the good feelings to the other members and act accordingly. I see it this way, you want to be treated a certain way and we ask that you do the same back.

So, sit back, grab a cup of Joe and do some more looking around. I'm sure you will find more stuff about the car than you will ever care to know. If you ever have any more questions, feel free to post up. BUt, don't let a question limit your posting here. Join in else where and help with the conversations.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Will do...pay it forward!