Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used ECM - an option or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Used ECM - an option or not?

Hi,

I am a new member and need the wisdom that comes from experiences other than mine........
I have a number of pricey items to take care of on baby, or I will just sell it but can't find anything I enjoy driving as much but this is the first item to be dealt with.

I need a replacement ECM for my 04 XType, 3.0. Yes, I am sure.

The insulation on the wiring for an O2 sensor frayed and the two wires made contact, effectively shorting out the O2 sensor chip on my ECM

Baby Jag continues to run well (occasional burp) but the service engine light will not go off/stay off.

I have a high end mechanic that assures me I need a new ECM, as well as my regular mechanic (non jag)

I have a used ECM from ebay (the seller warranties the part) - now the Jag dealer is telling me that ECM's are hard coded to each individual car and that you cannot get a used one from a "junk yard" and put it in your car as it will only work for the car it came from, and cannot be flashed to a new car.
They then told me that they are not really sure, but they think this is the case and they tried this for an S type and it did not work...

They want a mere $1950 for a new ECM, (then add labor) and after I get done with the new tires, a/c compressor, and a possible sensor for DSC system the costs will be adding up. So this is the first item to be repaired. If it is not an option I will cry and buy a CRS, or Audi A4, or Volvo -- shudder shudder shudder

So input please
thank you

Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, IDonteither! Depending where, in TX you are located....please do yourself a favor and go see Motorcarman or Brutal. I expect either one, or possibly another sage member will be along shortly with the answer to your ecm question, but given the list of things you plan to hire done.....you should definitely go see one of them.

I don't have source to back this up...but I vaguely recall that you can swap ECM's but the new one will need to be "introduced" to your car via WDS or similar dealer-software (yes...they (MotorcarMan or Brutal) can do that, too!)

In general terms....
Motorcarman: DFW area
Brutal: Houston area

My sincere apologies if I left out another TX Jag Tech, purely unintentional and due to my own particular brand of ignorance.

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-28-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I have introduced new ecms to cars doing a hard reset of all systems. On my 02 saturn all it took was switching on and off the car for 30 minutes with a series of disconnecting the battery. Might be something like that on the jag, but keep in mind that anything like that reset will also reset the electrical vin associated with the vehicle which is why the jaguar tool is used. You dont need the electrical vin to match, but it might help if you plan to have it serviced at the dealership

Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

DISQUAY THAT WILL NOT WORK AND IF THE CAR GOES INTO IMMOBILIZATION SHE'LL BE REALLY STUCK. MOST COMPUTERS NOT JUST THE ECU NEED TO BE INTRODUCED TO THE REST OF THE MODULES ON THE CAR. THEY WILL SEE THE MODULE AND BASICALLY SAY "WE SEE YOU, BUT WE DONT KNOW YOU AND WE DONT TALK TO STRANGERS, SO **** OFF" I CAN SEE THIS WHEN PROGRAMMING BECAUSE THERE IS NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE MODULE.
A BETTER ALTERNATIVE ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW THE FAULT THAT WAS CAUSED. IS TO SEND YOUR ECU OFF AND HAVE REPAIRED. LIKE TO THESE GUYS
GoECM.Com - Welcome to GoECM!
they can repair yours and send it back, no marrying or programming needed
ALSO AND YOU CAN PROGRAM ANOTHER ECU TO ANOTHER CAR, THATS WHY "THEYYYRRRE PROOOGRAAAMAABBLE"
YOU JUST CANT DO THAT TO BURNED IN UNITS

The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
dharry078 (12-21-2018), Idontcook (10-31-2011), Luke smithson (12-18-2020), MoP (01-11-2020)
Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes, the car will go into immobilization and the security system will lock the fuel pump and the injectors, but almost all cars have a way to hard reset them. The ecu repair seems to be a much better way though. I did not know there were companies who repaired the ecu.

that being said, there is a way to perform a "hard reset" on almost all cars, yet the exact specifications of how to perform it are sometimes hazy. I simply introduced that topic to see if any members knew of the way to hard reset these cars.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Cool

OK,

Brutal thank you for your response. I will check on the possibility of a partial repair. It might be a toss up financially, as I have the used part in my possession - However, I do like the idea of fixing it myself rather than letting someone else touch baby. I tend to like places where I can watch the repairs if I cant do them.

I will tell the jag dealership about your response.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

which 1 are you going to? 1 in Houston, Big D, SA, or Austin??

Old 10-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If you have the used one then you could send BOTH to a repair facility and get your original fixed with the DONOR as parts. I had a BMW with a fried output transistor for a faulty coil. I replaced the coil but the it would not 'fire' so I inspected the circuit board and saw the BURNT transistor. I bought a used DME (ECM) and the guy selling it told me the numbers had to match and it probably would not work etc etc etc so I told him I did not want to install but just needed the PARTS!!!!!

He told me he would not warranty etc etc etc so I paid the $100 part and shipping.
I un-soldered the transistor and swapped it to the original DME (ECM) and it worked fine. I still have 5 more transistors for a BMW 6 cylinder DME if anyone needs one. I charged the customer for the $100 transistor plus labor but he was EXTREMELY happy to save $1600.00 for a new DME plus programming at the dealer.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
dharry078 (06-21-2019)
Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Cool

OK thank you for all the great ideas. I think that this time I will go with the GoECM method.

Next I will have to see if I can determine how to take the original out of my car. Words of advice? Should I just start a new thread?

I am going to drive to a friends house in the big D area, and then take my car apart drive the part to GoECM and drop it off.

I still have the junk yard part and once I am mobile again l I will return that one or we will use it for experimentation --

I think that one of you is relatively close to the Dallas area and in worst case I will have to be towed in......Please let me know who i can / should call if I fail at this task

Thank you again
idontcook
04 x type 3.0

Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The GoECM in Grand Prairie is just west of Dallas so that would be easy. Ask if they need the other ECM for parts. The harness connector on the early ECMs for the X-Type is a T30 Torx-Plus tamper proof 5 lobed bit.

The later ones might be different (I have not needed to remove an ECM in a while) but I have BOTH the Torx Plus and Tamper proof Torx 5 and 6 lobed bits if you need them. I am 50 miles North West of Dallas in Wise County if you need to get more info just send a message and I'll get back to you.

bob gauff

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you have the used one then you could send BOTH to a repair facility and get your original fixed with the DONOR as parts. I had a BMW with a fried output transistor for a faulty coil. I replaced the coil but the it would not 'fire' so I inspected the circuit board and saw the BURNT transistor. I bought a used DME (ECM) and the guy selling it told me the numbers had to match and it probably would not work etc etc etc so I told him I did not want to install but just needed the PARTS!!!!!

He told me he would not warranty etc etc etc so I paid the $100 part and shipping.
I un-soldered the transistor and swapped it to the original DME (ECM) and it worked fine. I still have 5 more transistors for a BMW 6 cylinder DME if anyone needs one. I charged the customer for the $100 transistor plus labor but he was EXTREMELY happy to save $1600.00 for a new DME plus programming at the dealer.

bob gauff
Hello,

I would like to start by saying thank you very much! You inspired me to look at my ECM, which i did. I used a 20x magnifying class and found that one of my chips had 2 burned pins. Im going tomorrow to solder 2pins and try the ECM again. If it doesnt work, i am going to use your other idea, of buying a cheap ECM and take the part i want. Thank you very much again.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 AM

how can I change & reprogramming with other x-type powertrain ecu

Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

As stated, generally you can't. Give a lot more detail if you want anyone to have a hope of helping more.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:08 PM

I realize it's been a bit since anyone posted here.

From reading the posts... you CAN swap ecms if the numbers match up. Is it the model number of the ecm or the vin of the car you have to match?
M45255 through M80163 or 2R83-10K975-BE? (M48409)

Thanks!

Also, was the OP solved? Must have been?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Be careful not to just swap and expect it to work - instead it will go into anti-theft and shut down. Have the dealer tool and know how to use it etc before doing it.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Default That's what I meant...

JagV8
I meant to include that part about the dealer...

Yes. So get one with matching part number and take it immediately to the dealer without "trying it" to see if it will work, right?

Looking at ECMrepairs.com
It seems to be a cost effective alternative. $250 to send the current one in for repair.

I am still curious how the OP turned out.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

If the dealer is willing as I imagine they will not be.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 AM

So is the vin range most important? Or the literal part number on the module?
2R83-10K975-BE
Or M45255 through M80163?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

Why are you asking? It's rare to need a PCM and anyway why not get it fixed if it's faulty?

Most of the time people think it's faulty but it's not.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:05 AM

My ECM has water damage. I sent it in and they couldn't repair it. I need a new/used one. Which factor is more important VIN range or the actual part number?

Quick Reply: Used ECM - an option or not?