X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valet key transponder

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valet key transponder

Lost one of my 2005 X-type fobs. Ordered and programmed new fob. The key itself is not copyable by any locksmith I can find, and my dealer says they can't copy a key--just order a replacement key and fob for $400.

I have a valet key. I understands the valet key also has a transponder, and it does work without the fob to start the car. Can I just use the valet key unless I want to get trunk access? Does anyone know of a locksmith that can copy these Tibbe keys, perhaps mail order? I have a blank key that came with the fob.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The Tibbe keys are not too hard to cut by hand. If you have some mechanical ability and a jewelers file you can cut the key. I have done it. There are just 4 angles to be cut at each of the 6 positions. You only need to actually cut 3 angles as the 4th angle is not cut. Do this on each of the 4 sides of the key.

This web site has some good pictures of an 8 position key.
How To Decode Your Jaguar Tibbe Key And Find Your Tibbe Key Code - Car Locks and Keys

There are 8 position Tibbe keys but the Jag X-Type uses a 6 position key.

Pete.

The following users liked this post:
Cash Jackson (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagger
The Tibbe keys are not too hard to cut by hand. If you have some mechanical ability and a jewelers file you can cut the key. I have done it. There are just 4 angles to be cut at each of the 6 positions. You only need to actually cut 3 angles as the 4th angle is not cut. Do this on each of the 4 sides of the key.

This web site has some good pictures of an 8 position key.
How To Decode Your Jaguar Tibbe Key And Find Your Tibbe Key Code - Car Locks and Keys

There are 8 position Tibbe keys but the Jag X-Type uses a 6 position key.

Pete.
GoodDay!! can this be used to remapp your immob!! key

Never To Kool For Skool!!