Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin change

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vin change

Hi everyone.
Would anyone know how to change the VIN number on my X type 2.0d 2005 ?

I recently had to change the ECU, Instrument Panel and loads of other stuff because the ECU screwed up. In the end it wouldn't communicate over the CAN network.

Car runs now with the replacement ECU etc but has now got a different VIN number to what it was before.

Is there anyway, using JLR SDD to change the VIN number back to what it was originally ?

Also, the turbo actuator arm doesn't move at all now. Could this be because I have an electric actuator and the ECU came from a vehicle with a vacuum actuator ?
Would I need to flash the ECU to correct this ?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ion-not-62748/

ECU's are programmable (as new). SOME functions can be CONFIGURED afterward, BUT - BUT others are one time "burn ins" (VIN). Think of it like your computer. Some things can be overwritten or even changed, but there are portions that are permanently "burnt in" and inaccessible and unable to be changed.

This is why when you change an instrument cluster (used), your car won't start as the ECU is talking to the PATS part of the cluster and says yup you're there but I don't know you. Thus it necessitates cluster, ecu AND key(s) from a donor car for cluster change (used). AND THE USED CLUSTER MILEAGE becomes your car's miles when checked and on dash. Sucks if you use a cluster with way higher mileage than on your car.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 05-20-2019 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BradsJag (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 AM

Pity about that but I understand what you say.

With the original problem I had was that I had to change the Instrument Panel anyway. This was because the ECU CAN fault, (caused by a wiring short), had also tripped the immobiliser.
I tried another ECU and installed it as a 'new' component but still couldn't get the immobiliser to re-set.

So, I'm now stuck with 2 VIN numbers, one for the car and one for the electrics.
One thought though, it may be difficult explaining the huge mileage difference at the MOT next week.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

A better solution would probably have been to have the original cluster rebuilt. You can even option changing the LED color(s) and mileage adjustment from another component change affecting the actual.

EXAMPLE =

U.K. = http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/re...nt-cluster-mk1

U.S.A. = https://www.myairbags.com/product/ja...uster-rebuild/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 05-21-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. All sounds interesting after having a good look.
The main problem was that the ECU screwed up due to a wiring fault.
I tried another ECU, tried to flash it but it set the immobiliser !
Then, I tried a complete change of ECU, Instrument Panel, keys etc. This worked to an extent but the turbo actuator didn't work. Found out that the 'new' ECU was for a 2004 (vacuum), whilst my car is a 2005 (electric actuator). I now know that the original ECU had part no: 6x43-A12650 AB. The s/h one I bought has part no: 4x43 A12650 AC. Therefore, the conclusion is that the 4x43 is for 2004 model with vacuum actuator, whilst the 6x43 is for 2005 model with electric actuator. Close but not the full biscuit.
I thought that being a complete 'package' it would work. Wrong.
ALWAYS buy the same part with the same part number.
I still have the option of reverting back to my original setup if only I can get my old ECU repaired and the Immobiliser to reset. That way, I can revert back to the original VIN.
Only problem is that I've sent the ECU off to 4 different places so far, and nobody can repair it.