X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN decoding question + Jag Bluetooth module question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VIN decoding question + Jag Bluetooth module question

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and have just bought my first Jag, I'm hoping to do some upgrades, Hoping to upgrade the headlights to hids, install a Jag NAV unit and a few other bits, my car has the stock stereo / cd and the climate control. From what I have read on the forums there is some way of decoding the VIN to see if it was per wired for stuff like the nav unit, anyone know is this the case and if so how can I do it? Also I have been looking at some Jag Bluetooth modules on eBay, are they just a simple install and then the phone functionality on the stereo works? And do the 2004 era jaguar Bluetooth modules work with modern phones like iPhones? Thanks in advance

Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

i just bought a bluetooth module last week on ebay for $15...i'll let u know when it gets here...i'm using "torque" for android

The following users liked this post:
BillAdama (08-22-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

What you want is the elm327 bluetooth adapter and the torque app for android if you have a droid, and if you don't have a droid, you're going to have to get the usb version of the elm327 and connect it to your computer with some free software.

I have been using the ELM327 and torque pro for about a year and I haven't found anything that this little device can't handle. It's also really great because it's so small and you can store it in your glovebox

The following 2 users liked this post by disguay:
BillAdama (08-22-2012), Stuart Beattie (02-19-2014)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

VIN doesn't indicate whether you have bluetooth. According to the VIN, I have a "high series" car but still I believe satnav was a chosen option, and I don't have phone/bluetooth/etc. Anyways, the thread title is suitable so:

Attached Thumbnails VIN decoding question + Jag Bluetooth module question-vin2.png   VIN decoding question + Jag Bluetooth module question-vin1e.png  

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 04-02-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aonsaithya:
BillAdama (08-22-2012), ptaboy (02-01-2014), Stuart Beattie (02-19-2014)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Bill,

Looks like some confusion in this thread.

I'm reading your question as being about Jaguar BlueTooth telephone, others are taking it as about BlueTooth scantool connection to the X-Type.

As far as the VIN giving the fitted options on the vehicle, the answer is NO. It distinguishes at the build level of whether the vehicle is Petrol or Diesel, Automatic or Manual but not down to the optional equipment level.

Jaguar Dealers in the UK and Ireland have access to this detailed information from the online Direct Dealer Warranty system. Spirit Motor Group in Dublin could give you a print out of this for your vehicle. This will show everything that was factory fitted to the vehicle.

The wiring harnesses are usually the same regardless of whether an accessory is fitted or not. In the case of BlueTooth telephone, this will be as far as the main telephone connector but the subsidiary harness which connects the equipment together and to the main harness is unlikely to be fitted.

BlueTooth telephone is an expensive extra and the technology is not cutting edge. My XK8 is factory fitted with BlueTooth but I wouldn't consider retro fitting the Jaguar installation as there's far superior aftermarket equipment available at lower cost.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
BillAdama (08-22-2012), Stuart Beattie (02-19-2014)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Hey all
Thanks for posting replies, yep a bit of confusion on the thread, what I meant to ask was there a way of finding out if my car was per wired for premium options by using the vin, and I have that answer now so thanks, also I was asking about adding the Bluetooth module so I could use the phone buttons / function on my stereo, so It sounds like that will be an expensive option so I think I'll give that a miss, ideally I'd love to get a 2 din head unit installed with phone and gps, I know there is loads of threads on this but if anyone can recommend a good after market option that's not a nightmare to fit ill stick it on my shopping list, the confusion did answer another question i was going to ask anyway, I was curious about the elm ODBII adapter and the torque app so I'll be picking up one of those! Thanks for the help guys and sorry for causing confusion!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Bill,

You should get a prize for wrapping up as many questions in only one post AND getting them all answered!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
BillAdama (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Bill,

You should get a prize for wrapping up as many questions in only one post AND getting them all answered!

Graham

I know! in the immortal words of Charlie Sheen "Winning!"

Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
VIN doesn't indicate whether you have bluetooth. According to the VIN, I have a "high series" car but still I believe satnav was a chosen option, and I don't have phone/bluetooth/etc. Anyways, the thread title is suitable so:
Now they were handy images, was able to decode everything, To my dismay mine is a 4 Door Entry model but it has the leather so must have been an on order upgrdade

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by disguay
What you want is the elm327 bluetooth adapter and the torque app for android if you have a droid, and if you don't have a droid, you're going to have to get the usb version of the elm327 and connect it to your computer with some free software.

I have been using the ELM327 and torque pro for about a year and I haven't found anything that this little device can't handle. It's also really great because it's so small and you can store it in your glovebox

Just bought one of these on Ebay today! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure I'm reading this right. The elm327 adapter will let you read codes and get information via Bluetooth on your phone, but it will not allow you to place calls over that phone via the in-dash radio. From what I've been reading there really is no way to make stock sound system (which aesthetically seems to be designed around phone functionality) work as a Bluetooth phone system.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JDBarrister
Just to make sure I'm reading this right. The elm327 adapter will let you read codes and get information via Bluetooth on your phone, but it will not allow you to place calls over that phone via the in-dash radio. From what I've been reading there really is no way to make stock sound system (which aesthetically seems to be designed around phone functionality) work as a Bluetooth phone system.
Yep I caused a lot of confusion, I was asking about the Bluetooth module for the stereo system, and at the same time talking about then elm code reader! I'm giving up on the Bluetooth for the phone, going to look at a parrot or something along those lines! I see your from Colorado springs! Nice part of the world, was there for 2 weeks last year on a training course and did all the touristy stuff, nearly got stuck in the middle of an army / airforce brawl!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank Bill,
It is a great part of the country and its fun to be able to drive some passes "at altitude" But one has to be careful during football season with 5 air bases and one army fort that you don't get betwixt and between rival factions.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by JDBarrister
Thank Bill,
It is a great part of the country and its fun to be able to drive some passes "at altitude" But one has to be careful during football season with 5 air bases and one army fort that you don't get betwixt and between rival factions.

Unfortunatly i was in a Dodge Journey rental, I didnt get to do any altitude driving but i did get to do some altitude drinking, a mistake i wont make again

Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

my bluetooth module arrived today (the elm 327..lol)
works great..im so impressed to have such a cool toy for such little $
friends who have not seen this technology are amazed..as am i!...if you have an android phone get the module and download torque...its the BEST toy...just don't crash the car staring at the phone :+)