X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Faults after changing fluids help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning Faults after changing fluids help!

Hi guys, I was changing my engine oil, manual trans oil, rear differential oil, and tranfer case oil over the weekend here and when I started the car on jacktands while doing a transfer case fluid flush a couple times I got a ABS fault, DSC fault, and the little amber 'engine' light came on in the dash. I quickly turned off the car, finished all what I was doing. I noticed the left rear tire was not turning while the other 3 were when on jackstands and the car in gear while the engine was running.

After jacking it all down, I started it back up and the same faults appeared. I backed out of the garage and the ABS fault went away, but the amber engine light is still on as is the DSC fault flashing in the message center. I can still however turn DSC on and off. I also noticed my HID's are pointed very low (must be because the car is in limp mode?). The HID's never did this before and they would auto-level fine and now they do not.

Any thoughts???
The dealer is not open till Monday and I was wantingto know if there is anywhere else I could take it or call? I have fricken jury duty Monday as well.

Oh the topper on all of this is my back tire (brand new tires) was leaking down, and tonight I noticed the inside rim area was bent up and there was a crack in the middle of the inside hub area of the wheel!!
Not sure if the tire place did this or if it was our giagantic *** potholes around here! They have been multipling like crazy!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Default RE: Warning Faults after changing fluids help!

Quick update. The car sat for an hour and I started it up. The amber engine light is still on and the HID's still aim low but the there was no DSC fault and I could still turn the DSC on or off by the button.
If the amber engine light is still on later today I will take it to Autozone so they can run the codes for me. I will report back.
Any help as to why this occured or what may be wrong is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Charles

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

you get these lights on cause your not running the car on the ground .. we get that all the time when we run X's on the hoist.. looking for noises and such.. just get them to clear it.. and wheel speed code or fault set 's the engine light on.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Also....what amber light. The one above odometer? Or the ABS light? Check engine light, airbag light? Low washer fluid light? Just curious exactly what amber light you are referring to.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Genius, thank you that is reassuring. I will bring it to the dealer Monday. Will I still get hit up for a diagnostic hook-up charge, or will they just re-set the fault?

FJT, first I got an ABS sensor amber light (over by the 0 on tachometer), followed by the DSC fault on the message screen (odometer screen). After about 20 seconds I got the amber engine symbol light (by the 7 on tachometer)

Thank you both for the help!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Bo, I have to drive the car down for jury duty in the morning (driving my fiance's car tonight to work due to the low aimed Jag headlights). I will see if the amber engine symbol light goes away after that. If not I will stop by a parts place or dealer. Ther are NO message faults displayed in the message screen at all just the little amber engine symbol light. Does this still constitute as a logged fault?

Would disconnecting the battery erase the faults at all?

Did you commonly get all 3 faults (ABS, DSC, and Engine) when running the car on jackstands?

I used the ball valve idea and it worked very well. I had to cut down the stud for the handle so I could spin the valve into the T-case threads though.

I put Amsoil 5w-30 in the engine w/a Mobil 1 fllter
Redline MTL in manual trans
Amsoil Sever Gear 75w-140 in both rear differential and T-case.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 AM

Thanks Bo, say what code reader/eraser do you have and where did you get it?I would certainly like to have one after this incident and for any others in the future.

Once the engine code is reset will my HID lights function like they are supposed to (not aiming down)?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks Bo, no supsension pieces were touched are contorted out of alignement. Yes the headlights went to (aim low mode) after the fault codes.

Today after ~ 45min of driving the engine symbol light went out, but my HID's are still pointed low! This was never a problem prior to the faults. There are no registered fauts, messages, or warning lights on.

At one before I happened to get the lights to auto level (up and down) by leaving the lights on, turning engine off, then after a bit turning the engine back on. I tried this procedure again with no success at all.

**Is therea specific procudure for getting the lights to auto level back or at least get adjust back up to the normal orientation?**

IMHO the limp mode low aiming lights is senseless and does more hinderance than good by affecting safety through reduced night time (90% of the time I drive) visibility.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

you can disconnect your battery for 5 minutes .. if that doesn't work .. they might need calibrating at a dealer.. thru our dia equipment

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks Jag Genius I will do that and see if it works. I will post back later on after work.

Take care,
Charles

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 AM

Well, I tried disconnecting the battery for more than 5 minutes (it was 15) and still no success. The HID's still point way down low. I will try to get the car into the local dealer today for a fix. How can the headlights be controlled via a diagnostic computer. I can understand the computer removing or cancelling out a fault code that is impeading a certain function, but if no faults or codes exist how does the diagnostic computer have authority over the headlight aiming? I am not being condecending I am just curious.

I just hope the dealer does not try to say anything is physically broke because before these faults the headlights work correctly without error.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 AM

I adjusted the headlights yesterday evening via the phillips screw adjusters to raise them up. They did raise to an appropriate level. I amstill going to see the dealer tofind out what happened on Thursday. The littleplasticgears came off the adjuster for the right side by the high beam light. I believe they must adjust for side to side becausethe other adjusterby the low beams controlled the top to bottom movement.

Also, I did not mention this previously but when Ifirstwent to drain the Transfer case oilNOTHING came out,not even a damn drop!!!

After flushing it out with engine flush mixed 5:1 w/ gear oil it came out fairlydark. Both the transfer case drain plug and rear differential drain plug had about 3/16" on metallic sludgecakedon themagnetic drain plug YUK!

I have a pictureof the mangnetic drain plug I will have topostup along withmy cracked rim as a resultof akiller pothole I am assuming. Thiscity is plagued with them!!

It is not quite hell but it is the nextstreet over!

Anyone have a sparedouble 5-spoke 17" wheel for sale?