X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leaking on passenger side floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude thanks a lot, I almost double posted what u did .... I did the same thing but instead of using that 3M thing I used a "Closed Cell Sponge tape" I got two sizes the one for the body of the car is 3/4in wide and the one that goes on the housing is 3/8in wide, I went like that because I wanted it to kinda have the wider one overlap the small one and create a better seal (i guess). Anyhow It worked took me like around 1hr and only cost me $50.00, I poured almost a gallon of water and nothing came in.

But I'm glad you reply to my question because I almost posted what you did.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by zoolander
Dude not to sound crazy here but I did this and wrote up a review and posted the steps with pics in a pdf on this thread...? its really quite simple....and you don't need a special tool for the windshield wipers i just yanked them off with a pair of pliers...I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking? If you look in the pdf you'll see where the rotted seal was that allowed the water to come in and the steps I took to resolve it.... the whole thing too about an hour.....good luck!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

Had the same problem on my '03. Pollen filter was correctly installed and I bought the "kit" to seal the corner of the filter housing - to no avail. (The kit is basically a piece of vinyl tape that is supposed to shield the corner of the filter housing from runoff - it didn't work for me.)

The problem is actually caused by an ill-fitting windshield shroud, the plastic cover that runs along the bottom of the windshield. The center section of the shroud fit snugly into the channel at the base of the windshield but was slightly warped at the outer edges, probably due to age, and didn't fit well at either end allowing water to run underneath it and cascade onto the filter, making its way to the interior and carpet. It's not an issue on the driver's side (US models) since there isn't an opening there. It was especially noticeable during very heavy rainfall or when the car was facing down an incline, since the angle allowed the runoff to land directly onto the filter. My solution was to create another shroud, under the plastic cover. I found that rolled lead flashing (typically used by roofers or bricklayers to waterproof a chimney) worked perfectly. The lead is 6" wide and you need about 15" of it to adequately cover the filter housing. It's the right thickness so that it can be wedged into the gap under the windshield and at 6" wide is perfect to cover the entire pollen filter. It's also bendable so it conforms to any shape you'd like to redirect the overflow from the windshield. The factory shroud fits over it without any problem and when it's time to change the filter you can easily bend it up or remove and replace it.

The flashing is a staple on every roofer's truck and if you ask, I'd bet they'd give you a 15" piece free or for a couple of dollars. It worked for me.

Steve

Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I experienced this problem yesterday and decided to check out the cabin air filter. I all started when I went through a car wash that did undercarriage spray. Ten minutes later I was hearing water inside the car like someone left a water hose on.

I checked out this post and decided to check the cabin air filter which is located under the plastic windshield guard with is secured by 5 plastic pins. just pop each pin up with a flat head screw driver and pull them out. Go to the passenger side under the hood and lift up plastic protective cover and you'll see the cabin air filter.

In my case I couldn't even see the filter. The whole basin was filled with leaves, sticks and bugs plus it was wet. After vacuuming out the cabin basin for 20 minutes I got to the filter which was soak and wet. pulled the filter out and continued to vacuum until there was no debris left. The air filter was soaked and wet. I banged it on the ground and tons of dirt and mud came out. It completely stopped all air flow.

I replaced the cabin air filter, started the car and I could feel the air suction. No more water dripping so thanks for the advice. Luckily this was a simple fix.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leaks Too!

I wanted to thank all you guys for sharing your finds and fixes for this. I am getting in this thread in 2016, but find it very useful. After a major downpour hear in Florida yesterday, I had probably a cup and a half of water on the passenger floor. After finding your thread, I found the filter and discovered it was totally soaked but not really blocked with leaves.
It is clear the shroud is the problem. It seems to be tight at the drivers side, but not so on the passenger side. Water has a direct access to the filter. Not well thought out, but it is what it is.
Has anyone been able to seal the shroud better, or is the seal attempt around the filter itself the only solution?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kobedog1
I wanted to thank all you guys for sharing your finds and fixes for this. I am getting in this thread in 2016, but find it very useful. After a major downpour hear in Florida yesterday, I had probably a cup and a half of water on the passenger floor. After finding your thread, I found the filter and discovered it was totally soaked but not really blocked with leaves.
It is clear the shroud is the problem. It seems to be tight at the drivers side, but not so on the passenger side. Water has a direct access to the filter. Not well thought out, but it is what it is.
Has anyone been able to seal the shroud better, or is the seal attempt around the filter itself the only solution?
I don't think there's an easy way to seal the shroud since it has to be removable to get at the pollen filter. I fab'd a shield out of lead flashing back in 2012 and my car's been dry ever since. Give it a try.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My car has a slight leak now so I guess it's my turn to try and fix it. Did anybody actually find the problem and then rectify it?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt
My car has a slight leak now so I guess it's my turn to try and fix it. Did anybody actually find the problem and then rectify it?

Thanks.
I had the same issue and fixed it by removing the cabin filter assembly, removing the sealant, using new silicon sealant and reassembling.
Removing the wipers is probably the hardest part since they are tight; a crowbar can be used being careful not to damage the cowl. The cowl comes out pretty easy with standard plastic pins holding it down. Easy 15-30 minute job depending on how handy you are.
Here is write up that includes some pictures...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-side-190908/

Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by zoolander
Okay here's a pdf of what I thought the problem might have been....now the seal behind the pollen filter box was bad so naturally I thought that water was building up underneath it and making it's way in...In the pdf you'll see that I removed the old seal and used a better seal to reseal the filter box...thus not using the Jag part that was called for in the TSB because I really don't see how that could have helped...however, after doing this and before I put the final plastic cover back on at the base of the windshield I took note of the angle of the windshield in regards to the positioning of the filter box...it is lined up perfectly to drop water directly on top of the filter...so I grabbed a bottle of water and poured it down the windshield only to see it do just that....after inspecting the plastic cover I noticed that there is a tiny fin that runs the length of the covering that I think is there to deflect the flow of water around the box but this is a pretty lame attempt at best...so, in short, I'll just have to wait and see if the seal I replaced was the problem or that little fin isn't doing it's job.
Awesome !
I will try this in the next couple of days. I think the problem is two fold. The cowling has a small strip that seals at the base of the windshield. When that is broken or torn water is able to run down into the cabin filter area and it probably gets in due to the rotted seal behind the airbox.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:51 PM

I ordered a new shroud and cleaned and resealed the cabin filter housing as described above. Last night it rained really hard and today the carpet is a little wet on the passenger side again. I'll try the roof flashing next. Frustrating to say the least.

I did find what looked to be the factory "fix" which had come lose. It was a plastic piece roughly 3 X 4 inches with a black tar type substance that had dried out. it was lying flat on the bottom under the cabin filter.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt
I ordered a new shroud and cleaned and resealed the cabin filter housing as described above. Last night it rained really hard and today the carpet is a little wet on the passenger side again. I'll try the roof flashing next. Frustrating to say the least.

I did find what looked to be the factory "fix" which had come lose. It was a plastic piece roughly 3 X 4 inches with a black tar type substance that had dried out. it was lying flat on the bottom under the cabin filter.
I was mistaken, the repair worked and there is/was no water in the car whatsoever.

Thanks Zoolander!