Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leaking on passenger side floor

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Water leaking on passenger side floor

Yesterday was pretty humid and after an hour-long drive into the country my wife noticed water running down towards her feet. I figure it must be condensation from the A/C and think a drain hole must be blocked somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions about
how to locate a clear that blockage?

Thanks
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, for starters take a look at where it's coming from. Seems like something is not draining right.

Years ago (okay, decades ago) I had a Mazda RX7 and I day I noticed the car reeked like mold inside. I couldn't figure out what it was. Turns out the area where the glass hatch back rested on the car there was two drains for water, which was really nothing more than a rubber tube that ran to the bottom of the car. Somehow it got re-directed to the back of the trunk and the trunk was filling up with water under the fabric.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Yesterday was pretty humid and after an hour-long drive into the country my wife noticed water running down towards her feet. I figure it must be condensation from the A/C and think a drain hole must be blocked somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions about

Thanks
Sadly I have the same problem...the place I purchased the car from had found out where it was coming from and fixed it for a little bit but its back now...and I can't find the guy who fixed it for me the first time....in my case it wasn't a blocked drainage tube...If I'm able to locate I will let you know.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pab

Thanks

The issue is caused by one of a couple things. In all cases the water is coming in from the cabin filter housing.

First and most likely is the cabin filter is not sitting flush in its housing. Second would be leaves, debris, etc are clogging up the drain hole under the cabin filter causing water to back up and not drain correctly. Third would be the small rubber like piece attached to the top of the cabin filter housing is missing. Last would be the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield is not flush with the windshield causing water to come in where its not supposed to.

The following 3 users liked this post by DZtt:
mobilextc (09-25-2012), okumanchoja (12-03-2012), rocket11 (12-01-2021)
Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Sunroof leak

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck
Well, for starters take a look at where it's coming from. Seems like something is not draining right.

Years ago (okay, decades ago) I had a Mazda RX7 and I day I noticed the car reeked like mold inside. I couldn't figure out what it was. Turns out the area where the glass hatch back rested on the car there was two drains for water, which was really nothing more than a rubber tube that ran to the bottom of the car. Somehow it got re-directed to the back of the trunk and the trunk was filling up with water under the fabric.
I had a problem like this on a 944 I once owned the sunroof had two drain holes at the back and they were connected to rubber tubes that ran down inside the car and out thru the rear quarter panels to the street, one got clogged and I was getting water in the trunk. I took a coat hanger straightened it out and carefully ran it down the hole and tube fixed the problem. As far as water on the feet or floor, could be the hose from the condenser inside the car has broken and water is leaking inside, usually a simple fix if you can get at the attachment point without taking out half the dash.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>Second would be leaves, debris, etc are clogging up the drain hole under the cabin filter

Great, that's what I suspect is happening. My car lives outside so it is constantly exposed to leaves and other stuff falling out of the sky...

But, can someone tell me how to get at the cabin filter? It's always been changed when the car was at the dealer.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>Second would be leaves, debris, etc are clogging up the drain hole under the cabin filter

Great, that's what I suspect is happening. My car lives outside so it is constantly exposed to leaves and other stuff falling out of the sky...

But, can someone tell me how to get at the cabin filter? It's always been changed when the car was at the dealer.

Thanks
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-filter-53013/

Just be careful when your taking off the cowl and putting it back on. You don't want to break it since it's made of plastic. Also be careful of the little groove on the back of the cowl that goes into a slot at the bottom of the windshield. You need to make sure that goes back into the groove when putting everything back together.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pab

Thanks

This may help...i just ordered the part through the dealer and it was like 12 bucks.

XT501-08
X-TYPE
DATE
06/03 Amended 12/04
MODEL
2002-03 MY
X-TYPE VIN
C00001-D16994 Passenger Footwell Water Leakage -
Leakage At Pollen Filter Housing -
Install Water Shield Remove and destroy Bulletin XT501-08, dated 06/03.
Replace with this Bulletin.
Revisions are marked with a bar and asterisks. Issue:
On some 2002-03 MY X-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN range, customers may complain of water leaking into the passenger footwell.
A water shield is now available that can be installed on the curb side of the pollen filter housing to eliminate this concern.
Action:
In case of a verified customer complaint of water leaking past the pollen filter housing, install a water shield as outlined below.
WORKSHOP PROCEDURE
1. Remove pollen filter. (See Workshop Manual, section: 412-01, SRO 76.10.09). 2. Remove pollen filter housing securing nuts. 3. Displace and remove pollen filter housing. 4. If present, remove any excess "hot melt" glue that may obstruct the installation of the water shield. 5. Clean local area of pollen filter housing where water shield will be installed.

6. For pollen filter housings with a double slot, cut and remove material from water shield (Illustration 1).
Note :Ensure that the four corners of the original cutout remain for location purposes.
Note :Sufficient material should be removed to allow water shield to seal flat against housing.

7. Remove and discard backing paper from water shield, align and affix water shield to pollen filter housing. (Illustration 2 if single slot pollen filter housing) (Illustration 3 if double slot pollen filter housing). 8. Install pollen filter housing. 9. Install and tighten pollen filter housing securing nuts. 10. Install pollen filter. (See Workshop Manual, section: 412-01, SRO 76.10.09).

Parts Information:

Warranty Information:
Warranty claims should be submitted quoting the information found in the table. This will result in payment of the stated time and, where applicable parts/miscellaneous expense codes as listed.

Last edited by zoolander; 09-28-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: The pictures in the post keep changing?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, but before I dive in I want to make certain we're talking about the same problem. My water leak is clearly A/C condensation not rain water, in fact I have never seen leaking from rain. So, just to make sure, does the A/C system drain it's condensation out via the cabin air filter housing?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Smile water leak

Originally Posted by zoolander
This may help...i just ordered the part through the dealer and it was like 12 bucks.

XT501-08
X-TYPE
DATE
06/03 Amended 12/04
MODEL
2002-03 MY
X-TYPE VIN
On some 2002-03 MY X-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN range, customers may complain of water leaking into the passenger footwell.
A water shield is now available that can be installed on the curb side of the pollen filter housing to eliminate this concern.
Action:
In case of a verified customer complaint of water leaking past the pollen filter housing, install a water shield as outlined below.
WORKSHOP PROCEDURE
1. Remove pollen filter. (See Workshop Manual, section: 412-01, SRO 76.10.09). 2. Remove pollen filter housing securing nuts. 3. Displace and remove pollen filter housing. 4. If present, remove any excess "hot melt" glue that may obstruct the installation of the water shield. 5. Clean local area of pollen filter housing where water shield will be installed.

6. For pollen filter housings with a double slot, cut and remove material from water shield (Illustration 1).
Note :Ensure that the four corners of the original cutout remain for location purposes.
Note :Sufficient material should be removed to allow water shield to seal flat against housing.

7. Remove and discard backing paper from water shield, align and affix water shield to pollen filter housing. (Illustration 2 if single slot pollen filter housing) (Illustration 3 if double slot pollen filter housing). 8. Install pollen filter housing. 9. Install and tighten pollen filter housing securing nuts. 10. Install pollen filter. (See Workshop Manual, section: 412-01, SRO 76.10.09).

Parts Information:

Warranty Information:
Warranty claims should be submitted quoting the information found in the table. This will result in payment of the stated time and, where applicable parts/miscellaneous expense codes as listed.
I printed this info out just in case I get a water leak on the passenger side, so the dealer won't charge me $105 to just look at the car. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is the actual TSB but I don't think that the shield is still available.
You can make a similar shield.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is the actual TSB but I don't think that the shield is still available.
You can make a similar shield.

bob gauff

Let's hope that's not the case...They told me it should be in today...we'll see.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The A/C condensation drain outlet is hidden above the heat shield for the transfer case. It is really hard to get to.

bob gauff

Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Smile Leak

Originally Posted by pab
Thanks guys, but before I dive in I want to make certain we're talking about the same problem. My water leak is clearly A/C condensation not rain water, in fact I have never seen leaking from rain. So, just to make sure, does the A/C system drain it's condensation out via the cabin air filter housing?
How do you know there is rain water leaking in? If indeed it is Zoolander's fix will probably work. As it seems, by the parts ordered, they will take care of both problems.

Did you recently change the fresh air filter which is under the cowling on top, you have to remove the wipers to get at it and removing the plastic is a pain. Also, the filter is located on the drivers side of the car and not the passenger. Unless the water has found some sort of channel to run down the passenger side.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 AM

FYI...My local Jag dealer called yesterday to tell me that the part is in...At some point I will grab it and install...I'll let the forum know the outcome!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Default Here's what I did

Okay here's a pdf of what I thought the problem might have been....now the seal behind the pollen filter box was bad so naturally I thought that water was building up underneath it and making it's way in...In the pdf you'll see that I removed the old seal and used a better seal to reseal the filter box...thus not using the Jag part that was called for in the TSB because I really don't see how that could have helped...however, after doing this and before I put the final plastic cover back on at the base of the windshield I took note of the angle of the windshield in regards to the positioning of the filter box...it is lined up perfectly to drop water directly on top of the filter...so I grabbed a bottle of water and poured it down the windshield only to see it do just that....after inspecting the plastic cover I noticed that there is a tiny fin that runs the length of the covering that I think is there to deflect the flow of water around the box but this is a pretty lame attempt at best...so, in short, I'll just have to wait and see if the seal I replaced was the problem or that little fin isn't doing it's job.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag.pdf (1.99 MB, 1543 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
pab
Veteran Member

So, I just heard back from the dealer... =:-0

They inspected things, blew air into the line, noticed some water running out, concluded there was a blockage in the drain, but were not able to clear it out.

They called to tell me that they will have to inspect the "heater matrix" in order to fully diagnose the problem. The also said that my Ford warranty won't cover it unless they find some failed component. If something just got sucked into the line and they have to get that out, I will be responsible for the costs.

But, here's the best part... to get to the "heater matrix" they have to first remove the dash... :-(

But since I don't want water getting into the cabin and possibly cause mold to start growing I told them to go ahead and continue with their diagnosis. Hope I did the right thing.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Got the car back last Friday so here's a run-down of the repairs:

1) Three door speakers were replaced, no explanation of why they failed - the magnet coming unglued as someone else said?
2) Hood release cable, latches, and handle replaced
3) L/R F/R sway bar bushings replaced, they noticed wear while looking the car over...
4) Dash removed and "gunk" (i.e., leaves, etc.) removed from heater - they took pictures and I could see leaves cluttering the heating/cooling coils. Told me they had never seen that before... =:-0

Door speakers $85 each, .5 hrs x 3 to replace - 1/2 hr/door, not unreasonable

Hood release cable pieces $75, 1.5 hrs to replace - lots of fiddly things but seems a little bit long)

Sway bar bushings $240, 2 hrs to replace - that does seems long for that job, is it?

Dash removal and A/C drain clearing 4 hrs to perform - this is an UGLY job and I'm surprised they could do it in 4hrs, I wonder how much they had to replace/move to get at the heater. Anybody have any ideas here?

Total: $1821 including tax.

Jaguar dealer's shop rate $160/hr.

Ford premium care plan paid $1276.94 - covered everything but the dash removal and drain clearing plus $50 deductible.

Paid $3200 for Ford plan, collected $1300 so far... :-)

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone done this procedure on their own? I removed the filter (it was dirty) Im prob gonna get a new one, but i couldn't remove the wipers since in the workshop manual it says that you need a special tool to remove them after you've removed the bolts, so i didn't even bother with it.

But i cleared the area around the filter of any leaves cleaned the housing and put the filter again in, but i tried it again and I have water still coming in to the car. Im sure if i get this done it will fix it, but I'm wondering if this is something I can just get the parts and do it myself.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by zoolander

XT501-08
X-TYPE
DATE
06/03 Amended 12/04
MODEL
2002-03 MY
X-TYPE VIN
Action:
WORKSHOP PROCEDURE

Parts Information:

Warranty Information:

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ar15fonsi
Has anyone done this procedure on their own? I removed the filter (it was dirty) Im prob gonna get a new one, but i couldn't remove the wipers since in the workshop manual it says that you need a special tool to remove them after you've removed the bolts, so i didn't even bother with it.

But i cleared the area around the filter of any leaves cleaned the housing and put the filter again in, but i tried it again and I have water still coming in to the car. Im sure if i get this done it will fix it, but I'm wondering if this is something I can just get the parts and do it myself.

Thanks in advance

Dude not to sound crazy here but I did this and wrote up a review and posted the steps with pics in a pdf on this thread...? its really quite simple....and you don't need a special tool for the windshield wipers i just yanked them off with a pair of pliers...I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking? If you look in the pdf you'll see where the rotted seal was that allowed the water to come in and the steps I took to resolve it.... the whole thing too about an hour.....good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Ar15fonsi (03-25-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water leaking on passenger side floor