X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with TCM?

Hey i finally got the TCM out, what do i do to it now? i believe my tranny fault message is because of the TCM.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Charm, have a friend with an X-Type? If so, see if you can put your computer into his car and see if the problems you are experiencing show up there. Or, pull the computer out of his car and put it into yours. Kinda a 6 of one, half a dozen of another. If you are not that lucky, then I would start looking to see what you can find in the way of wrecking yard parts.

If you do some looking on the forums here, there was a company that was talked about on here that will take your TCM and rebuild it, restoring it to "like new" condition. Not sure what they would charge you for something like a TCM, but I am sure it will be more than getting a used TCM.

Your call, but that is the options as I see them.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by charm11
Hey i finally got the TCM out, what do i do to it now? i believe my tranny fault message is because of the TCM.
Open it up, have a look, mine was able to be cleaned out, you'll see corrosion on the contacts, get contact cleaner and a can of air, clean it up, let it dry completely, separate the wiring harness to give you some length hook it up to test, clearing the codes first with an OBDII reader.

Should be fine, then if it is zap strap it so the wire loop up instead of down onto something high up on the firewall so the moisture you're getting will drop down off the wires before entering the TCM.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my x type to a Tranny shop where they did a quick check up,
they hooked my car up to something and looked for and tranny error codes and what not but nothing showed up. Since nothing showed up they decided to take my car out for a drive, they said the car does drive funny with the RPM going up but not accelerating, and when shifting. When i got my car back all the tranny lights where off but shortly after they came back again.
He told me it could be a sensor screwing up or the tranny going bad... His advice was drive it till it gets bad then bring it back for another check or to sell it ASAP