X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what exhaust should i get?;)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what exhaust should i get?;)

hey everybody i got a 2002 Jag X type 3.0 standard! n well i saw some vids on the Jag with some nice dual exhaust but i am not sure what to buy. like just the tip? the whole pipe? the cat converter? or wut? please help me out on which one to buy n what brand as well please.

Thanx

Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to minagallery.com. They have the exhaust from the video. I have it and I love it

The following users liked this post:
mohrd (08-05-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm doing a before-after -video with the Adamesh exhaust (currently on my floor, I'll have it installed during August). If you are going to change the mufflers, you may want to wait for me to complete it to hear what it sounds like. Here's a few screencaps from the stock part:

mohrd (08-05-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

John, all of the kits that you can buy are going to be mufflers only with attached tips. There are no complete kits that I am aware of that could be labeled as "Cat Back" kits. So, you can write that off of your list unless you are planning on going completely custom.

With that being said, I have installed 2 of the Mina kits onto members Jags. You can do the kit in your driveway with nothing more than an hour of time, a sawzall, and a wrench. It is a really easy kit to install. The hardest part is simply moving the pieces around to make the tips look right. Not difficult at all.

What you will find out is that the factory exhaust system is pretty free flowing. So, the need to upgrade beyond the mufflers is a little pointless. Not to mention that atleast 1 member (possibly more) have tried opening up the exhaust and started getting all sorts of codes associated with the exhaust.

When it comes to gains with the new mufflers, you are not going to see much. You are only looking at gaining at best about 5 hp. Like I said, the factory exhaust system is pretty good. Now, you will get a different look and the note coming from the exhaust is different. So, is it worth the price that you will pay? Only you can answer that.

If you are only looking at adding tips to the exhaust, you will not see any performance gains and all you will get is some visual. So, what is a look worth to you?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM

aonsaithya, yea i can wait on you to see what it sounds like. just post n let me know so i can check it out n Thermo, nice to know it isnt hard because i want to do it myself (cheaper) n thanx for the info!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Pull off the resonator. Then install two magnaflow mufflers with your choice of stainless steel tips. It will sound great.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
I'm doing a before-after -video with the Adamesh exhaust (currently on my floor, I'll have it installed during August). If you are going to change the mufflers, you may want to wait for me to complete it to hear what it sounds like. Here's a few screencaps from the stock part:
Thanks in advance. Been waiting for the Adamesh sound clip. Please post a link when you have it.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

I had them installed today. The first thought I had when the installer turned it on to reverse it outside was "sounds muscular" etc. The first thought I had when I drove it myself was "seriously too loud on the inside". It's like rumbly with an ever-present booming noise, mostly annoying all the time. I was hoping for something that you could drive, like, normally as well. Like a cat, claws should only come out on-demand. My typically calm driving style is suffering, the booming rumble feels embarrassing (well it doesn't sound like that on the outside, but it makes me feel so still ) no matter how calmly I try to pull away from the lights.

I'll try to get used to it. If I don't, I'll have to think of something. For now, I can't really recommend this set, unfortunately because Adamesh people were so nice to deal with. The build quality of the exhaust seems superb, but I can't understand the acoustic design.

EDIT:
After some more driving and listening and recording, the exhaust sounds seriously great outside of the car with idle receiving extra points. However, for me the booming noise inside any time the engine is under load spoils it all.

Adamesh people replied to my concerns and said they have sold the system for 5 years so far and I am the first unhappy customer. My friends did also say that the exhaust noise was unbearably loud, but perhaps more performance-oriented customers don't it so overwhelming.

I'll try to make a better clip later, combine it with the stock exhaust video and upload it.
This is just my experience and opinion. If many X-Type drivers have liked it, it is more likely that I'm the problem here, not the product. Mileage may vary etc, I'm just saying this because I know people here don't have experience with these and I don't want to bash them.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 08-09-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Alrighty, video is up in glorious 1080p:
Sorry about my lackluster revving skills, I've never really done it before and I likely never will let's hope it gives you some idea of what's what.

All clips were shot with an EOS 7D and a Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens, resulting in an effective focal length of 136mm. That should give you some kind of idea how far behind the car the camera was in the behind-parts of the video.
The exhaust is louder in person and very deep and bass-heavy. Camera microphone of course adjust gain depending on how noisy the conditions are and thus makes it difficult to judge by the video.

This is the second day with the exhaust installed, and I've come to conclude that the cabin noise is too much for me. It might work for someone with a souped-up sport model and a sporty driving style as it does bring some feeling with it, but I'm more of a grand tourer guy and this is my daily-driver car. I think I'll try to dampen the sound with some aluminium foil bubble wrap magic. The Adamesh exhaust is a straight pipe with a resonator and no muffler, so if the foil is foiled, my backup plan will likely be the Mina Gallery exhaust as it has a muffler. That would make this a rather costly adventure, though...yet it'd still be less than a pair of original Jag mufflers in Finland without labour :P

Geoff from Adamesh said that they've sold these systems for 5 years and that I'm the first unhappy customer. Today I remembered that I do indeed have, and always have had, oversensitive hearing. For example I have always found that other people listen to music far too loud for me (very tiring and actually hurts my ears sometimes), difficult in parties. When I drove my ex's father's ~2007 Saab 9-3 turbo on a highway with 100km/h speed limit, I drove the whole journey at 80km/h because the tire noise was intolerable at 100km/h.
While my friends did agree that the exhaust is loud, they are not that experienced with cars so of course it's louder than, say, a normal Golf. My hearing oversensitiveness may be what pushes it (and me) over the edge.

EDIT:
For those who are interested, a clear side indicator with chromium bulb:

EDIT2:
"The Adamesh exhaust is a straight pipe with a resonator and no muffler, so if the foil is foiled, my backup plan will likely be the Mina Gallery exhaust as it has a muffler."
Geoff responded and stated that there is indeed a muffler. The local tech thought otherwise, but I'll go with the official statement.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 08-10-2012 at 05:51 AM.
mohrd (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

IMO it sounds and looks better than stock. Of course i would rather hear kitty growl and purr than music anyways. If you could post one more shot (pretty please), it would be a side view from a short distance away. For my taste, the OEM and Mina boxes are too big and hang down detracting from the appearance. I'm wondering if the Adamesh has a cleaner look.

Thanks a lot for actually getting us a sound clip. Like the Rep says, they've been selling them for five years but this is the first time we've been able to hear what it sounds like before purchasing.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, the sound itself is a superb improvement over the stock exhaust. It' just too loud for me. The clip doesn't do the sound proper justice because I guess I should've revved it at least once from idle to redline with the foot completely down. I just somehow didn't think of doing that

Here are some quick photos I snapped with my phone (clicky for big):

It lined up quite perfectly so that the top edge is just in line with the above part of the rear valance edge. Small adjustments seemed easy to do.

Like I said it's too loud for my taste on the inside and outside, but I've noticed that barely anyone actually looks when I drive past or start the engine so again, it's just me. I'm just so noise-sensitive that I'm going to try the Mina exhaust. I'll probably sell the Adamesh exhaust when the Mina exhaust arrives, after cleaning it should be in good-as-new condition and absolutely no changes were made to it when it was installed.

mohrd (08-11-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Update, added a revving clip to make it easier for others (and me) to compare the exhaust with other such clips on YouTube:

Even my mother (along with a lot of people) says that she doesn't find the exhaust too loud and that it does sound good. I can't live with it myself, but she did remind me of the oversensitive senses (vision, hearing, taste, touch, smell) I was diagnosed with when young. So don't let my rant about it being much too loud put you off.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow That sounds great to me. I like it better than my Mina Exhaust. Let's just trade haha.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Alrighty, video is up in glorious 1080p:
Jaguar X Type exhaust duel stock vs Adamesh - YouTube
Sorry about my lackluster revving skills, I've never really done it before and I likely never will let's hope it gives you some idea of what's what.

All clips were shot with an EOS 7D and a Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens, resulting in an effective focal length of 136mm. That should give you some kind of idea how far behind the car the camera was in the behind-parts of the video.
The exhaust is louder in person and very deep and bass-heavy. Camera microphone of course adjust gain depending on how noisy the conditions are and thus makes it difficult to judge by the video.

This is the second day with the exhaust installed, and I've come to conclude that the cabin noise is too much for me. It might work for someone with a souped-up sport model and a sporty driving style as it does bring some feeling with it, but I'm more of a grand tourer guy and this is my daily-driver car. I think I'll try to dampen the sound with some aluminium foil bubble wrap magic. The Adamesh exhaust is a straight pipe with a resonator and no muffler, so if the foil is foiled, my backup plan will likely be the Mina Gallery exhaust as it has a muffler. That would make this a rather costly adventure, though...yet it'd still be less than a pair of original Jag mufflers in Finland without labour :P

Geoff from Adamesh said that they've sold these systems for 5 years and that I'm the first unhappy customer. Today I remembered that I do indeed have, and always have had, oversensitive hearing. For example I have always found that other people listen to music far too loud for me (very tiring and actually hurts my ears sometimes), difficult in parties. When I drove my ex's father's ~2007 Saab 9-3 turbo on a highway with 100km/h speed limit, I drove the whole journey at 80km/h because the tire noise was intolerable at 100km/h.
While my friends did agree that the exhaust is loud, they are not that experienced with cars so of course it's louder than, say, a normal Golf. My hearing oversensitiveness may be what pushes it (and me) over the edge.

EDIT:
For those who are interested, a clear side indicator with chromium bulb:
Adamesh clear indicator and chromium bulb - YouTube

EDIT2:
"The Adamesh exhaust is a straight pipe with a resonator and no muffler, so if the foil is foiled, my backup plan will likely be the Mina Gallery exhaust as it has a muffler."
Geoff responded and stated that there is indeed a muffler. The local tech thought otherwise, but I'll go with the official statement.
The sound of this setup doesn't sound any different from my Mina setup, inside or outside

Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 AM

What sort of engines does Jaguar used? Mention some configuration for it.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Green Machine
The sound of this setup doesn't sound any different from my Mina setup, inside or outside
Interesting, I've compared the latter video with several videos, including this
And I think it sounds very different.

How much low-end growl/rumble is there in the Mina exhaust? Can you hear it in cruising speeds or when calmly accelerating on 5th gear on highway speeds?
EDIT: I'm not being confrontational, I'm trying to find out whether I should swap to Mina or whether it would be too loud for me as well.

Originally Posted by MichaelPort
What sort of engines does Jaguar used? Mention some configuration for it.
In the X-Type;
Jaguar AJ-V6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also the 4-cylinder diesels of which I don't know much about.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 08-13-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd like to know the real deference as well. I'm really thinking about the Mina Exhaust.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

To the Op, Thanks for the write up and 1080 video about the adamesh. I have been waiting some time to hear that exhaust. I think for the price, I might go with the Mina Gallery, but the Adamesh looks great on the car.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
I'd like to know the real deference as well. I'm really thinking about the Mina Exhaust.
I've ordered the Mina exhaust now, because Chris from Mina and several forum-goers say that it's not much louder than stock on lower rpms. I'll obviously make a video of it as well, should take about 2 weeks. Since I'll be using the same camera, it should be pretty good for comparing. Do note however that the first youtube video was shot with a 85mm lens and the second (with revving) with a 50mm lens, so the revving clip was slightly closer.

...I'll also probably have a great-condition Adamesh system for sale at that point, coincidentally.

Originally Posted by fabfive
To the Op, Thanks for the write up and 1080 video about the adamesh. I have been waiting some time to hear that exhaust. I think for the price, I might go with the Mina Gallery, but the Adamesh looks great on the car.

Thanks!
I'm not OP
Price difference, not counting shipping, is practically non-existent. The Adamesh is certainly the more sporty-looking of the two (big, round, thick edges, and that inner ring in there) but still looks very high-class.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 08-14-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Nardoswiss (08-15-2012)

Quick Reply: what exhaust should i get?;)