Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's required to keep stereo controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's required to keep stereo controls

Hey guys,
I did a search, but I'm confused (quite confused?) about what's required. I just purchased my 2004 X-Type, and I'm interested in having the ability to retain the steering wheel controls while adding the ability to have bluetooth/mp3 support, and possibly adding NAV and dvd capabilities as well. I'm not sure what my existing stereo is considered, but it definitely doesn't have a NAV screen.

Maybe I should get into the priorities. The first thing I'm looking for is bluetooth capabilities. I would love to use my iphone handsfree. Second would be MP3 support, again from my iphone. Lastly would be the nav system and dvd capabilities. I have a tomtom I can use for nav, and while the kids would love to be able to watch movies in the headrest or some other screen, we have alternatives.

On to the questions. Does the ACM cover both MP3 and bluetooth requirements? It seems as though bluetooth and ACM are separate installs, and not dependant on each other. Is this the case? Can I go with a bluetooth install, then add the ACM at a later date? Does the ACM with iPhone cover bluetooth? Is there an aftermarket head unit which will look good in the factory position that will allow me to retain the steering wheel controls, and give me the functionality I'm looking for while possibly adding NAV and DVD at the same time? What is required for the addition of dvd support and headrest screens? Was this even offered by the factory?

I'd like to retain as much of a stock look and feel as possible.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will help you out on the headrest deal, but someone else will have to help you on the other stuff. Go to OEM S-Type and X-Type rear seat entertainment - insane prices, 90% off orig. MSRP! It is simply awesome plug and play and is from Jag. I am going to get one for mine and I would look into it if I was you. It IS the way to go!!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Holly cow! That's an outstanding deal. I'm totally getting in on it. I saw some aftermarket setups that were similar for twice the price. Thanks for the direction!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Paynecountry
Holly cow! That's an outstanding deal. I'm totally getting in on it. I saw some aftermarket setups that were similar for twice the price. Thanks for the direction!!!
If you search the audio video forum for X type you will see a few threads, Dennis Black did a good one, about what is required. Make sure you pay close attention to the depth of the unit you are putting in. The AC duct is right behind the head unit and it's not something you can carve into to make room. There are a few add on pieces, some universal and some made by the head unit mfg to accomodate the steering wheel controls, pretty simple almost plug and play. Getting a NAV unit might seem like a good idea but next time you're driving see how much attention you can pay to it givin it's location so low in the dash. Would have been more helpful if the heater controls were at the bottom and radio at the top.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Many of your questions are covered in a series of three web pages that I made up about my ACM and Bluetooth installations. Though you may come to a different conclusion than I did about the best value for your needs, I expect that these pages will provide valuable background information.

Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

Adding a Motorola T605 Bluetooth Adapter

Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks, guys! It's a huge help.

FYI, I've got an email into Nally Jag to see if I can get in on that sweet deal. That knocks out the DVD requirements. Now for the Bluetooth / MPT setup, and NAV.

Sidewalkman, I rarely actually look at my tomtom, but the navigator (wife) does. I typically just listen for the queue's when I don't know where I'm going. It would be nice to have this functionality built in, rather than have to plug into the lighter and mount to the windshield.

James, I came across your site before, but couldn't remember where I saw that info. I appreciate the links!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Hi again!

Great info James! This is exactly what I needed to get me lined up with what I need for everything except nav, and that's not a huge priority.

At this time I am going to be getting the rear entertainment system that Nally Jag is offering, assuming the deal is still going on.

To resolve my bluetooth issue, I'm going to try and source the parts for the jaguar bluetooth factory setup, This is going off the assumption that the iphone tie-in for the ACM won't give me hands free capabilities. I like this because it is a factory solution, and should make for a very clean install.

Later on down the road I'll be looking to add the ACM, and finally (hopefully) I'll find a stock nav setup on ebay or elsewhere that I can use to upgrade my existing system.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, guys! It's a huge help.

FYI, I've got an email into Nally Jag to see if I can get in on that sweet deal. That knocks out the DVD requirements. Now for the Bluetooth / MPT setup, and NAV.

Sidewalkman, I rarely actually look at my tomtom, but the navigator (wife) does. I typically just listen for the queue's when I don't know where I'm going. It would be nice to have this functionality built in, rather than have to plug into the lighter and mount to the windshield.

James, I came across your site before, but couldn't remember where I saw that info. I appreciate the links!
This summer I'm doing the double din replacement. I have to have green lit buttons to go with what we already have. I've been in too many cars with the wrong color and it screams aftermarket.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
...I've been in too many cars with the wrong color and it screams aftermarket.
How true it is. I definitely want this to retain as much of the stock appearance. I don't want it to have any hint of it looking tampered with when I'm done modding it.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM

sidewalkman-here's a pic for you. It is kinda low end looking, but it's green. lol.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX3...FFDouble%40DIN

paynecountry-I know what you mean. I started a thread about switching over to the jag nav system, but the only reply I got was to go aftermarket. Ebay has some from LMQ for $500, but nobody will tell me what else you would need.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by southernjag
sidewalkman-here's a pic for you. It is kinda low end looking, but it's green. lol.
Kenwood DPX308U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

paynecountry-I know what you mean. I started a thread about switching over to the jag nav system, but the only reply I got was to go aftermarket. Ebay has some from LMQ for $500, but nobody will tell me what else you would need.
lol, yeah that doesn't scream aftermarket. I actually found a couple with selectable display. But regardless you're going into it for a grand.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

i have a thread around hear somewhere
(my x-type projects and installs)

Name:  deckz1-1.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  steeringadapter.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  kenwoodbezel.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  6.4 KB

Name:  010-3.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  015-1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  307-1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  4455020-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  4646034.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  nexxia10.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  2.6 KB
Name:  nexxia12.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  1.3 KB

Name:  nexxia11.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.1 KB
Name:  001-4.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  36.8 KB

Last edited by dennis black; 05-26-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the add, Dennis! Can you tell me how the steering wheel controls are? I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so it may already be covered.

For others interested, the thread is located here.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

To resolve my bluetooth issue, I'm going to try and source the parts for the jaguar bluetooth factory setup, This is going off the assumption that the iphone tie-in for the ACM won't give me hands free capabilities. I like this because it is a factory solution, and should make for a very clean install.
I'm pretty sure that the factory's BT solution only accommodates phone functions, not stereo audio (A2DP) functions. If you want any A2DP functionality, you're going to have to look towards the aftermarket. Whether that means a new head unit, or a BT phone interface like the Motorola that I installed (or a Parrot device), or an A2DP-only receiver like the Belkin BT stereo receiver - that's something you'll have to decide.

Everything's a compromise.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks again James! I noticed that on your page. It truly is informative. My goal with bluetooth is for phone only at the moment, but that may change in the future. As you said, everything's a compromise!

With compromise in mind, it looks like an aftermarket double din replacement may be in my future. I started looking into the costs of maintaining and upgrading the factory setup, and I can't justify it. Even if I convert to factory nav, add the ACM, and the factory bluetooth phone setup, I'd still end up well behind today's technology. Couple that with the likely cost to do the conversion and additions ending up close to $1500 (if my calculations are correct), and I've doubled the cost of a satisfactory replacement that can still be tied into the steering wheel controls. Granted that I can't stage the installs, but again it's a compromise.

On a positive note, I took southernjag's suggestion for the rear entertainment system and it's being shipped today. My kids owe me big! Just don't tell them that I'm as excited about it as they are.

Thanks again for all the input. It has been truly helpful!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM

If you decide to go after market check out the 4th link on this page. It will solve that problem if that's the way you are going to go. Also, what part of OK are you from?

The Link.
Car Stereo Installation at Crutchfield.com

$70, but worth it if you want it like that!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm in Duncan, about 45 miles east of Lawton/Ft. Sill and 80 miles South of OKC.

I've been perusing crutchfield most of today. It's Friday, who needs to get any work done. It seems like that will work, but I still don't have my mind around the steering wheel control interface, and how it will work after installed.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

the eclipe unit comes with a stereo control harness
all i did was insatll the swi ecl unit
and all controls work on the steering wheel

Name:  steeringadapter.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  4646036-1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  77.9 KB

Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with jesen dvd entry level unit. I added steering wheel controls for 85 bucks I think you can also get bluetooth for 50 bucks and Nav. For 300 bucks

Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Any chance you've got a bigger pick of your setup gragner66? I'm leaning towards pioneer, but am always willing to entertain other ideas.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: What's required to keep stereo controls