Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's it worth?

Hello,
After having my 04 sport model written off as a total loss after a wreck, my insurance carrier had difficulty valuing the car. After having told them I thought it was a rare combination (black sport model , man trans and 3.0l engine) they searched 3 southern states to find a comparable unit without success. I have also not been able to locate a comparable replacement.
Are the production run numbers available, if so where can they be found?
I have read where more X types were produced than any other Jag model, and I would like to see the total production figures.
Several enthusiasts have made the argument that X types may be highly sought after in the future. Knowing how many were made may help to resolve this argument. As for me, I intend to keep mine in the family for ever (I appreciate it that much).
I believe this car did what Jag intended it to do; make it affordable, reliable, attractive and somewhat exotic (but not too exotic) so the common driver could own a piece of automotive history, later perhaps, to upgrade to a more prestigious model.
I fear the new models may have lost some of their Jagness, and are not nearly as distinctive and easily identified as the Jags of old. There is no doubt the X type highly resembles the beautiful Jags of yesteryear and that is what may make them collectible.
Your thoughts please, Best regards tnzman.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

tnz, using your zip as a general guide, looking on KBB, selling the car privately, for a car like yours with 80K miles on it and some of the more common goodies (NAV, Sport package), they say that in very good condition (23% of vehicles), that the car is worth about $5100. In good condition (50% of vehicles), it is worth $4650.

Looking on e-bay, take a look at this listing: Jaguar x Type 3 0 Sedan Sport | eBay. That has the car at $7400. Didn't look into the car all that much, but that will help justify the price you were hoping to get out of the car.

Granted, I would also explain that the Sport model was a limited edition vehicle and having it be a manual made it that much more rare. That will help the insurance agent justify the price that they give you. I would also make sure to point out any upgrades that you have done to the vehicle (new rims, aftermarket radio, custom paint, etc). This may also help drive the final price up.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunatley, in the 18 months I have owned it I have only had to install a set of tires ($500). I have been told the repairs are approching $4500. The last offer given was $4500 and change plus the salvaged car. Right now it seems like a reasonable settlement.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

If the repairs are already at $4500, then they are going to total the car out. Most insurances will consider the car totaled when the repairs exceed half the value of the car or the wheels are found to have left the ground during the accident (normally from either a roll over or the car being jumped into the air). I am not trying to be the bad news person, but that is what I have found to be a fairly accurate statement about the insurance companies.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i feel for you on this. i have an 04 sport manual with almost 160k on it, and i know ill be hard pressed to find a replacement should she give up on me.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by tnzman09
I fear the new models may have lost some of their Jagness, and are not nearly as distinctive and easily identified as the Jags of old. There is no doubt the X type highly resembles the beautiful Jags of yesteryear and that is what may make them collectible.
Your thoughts please, Best regards tnzman.
I feel you. When the time comes to replace my X type with a new daily driver I think the only option will be a C class. The new Jag sedans just keep on getting more and more bland (refer to the 2016 "redesigned" XF and XE. Put you to sleep real fast.