X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats Your X-Type Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update On The Drivetrain Fluids (except engine oil)

Hello Everybody:

Just for information gathering, a minute ago I called a Rybrook Jaguar Dealer in Huddersfield and got the following prices:

£35.57 for 1 Litre of Manual Gear Box Oil (2 Litres => £71.14).
£26.52 for 1 Litre of Transfer Case / Final Drive Oil (2 Litres => £53.04).

So that is the total of £124.18 for the fluids needed for my drivetrain (not including the motor oil which is not an issue here).

The person in the Rybrook Jaguar said these are the REAL Jaguar Manufacturer Part Number oils used by them when servicing.

When I asked him what brands are they, he said "I don't know".

Then I asked "Are they Castrol or something?", and he answered, "Yes, I think they might be Castrol, but I am not sure, we just go by the Jaguar Part Numbers and we use these when servicing".

It is understandable, the person I talked to was an employee from the Parts Department equipped with nothing but a computer, he was not a mechanic doing these servicing.

So, I know that £124.18 is a lot, but if these are really those very scarce and mysterious "IMMORTAL" fluids the manufacturers originally put in our X-Types when new, it might be worth of going this route!

After these oil changes, I don't think I will have to change the fluids in the Transfer Box and Final Drive ever again in the future life of my car.

Maybe not even in the Gear Box... unless something fails of course... but this is why I am doing all these replacements in the first place - so nothing fails in the future, am I right?

Please, don't laugh about this post, because I do have registered mental health issues and I have been in treatment for Anxiety, Depression, Paranoia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Etc...

Anxiety and Paranoia are the worst ones, they make each ride in my Son Baby Jag the "diagnostic test drive", and I really go nuts in heavy traffic (which is all the time except at 3:00 AM), feeling my clutch and gear box and transfer case and final drive really, really suffering... I love motorway cruising only, but again only and only without traffic, which is really rare here in North England. I also like the meandering country roads, but they are so narrow here in North England, that they only fit one car, so if you have a car in an opposite direction, the joy is gone again: downshift, brake, stop, reverse, make a space for a car to pass, accelerate, get on with great racing for 2 more minutes, until another car appears... so for me the best time to drive is the night between 01:00 AM and 04:00 AM - but at these times the roads are really extremely polluted with Asian Taxi Cab drivers, and they are the worst tailgaiters at all, and they do not know how to drive at all, for example when they pick up or drop off a passenger, they stop in the middle of the road giving no jack s**t that I am behind them driving my beloved and only family member - my Son Baby Jag.

Thanks

Paul

Attached Thumbnails Whats Your X-Type Gas Mileage-bj1.jpg   Whats Your X-Type Gas Mileage-bj4.jpg  

Last edited by Pauljagpaul; 09-23-2016 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Grammar & Uploading Large Pics
Old 09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Default Update On The Drivetrain Fluids 2 (except engine oil)

Okay, getting somewhere...

Just browsing Ford M2C-200-C ATF
That might do the job for the gear box, and 1 Litre is only £9.95.
It matches the Jaguar Recommended Code: WSD-M2C200-C

But they don't seem to have the one for transfer case / final drive, the Jaguar Recommended Code of which is: M2C192A

Will post later if successful any further...

Last edited by Pauljagpaul; 09-23-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Default Update On The Drivetrain Fluids 2 (including engine oil)

Hi All, I just sent the following message to Opie Oils on their website at http://www.opieoils.co.uk/:

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I need the oil for my Front Transfer Case Differential and for my Rear Final Drive Differential.
The Haynes Manual states the Jaguar Specification M2C192A Synthetic.
The Rybrook Jaguar Dealer in Huddersfield said it must be Full Synthetic.
The Jaguar Vehicle Specification Book from July 2004 states the Lubricant M2C 192A Synthetic - the Part Number of which is JLM 20771.
I just cannot find this type of oil anywhere in the World using the internet and neither in the UK using the phone.

I also need an oil for my Manual Gear Box.
The Haynes Manual states the Jaguar Specification WSD-M2C200-C.
The Rybrook Jaguar Dealer in Huddersfield said it must be Part Synthetic.
The Jaguar Vehicle Specification Book from July 2004 states the Lubricant Castrol BOT 130M - the Part Number of which is C2S 19889.
I just cannot find this type of oil anywhere in the World using the internet and neither in the UK using the phone.

I would not be worried too much about these drivetrain gear oils if there was not the following article available on the internet:
Jaguar Motor Project: Motor Project # 8 - Vital Fluids

I will also need an Engine Oil at some point.
The Haynes Manual states the Jaguar Specification WSS-M2C913-A or WSS-M2C913-B with SAE valuess of 0W/30 * 5W/30 * 0W/40 * 5W/40 (myself preferring 0W/40 of course).
The Jaguar Vehicle Specification Book from July 2004 states the Oil Specification API SJ / EC and ACEA A1 or A3 with Jaguar WSS–M2C913–B preferred.
I know that these oils are readily available on your website and everywhere else.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

So will see what they recommend...

Last edited by Pauljagpaul; 09-23-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Default Regarding The Expansion Tank

Originally Posted by santer
Some have had a leak which evaporates on a hot part of the engine

Maybe a dye would help?
I don't know what do you mean by "dye".

I know it is some kind of coloring, or that it has something to do with a color.

How can I repair my Expansion Tank with a dye?

I know that my leak is coming from the Expansion Tank, from its bottom part.

All I want to know is if anybody has ever attempted to repair this Expansion Tank upon its removal, or just had paid £60 for the new one...

The new one will be for sure made in China and will start leaking in 1 year anyway...

This is what I am talking about: I have had 15 used cars in my life and none of them had a leaking expansion tank... but this particular X-Type of mine has been getting such a weird scenario of things failing that it just blows my mind away.

That is why I am doubting the original manufacturing quality of the X-Types in the first place...

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Pauljagpaul (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Default Thank You "santer" !!!

Originally Posted by santer
A Lot Of Thanks To You "santer".

I appreciate your help!

Also, I got an extensive reply from OPIE OILS, and yes, I will be buying from them, they have it all.

The article I was referring to earlier has been written ten years ago by an American, and the OPIE OILS have read it too and told me they do not entirely agree with the author.

So if I alarmed anybody, I take it back... the OPIE OILS seem great to me for my maintenance needs.

See you all later

Paul

Last edited by Pauljagpaul; 09-23-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Grammer
santer (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

OPIE or Pentosin, and be done with it.

Don't sweat the "lifetime" swill; you're changing it, and you'll continue to do so.

Oh, back to the original subject; 2.5 l auto: Citgo 93 octane, no ethanol: 17 city, 28 highway, steady 80mph. If I can't get the good stuff, super 93 with ETOH in it, 15 city, 25 highway.

Pauljagpaul (09-23-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What If I live on a Hill?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Have had my 2004 3.0 AWD for five months, bought with 103k miles on it. Now at 108k and change, just returned from a 3k mile trip Texas to Florida and back. Car ran great, delivered 27mpg on regular gas. No need for 93 octane IMO. P.S. I run AMSOIL fluids in engine and driveline.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is regular gas in US? In Poland we have only 95 and 98 octane petrol...

I get 22mpg or less, but I'm running on LPG. Now (short distances, heavy traffic) I think I will get 10mpg.

Last edited by sobrus; 10-12-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:08 AM

I have a 2ltr automatic for almost a year. The best I have gotten is a 9.8l/100km on freeway, even then when I am driving above 150km/h. I have read elsewhere that when driving at 80km/h, you are likely to see a drop in consumption, I have not seen any. Inner-city, I get 10.9km/100km. Overall, on full tank, I get 580km. I am at peace. To think I almost got 3.0!