X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Auto Tranny Problems. RESOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Auto Tranny Problems. RESOLVED!

Alright Gents, my original problem with my 2002 X-Type 3.0 w/auto transmission was this:

Whether it was cold or hot the tranny would shift into reverse right away but yet took around five seconds or more to go into drive. Up shifting in normal or sports mode was okay, but when you pushed the fuel pedal to the floor the tranny "seemed to get lost as to which gear to select." As in revving the engine than slamming into the closet gear at 5K RPM.

I usually don't believe in the ol' mechanic in a bottle, but poured a full can of Seafoam tranny cleaner into the old girl and ran her a couple days before doing the "drop the oil and add three quarts method for changing the X-Type tanny oil" every few days till it was nice and clear and red.

No longer does it hunt for a gear to be in but just as responsive as I remember her 60K mi ago.

Hope this helps some one prior to R/R their tranny and save them some $$. No promises that it will work for you but it worked for me. $10 for the cleaner, $45 for fluid to cycle all the old stuff out. Currently 126K mi on the original transmission.

The following users liked this post:
alexjc (11-26-2023)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  19.3 KB

nice and thanks for sharing your experiences

Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JXT, nice to hear a good story when it comes to a tranny.

On a side note, what subs were you on? I did 12 years up there in the PNW over at Bangor. Did my fair time on the Ohio and Alabama and did work on all of the subs up there at some point.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM

I did 5 years in Bangor on the USS Kentucky SSBN 737, Now heading to the USS North Carolina SSN 777 out of Pearl. Glad to see another bubble head on here!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like the exact same problem I'm having with my X and I've only got 50K on it. The bloody dealer couldn't find a problem (not codes, no nothing) and didn't even suggest an oil flush until I suggested it.

The important question, if I want to do this 100% right and if I plan on keeping the old girl for years to come, should I do it myself with non-Jag fluid, pay $199 for the partial drain/refill with Jag fluid, or pay $450 for the complete (oil pan drop) drain/flush, and refill with Jag fluid?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

JXT, ha ha ha ha. I was SUBLANT for the construction of the 777. I know that boat all too well. Been places on that boat you can't go any more. Ah, the good old days. If I am ever out in Pearl, I will let you know. Enjoy the racks on that boat. Whoever designed them should be shot. When you get there, you will understand. What rate are you? Nuke ET here that spent the last half of his career as a QAO/AQAO. So, I got to play up forward a lot too.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Sorry for the delayed response Gents.
@ spielnicht I did allot of research about what tranny fluid to use. I ended up using the Castrol multi-import fluid. It claims to cover Jag specs. Mobil 1 brand claims to have the same, however did not want to switch an auto tranny to synthetic after having ran conventional oil it's entire life. Shifts like a dream and rockets off the line. I did the drain 3 qts, refill and run then drain again and add till the fluid was cherry red. The Seafoam additive that I poured in prior to draining and re-filling a week prior cured the slow into drive and skip shifting that I was experiencing. Everything is working perfectly now. I also had no codes for the tranny issues. You can always look into the tranny shops that have the T-Tech machines that suck the old oil out and put the new oil in. Most won't have the correct oil but you can always ask them to bring your own in and they will do a full oil exchange with the machine for around 60 to 80 dollars as long as you provide the appropriate oil and correct amount. Some machines like what they have at Ford dealers will "back flush" the tranny with the new oil removing more varnish and build up vice the machines that use the torque converter to push the new fluid through the system and to the machine in the "normal" fluid flow direction.

Thermo- I am an FT. I know, I know a stupid "Cone'r" LOL. Currently in CT but leaving soon to go home than a RNLT 24 SEP to the N.C.

Last edited by JXTSubmariner; 08-07-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

JXT, it takes all kinds to make that ship move. I've done my time up in CT at the trainers. When you are with SUBLANT, you get to go to places like that and monitor the training being given to the guys up there. You can thank me for the training computer program you have on board. LMAO. I'm sure you will be cussing my name. My shop "gave" you guys lots of feedback on that and you had to alter it severely. He he he he he.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Hahaha Thermo. I agree it does take us all to make a boat move. But its always great to start the forward and aft wars. You know how that is lol. We are all brothers of the 'phin regardless and a great family and I would not trade it for the world.