X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing or Driveshaft?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing or Driveshaft?

Hi all,

First post, excited to own a Jag. What a beautiful car!

I recently purchased a used '06 X-type sedan. From the features it's got (sunroof, Alpine speakers), I think it has some option packages? [If anyone knows a lot about this line info would be amazing!]

Anyways, I noticed that whenever I was at 40km/h, I would hear a high-pitched whirring noise that would quickly get quite loud, and then start to decrease the pitch, almost as if a turbine was being shut down. It happens at 40km/h consistently.

At the time of purchase the salesman said he thinks there was a wheel bearing problem, although the vehicle passed safety testing (bought from a certified dealer). However I did read that driveshaft problems are common in X-types. Can anyone provide some insight? I am taking it to a shop in a couple days, however I would just like to have a better idea what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The driveshaft bearing could need grease. To do that you need a grease gun with a needle adapter to get under the bearing seal. They run out of grease and start making sounds especially in colder weather. Mine hasn't started doing that yet but it's probably getting there. That may fix your noise issue.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Usually with wheel bearings the best way to quickly test them is to turn the wheel one way or the other and if sound changes or goes away than that's a pretty good indication that they are bad.

With the propshaft bearing (or even transfer case bearings) they should be the first thing to check if the noise sounds different when you're on the gas or coasting.

Unfortunately on the one I bought with 130k miles on it as I started chasing down and eliminating all the noises it turned out that both the front wheel bearings were bad (noisy all the time and giving me wheel speed sensor fault codes), and after changing them out, it was nice and quiet coasting down the road but I could hear the transfer case bearings whirring under load every time I stepped on the gas so they are getting pressed out today, and also found that the prop shaft bearing was definately dry and needed to be greased.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited by ltmax; 03-25-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM

This may not be connected to your noise at all, but my 04 X Type is in garage just now. Noise from my car's rear started about 20 minutes into a drive and was seized calipers heating up disc...no noise at start because they were cold but discs getting hot gradually. Garage has car, which I have only had 4 weeks, and they are struggling to get wheels off due to broken wheel nuts...sigh...

I am offering here no help other than a possible cause of a noise getting louder after a 20 minute drive...

Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 PM

i was just wondering if you had found out what was creating that humm/turbine noise i just purchased a 2002 x-type and i noticed the same exact noise at 40km/hr when accelerating or decelerating

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by 02jag
i was just wondering if you had found out what was creating that humm/turbine noise i just purchased a 2002 x-type and i noticed the same exact noise at 40km/hr when accelerating or decelerating
If noise starts after a short time, 20 minutes or so, brakes are possibly seized on, heating discs up.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by 02jag
No news as of yet, but I talked to some guys at a Midas shop and they seemed pretty confident that a driveshaft/wheel bearing was involved. Considering mine was used in snowy Quebec, some rust on a propshaft bearing might not be implausible.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jagxtype, get under the car now that the weather is getting nice and get some termaline grease pushed into the carrier bearing/driveshaft (use of a needle attachment is required). Then take the car out for a drive. That will be a quick and easy thing to do and also tell you if it is the carrier bearing or not.

If you need any assistance with this, let us know. It is pretty easy to do. The big thing is making sure that you get into the bearing in atleast 3 different spots roughly 120 degrees (equally spaced) around the bearing. That way all the surfaces get a new coating of grease.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine started last year and still does the same thing. Between 28 and 32 MPH it howls if accelerating slowly or decelerating.

The latest addition is now getting worse as the temps outside get warmer. After a few min on the highway, it begins to howl, ok more like a low growl, but if I turn to the right even a little bit, it howls. It sounds like the right rear but it's so hard to tell. I replaced a hub bearing 3 years ago when I bought it but it was making a more grinding noise then.

New tires were installed before winter but the slight shimmy at highway speeds never went away.

Am I right thinking it's a combination of hub bearing and carrier causing all the singing?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd agree with you, the rear hub bearings are cheap and easy to change, might want to start with them and see what happens. Front wheel bearings are a little harder to change but not that bad.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Hey all, it's been a while, been so busy with work.

Turns out it was the wheel bearing going nuts (replaced it and got the thing re-aligned)