X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type manual swap: complete with megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type manual swap: complete with megasquirt

Hey I swapped my auto for a mtx75. Runs great- no more slipping 2nd gear. I got all of the swap parts and an extra transfer case out of a junker for 700 bucks and everything bolted in no problem. The engine wouldn't fire so I went with megasquirt with edis6 for an ecu. Very happy with the results!

Attached Thumbnails x type manual swap: complete with megasquirt-1921929_10203760920801845_5641112474588292424_n.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh, this is probably good news for all those who have been looking into it. Thanks for posting & welcome to the forum!

Being the less technical person I am, my interest is mostly in how you managed to mount an automatic model gear knob there? Doesn't look like it's screwed all the way down though?

In case you're interested, you can fit the automatic model wooden gear surround on a manual gear selector without any issues. Check the interior photo in my signature.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM

good thing I kept it! that would look a lot better thanks. The hole in the auto knob is slightly bigger after you pull out the insert. I used a wad of duct tape to make it grab the threads and didn't screw it down all the way so i could lift up for reverse. works great.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

No problem also thanks for the info again.

It's very easy to replace, but you need to trim the leather gaiter a bit smaller (since the opening on the auto-surround is smaller), just make sure there's enough of it to let the stick move enough in all directions. There's a sturdy long metal clip that goes around the underside of the surround opening, holding the chrome ring in place. Take that clip off, put the gaiter on, then put the clip back on. It has held my gaiter in place ever since I fitted it.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum bombacho, you should stop by our new members area and introduce yourself there too ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

That's one hell of a job, converting an X-Type from auto to manual.

Safe to say that it didn't run because of the transmission controller being disconnected, and the ECU was still looking for it. It might have been possible to reprogram the ECU withthe manual program, but since you've got it running with the Megasquirt, job done!

But i'm wondering, how are the rest of the cars systems working; ABS, cruise, dash, etc...

Do you still have the factory ECU connected? Usually in this sort of case nothing works because the ECU doesn't see the transmission.

There have been many attempts at a manual conversion on other late model Jags, so i'm curious to know what's working now & what's not, do you have error messages on the dash, etc?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 AM

The only gauge that still works is the speedometer. Gauge cluster looks like a Christmas tree now haha. I have a nexus 7 tablet that talks to megasquirt over a Bluetooth network for my gauges. the engine runs completely independent of the stock ECU. I think there's a guy that makes Jag gauges run off a GM ECU for ls1 swaps. This could work

Not sure about ABS. There's no error message on the dash so maybe it works. I have a question about the brakes: My MAP sensor shows the engine pulls lots of vacuum, but the booster seems like it fades after a few seconds. I will try bypassing the inline valve from the manifold.

Pretty sure traction control and DSC are gone. I'm running a cable operated Subaru throttle body with a Contour pedal. Cruise is gone too. No more drive by wire throttle.

It would have been easier to re-flash the stock ecu, but I wasn't able to find an interface. At first, I tried to trick the car into thinking the auto was still there, but in neutral.. No luck. Wouldn't fire.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 AM

I will re-install my wooden gear surround this week too! I would have thrown it away thinking the opening was too narrow!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Go to a dealer and ask if new ECM needs reprogramming. Buy ECM from manual car $100 and pay dealer 1 hour $100(?)

Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Using a stock ecu would be WAY cleaner because you could keep traction control and cruise. I bought a manual ecu with the harness when i first planned the swap. I asked about what you said to a few dealerships in the area, but I couldn't get an answer about any definitive results so I went with the megasquirt. Its actually pretty simple to wire up because of the 36-1 crank sensor and it's very cheap. Now I have complete control of my maps. I'm considering welding on a junkyard Holset turbo and running e85... I Already have that extra transfer case and I've found spare contour motors for $150.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Stumbled onto this as my wife inquired about getting rid of her 05 manual for an X type wagon. I would love to convert. I'm thinking if I get an 05 shouldn't I be able to swap the tcu stuff as well from the exiting 05 manual. Our current car is a 2.5 though so I wonder if I'd have issues with wiring that way.