Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Wheel bearing noise

Hello guys-

I am trying to catch up on maintenance as I have been away for a few months and in order to make things a s pain free as possible I want everything taken care
of on a single trip to the mechanic; I am having bo J rear control arms changed, as well as the leaking coolant t-hose, and I have also noticed that I have a wheel bearing that’s shot, just don’t know which one.

I was going to have all four bearings changed and buy the parts, but I was thinking maybe that’s a waste....the car has 59K miles....do all the bearings tend to go out or is it more likely that I have just the fronts.:::thanks

Old 07-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Spike, take the car for a drive and when out on the highway, do a high speed lane change (safety). What you should notice is that when you turn one way, the noise is going to be constant. When you go the other way, it will diminish/go away. The direction that the noise changes is the side that has the bad bearing. You want the lane change to make the car lean a little bit. I know with this car it is not easily done, but you can get the idea of what I am trying to get done here.

As for the bearings going out, that is very subjective to how the roads are in your area. If they are horrible, yes, all of the bearings may be shot at 59K miles. If they are pretty good, then you have one that failed early.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, take the car for a drive and when out on the highway, do a high speed lane change (safety). What you should notice is that when you turn one way, the noise is going to be constant. When you go the other way, it will diminish/go away. The direction that the noise changes is the side that has the bad bearing. You want the lane change to make the car lean a little bit. I know with this car it is not easily done, but you can get the idea of what I am trying to get done here.

As for the bearings going out, that is very subjective to how the roads are in your area. If they are horrible, yes, all of the bearings may be shot at 59K miles. If they are pretty good, then you have one that failed early.
thanks. We had the car up on ramps running yesterday to see if we could duplicate the problem. No luck. I am going to try two new front tires today and see if that cures the problem.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you tried running the car while up in the air you wouldn't hear the noise as there is no load on it, unless the bearing was so shot that the noise would be very easy to hear and the bad bearing would be easy to spot with the car not running just by feeling play in the tires.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
If you tried running the car while up in the air you wouldn't hear the noise as there is no load on it, unless the bearing was so shot that the noise would be very easy to hear and the bad bearing would be easy to spot with the car not running just by feeling play in the tires.
Thanks. I got new tires today and no change.

I do think it’s the front bearing because although the wheel does not change, I can feel the whirl or vibration thru the steering wheel. I will be having both front bearing changed once they come in the mail

Old 07-13-2018, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Follow up question—

I did actually notice that when turning the car to the right at high speeds, the noise dimishes greatly, so it is wheel bearings—

Is there a risk of destroying the ball joint when removing the hub to replace the bearing ? ....

i have been reading the archives and it looks like this may be a problem....I want to make sure the shop doesn’t destroy those in the process

Thanks

Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

I guess according to this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-112720/page2/

compressing the coil springs is the ticket...

Old 07-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

This is removel/installation of a wheel bearing for a Mondeo, but should be identical or close enough.=

Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the videos-

Mu main concern was that the ball joints are not damaged in the process. It seems that was a concern with others doing this on the our cars

Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

The drivers (US) side, left bearing was changed. I went into the shop wanting both done, but since the car would be silent when going thru left bending overpasses and bridges at high speed, I decided to only have the one side changed and it work d. No more turbine noise.

Things where in such shape that the entire axle had to come of to separate things.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing is ever easy on this car.

Now it look like the shaft seal is leaking in spite of the fact I asked the technician 1000 times if I needed to replace it and he said no, the shaft seal looks perfectly fine, and they take hundreds out and replace them with no leaks as long as the seal looks good......Nothing on the floor but I went underneath the car for another reason and I see a drop. Could be residuals from yesterday, but I doubt it.