Originally Posted by disguay
Jace, some of the options are:
Sport package
Navigation system
Cold Climate Package
Backup sensors
HID headlights
Premium Sound

I'm sure there are a few more, but those are the ones that make the biggest change to your car in my book.
is there any good indications that let you know they have these?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace
is there any good indications that let you know they have these?
Sport package
The grille surround, bumper blades and boot plinth are body-coloured instead of chrome. Also a tiny rear spoiler? Seats are also different, but the lack of chrome on the outside is the easiest way to tell. Some sport models might also have a body kit.

Navigation system
There's a ~7" touch-sensitive display in the centre console.
Here's one without navigation.

Cold Climate Package
There are buttons for heated seats on both sides of the hazard light button in the centre console; models without the package have just the hazard light button. There's also a button for heated windshield, but the seat heater buttons are easier to spot.

Backup sensors
4 round sensors, commonly black, on the rear valance.
Here's my rear valance, you can see the sensors.

HID headlights
There is no light levelling adjustment knob. See this example of a normal one; the 0-1-2-3 knob on the right would be missing in an HID equipped model.

Premium Sound
Err. To my knowledge, these setups have tiny tweeter-speakers near door handles (see the interior pictures I linked to earlier), as well as subwoofers on the rear parcel shelf:
Normal
Premium

Also, in the two interior pictures I linked, you can see there's a strip of veneer on the doors. In early models, I think that was only in SE models, Classic and Sport didn't have them. The wood/leather steering wheel was an optional extra. In later models they introduced the Sovereign/Executive/VDP or such that has a wood/leather steering wheel, piped leather seats, and so on.

The following users liked this post:
Jace (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted a jag ever since i graduated high school. I too was told the high cost of upkeep so i went with something else. cost to work on jags is 2 or 3 times more than some cars now 25 years later i bought my 05 xtype sport. i love it. there are only a few aftermarket companies(Mina, Arden) are two. like you i like to work on cars as well so there are some things you can do on your own. Ive had mine for 2 years with 63000 now with no problems. Here are a few pics of mine with new grills and rims. expat has the most tricked out jag of any ive seen get with him on what all you can do with it.

Name:  DSC03077.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  188.2 KB
Name:  DSC04133mc2_zpsff532e32.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  97.5 KB
Name:  DSC03060.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  69.3 KB

Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gragner- Your jag looks really clean, I'm diggin it I just think that the OEM wheels are tough to beat other then that you didnt do too much but yet it looks amazing

Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Sport package
The grille surround, bumper blades and boot plinth are body-coloured instead of chrome. Also a tiny rear spoiler? Seats are also different, but the lack of chrome on the outside is the easiest way to tell. Some sport models might also have a body kit.

Navigation system
There's a ~7" touch-sensitive display in the centre console.
Here's one without navigation.

Cold Climate Package
There are buttons for heated seats on both sides of the hazard light button in the centre console; models without the package have just the hazard light button. There's also a button for heated windshield, but the seat heater buttons are easier to spot.

Backup sensors
4 round sensors, commonly black, on the rear valance.
Here's my rear valance, you can see the sensors.

HID headlights
There is no light levelling adjustment knob. See this example of a normal one; the 0-1-2-3 knob on the right would be missing in an HID equipped model.

Premium Sound
Err. To my knowledge, these setups have tiny tweeter-speakers near door handles (see the interior pictures I linked to earlier), as well as subwoofers on the rear parcel shelf:
Normal
Premium

Also, in the two interior pictures I linked, you can see there's a strip of veneer on the doors. In early models, I think that was only in SE models, Classic and Sport didn't have them. The wood/leather steering wheel was an optional extra. In later models they introduced the Sovereign/Executive/VDP or such that has a wood/leather steering wheel, piped leather seats, and so on.
Thanks so much for all the responses you've given I really appreciate it, they provide alot of help and detail

Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The cold climate package also adds traction control on vehicles before 04. You can tell because there is a little traction control button right near the ebrake on cars with TC

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thnx, i like the stock rims as well. i kept mine to use later on. if you like chrome stock wheels they can be found on ebay for exchange for the ones you have.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Default Why a Jaguar??

Hi Jace,
The answer is simple - they are just fabulous cars.
I,ve always loved jags and 8 yrs ago got to own my first - a 1994 XJ40 4ltr sport and boy - did i love that car!!! It was so quintisentially British with its old fashioned cabin - loads of wood and a stonking 4ltr straight 6 engine.
Time passed and the old girl started to fade away so I took the plunge and sold her and replaced her with my current S type 4ltr V8 in zircon blue.
Wow!!! - what a car - so smooth, so fast, so good looking!!
There's a fair bit of criticism about the 5 speed ford autobox but I've got used to mine and just love it. The later 4.2version has the 6 speed box which is supp1osed to be better.
For me there is no more distinctive car on the road - she is just so individual in her looks and will go like stink when needed. Modifications are just not needed!!!
Go ahead Jace - spoil yourself with a stunning S Type - look around carefully for a good clean, well maintained model - Go for the 4 or 4.2 ltr versions, you won't regret it.