X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?

hi my x-type for the last few days when i start it first time it takes 2 to 3 seconds to start up but after all day normal,
its not normal. Normally its starts straight away.

I know alot about jaguars but i have never had this problem before now i need help.

1st thing battery: the running battery watt is 14v not running is 12.7v thats ok

fuel pressure: 4.5bar as the jaguar techs state should be for this model
fuel filter is new

injector: just cleaned last month

spark plugs: six months before i cleaned all with brush and remove carbon the spark plugs should be safe

Idle Air Control valve is clean

i have disconnested battery and reconnected it,
this problem has occured in the last 3 days, i usually am doing something to car every other week to see and check everything under the bonet

Can anyone help me with this problem? thanks

Attached Thumbnails Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?-cimg4999.jpg  

Last edited by zibby_uk; 07-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

zibby, I have seen a problem like this in the past. What you may want to check is the butterfly valve in the throttlebody. If there is some gum on the edge of it, it can cause the butterfly to stick, but once the valve opens up, it is fine. A simple check that you can do is to start the car, let it idle for about 5-10 seconds and then step on the gas to raise the RPMs up to about 3,000 RPM and then put the car in gear and see how it responds. If it responds like it should, it most likely is the butterfly.

The following users liked this post:
zibby_uk (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Question throttlebody has been removed and cleaned

hi thanks for reply

the throttlebody has been removed and i brought it into the house and took time and cleaned it slowly a month back, there is no gum or carbons etc its clean. the idle air valve was also cleaned the one thats attatched to the throttlebody

any other thing thats causing this problem?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen this happen with other cars, and it turned out to be that the fuel crept back down the fuel rail due to air somehow getting into the line. Can you faithfully repeat the problem? If so, you can test this out by turning the key into the on position a few times causing the fuel pump the cycle gas up the lines. If this cures the problem then most likely the issue lies in the fuel system somewhere.

zibby_uk (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Smile my car start off slow ?

hi thanks for reply

what you have said is very interesting, i have recently installed fuel gauge last week and this happened after that, the car was fine after i installed it a day later this occured. I have installed the fuel gauge permanently will upload photo so you can see it.

I want to ask also that if the fuel line level is a little bit above the fuel rail can that be the issue?

as that may have happpened when i installed gauge. I will check it out tommorow as the weather in scotland is bad.

the fuel pressure is normal as when i start car pressure is normal on the gauge and when its off it take overnight for the pressure to go down which is normal for returnless line

it you can help would be great thank you

Attached Thumbnails Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?-cimg4308.jpg   Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?-cimg4996.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran member

Zibby, if you have the fuel pressure gauge installed, it may be that you have a line full of air and what is happening is that initially you are having to fill the pressure gauge and compress all that air. This can lead to the engine being "starved" for fuel. If you have a vent on the pressure gauge, you may want to turn on the key to the RUN position (keep the engine off) and vent the pressure gauge to get all the air out and then see if you have the same problem. If not, then it was simply air in the pressure gauge causing the issues. Can also remove the pressure gauge temporarily and see if that corrects anything.

zibby_uk (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Default may be fuel line air

hi Thermo
thanks for reply
as you know its a returmless line how would i get the air out of the gauge, i dont know how to vent out the air from it. Last month i changed fuel rail injectors, intake gasket and the car was perfect but after i installed gauge this occurred. between the fuel rail and fuel line there is a spring lock if i disconnect that and then connect will the air come out?

any other idea?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

zibby, what you will want to do is to first hold the gauge up as high as it will go (atleast above the fuel rail). Then, you can loosen up the mechanical fitting and allow the air to escape when you have the key in the RUN position. But then, I am also used to gauges like this having a small bleeder valve associated with them that allows you to purge the air out by simply cracking open this valve and shutting it once the fuel starts to leak out.

Looking at your after picture, if the upper gauge is the fuel pressure, the bleeder valve is the knob sticking out to the right side. If the fuel gauge is the lower one, then not sure.

As for why you didn't have a problem when lifting the intake off is because there was no T-off from the main fuel line. So, any air that you introduced got pushed straight to the injectors and then into the motor. In your case now after adding the fuel pressure gauge, it is T-ed off and acting almost like a de-surger. So, as you start the car, the actual fuel rail gets up in pressure, but some fuel is also working its way to the fuel pressure gauge and compressing the air bubble that is there. This drops the fuel pressure in the rail slightly, leading to the fuel injectors not getting sufficient fuel pressure, and therefore not putting the correct amount of fuel in there.

zibby_uk (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:09 AM

hi
thanks for your reply again, its the bottom gauge, the upper one is the vaacum one and thats easy to sort out.

the bottom one im attatching similar photo of it, it has a small rubber at the side of it, do you think that that is the bleeding valve?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Why would my car start off slow in first evry day but after fine?-fprgauge.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Since it is the lower gauge, you can get the same sort of effect by simply turning the gauge up side down (glass face facing down). and hold it there as you start the car. This should cause any air to be placed in the hose and then moved on down to the injectors for removal. But, that volume is very minimal.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I am not sure what is going on. Another thing you may want to try is starting the car and then letting it idle for say 20 seconds and then seeing if things are better. Could it be that the vacuum gauge is what is causing things to act up? Just asking. There is a decent size void on the gauge and when starting the car, the air that is in the canister can be feeding back into the intake, leading to a lower then normal vacuum, which could be affecting the computer. So, you may want to try removing the hose for the vacuum gauge and temporarily plugging the nipple coming off the engine and seeing if things get better that way.

zibby_uk (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 AM

hi Thermo
thanks for reply
i have done the key position on off 3 times then start, and it started normal within seconds, i now know its an air issue due to fuel gauge, i have moved the gauge up down turned it 90decree then in normal position cant do it upside down as theres no space, like i had said this issue only occurs when the car is cold and the fuel pressure has gone down.

what you said i have done will now test the car tommorow once the car is cold.

have checked vaacum gauge its all fine no leakages or anything ive had that installed for 1year now.

hope tommorow it will be good news will post it. thanks once again

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Default Job Done

hi

i started up car today, samething happened as before, switched off engline

i disconnected fuel line from delivery rail and released pressure cleaned o,ring gasket and attached springlock then i put the level where the gauge was below the level of fuel rail, then checked everything safety wise and made sure all was ok. I then keyed car in on position once the fuel pressure got normal then i started car and it started normal.

The problem was the gauge position was above the fuel rail that caused air to trap in line.

I want to especially thank thermo for his support and help in understanding what was happening.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Why do you have fuel pressure and vacuum gauges installed permanently under the hood anyway?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Why do you have fuel pressure and vacuum gauges installed permanently under the hood anyway?

fuel pressure for check fuel pressure and vacuum gauges for check vacuum

Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zibby_uk
OK, here's my .02

If the car was fine beofre you installed the fuel gauge, and crap after, why would you keep the gauge in?

Take the thing our, reconnect the lines and if you're good again, leave it alone. Can't see a value to having a gauge under the hood in anycase, must be hard to check at highway speed, probabvly illegal too.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Angry why are you asking such questions?

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
OK, here's my .02

If the car was fine beofre you installed the fuel gauge, and crap after, why would you keep the gauge in?

Take the thing our, reconnect the lines and if you're good again, leave it alone. Can't see a value to having a gauge under the hood in anycase, must be hard to check at highway speed, probabvly illegal too.
look when you have read the problem is solved so why are you asking such questions?

its my car i can put a gauge in it or not, read all the conversation ive had on this post, it was to do with air trapped, thats how ones knowledge grows, its a fuel pressure issue if you dont know about technical things dont get involved

theres two types of fuel gauges 1 is tester and 1 is permanent, there is no connection with fuel pressure and highway speed. A fuel pressure gauge tells you about fuel pump is working fine, its legal and i know quite a bit about jaguars but that doesnt mean i cant get advice from others,!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

No offense intended dude, I was just genuinely curious as to the logic of having frivolous gauges where you can only see them with the hood up.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

OK , no offense indeed since your problem is resolved and there is no point of flaming others .I appreciate the way you thank you to Thermo as well

Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

look when you have read the problem is solved so why are you asking such questions?

its my car i can put a gauge in it or not, read all the conversation ive had on this post, it was to do with air trapped, thats how ones knowledge grows, its a fuel pressure issue if you dont know about technical things dont get involved

theres two types of fuel gauges 1 is tester and 1 is permanent, there is no connection with fuel pressure and highway speed. A fuel pressure gauge tells you about fuel pump is working fine, its legal and i know quite a bit about jaguars but that doesnt mean i cant get advice from others,!!!
I know what a fuel pressure gauge does, my reply was sarcastic since you took 3 posts to finally mention that the problem occured after installing the gauge. Duh, of course it was the gauge or a problem with the installation. As for legality, re-read my post, I mentioned climbing out of the car, opening the hood and checking the gauge at highway speed might be illegal.

Obviously you missed that since you tore apart the whole fuel delivery system to fix the problem. I can tell when the fuel pump isn't working by simply turning the key and the car doesn't start. Dude no need to get snippy and start flaming people here, We're a pretty tongue in cheek group