X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Fluid and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid and cruise control

Here is another strange thing I found out. When I was driving to get an alignment, I tried to use my washer fluid to wash the windshield. When I push the button i can hear the noise they usually make but nothing is coming out of it. The tank was full prior to that and stayed full because i never tried to use it. Once I got home and looked at the tank again, it was empty this time. Because it was dark i couldn't tell if somehow it leaked. But if there was a leak it would have leaked out before i tried using it so i don't get it...

any ideas???

and i can't figure out how to use my cruise control. LOL I have a stick shift, so i thought u just accelerate to the speed you want to cruise and push + to set it like automatic... unless there is a special way of doing it for stick shift????

Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Washer Fluid and cruise control

Cruise, you should just be able to push the + switch. You may have a brake switch problem if you cannot activate it.

The washer fluid, look under hood. While it is open would be at bottom. See if the hose is connected all the way across.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an issue of my nozzles not spitting out fluid, but the quick fix was to remove the tubing from under the hood and spray some compressed air into them to unclog them. Then I had the same issue again a few weeks later and it turned out the connectors that connect the subes of the fluid to the hood had broke. There was evidence of fluid spilt all over my battery cover. Hope this may help. Keep us posted

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 AM

geessh, if i knew jaguar was the queen of problems i wouldn't have got one. LOL I just thought it is a really neat looking car for a good price. But i have never had this many issues with any of the other vehicles i bought so far. (Reminds me once again Ford hasn't changed a bit. LOL)

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Most people buying a Jaguar know about the problems and want it anyway. It is part of owning a British car. Always has been. Many people enjoy tinkering with the rides and part of the excitement of going out in it is always in the back of your mind you wonder what is going to go wrong....lol

Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM

I guess i shouldn't complain because these are probably easy fixes. So FJT is this going to be another switch i have to check: Brake Switch? on top of the Reverse switch i yet to figure out? LOL

thanks man

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

LOL....where do you live?

If the car thinks the brake pedal is being depressed, it will no allow cruise to come on. I forget what year your car is, but where the cruise switches are on the steering wheel, look just to the right on side of wheel. Is there another switch there? That would be on/off switch. I think earlier Xs had it. But Jaguar is getting away from the on/off thing.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM

my car is 2003 x-type 2.5 awd. I live in Muskegon, Michigan.

there is a button similar to radio station control/cd track control on the side where the cruise control is. I wonder it that's the switch and i am too dumb to use it. LOL

because when i pulled in the driveway last nite, the cruise was activated but i couldn't turn it off even when i pushed cancel but i never thought about using those buttons for it. I tried to see if those buttons do anything for radio and they didn't so i was like wtf are these supposed to do? LOL

so maybe it is the on and off switch for cruise?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Yes - on the right side you have the +/- buttone and cancel and resume. If you look on the side of that switch, if there is another one there, you will have to put that up or down. It is on/off. May even say on the message center cruise on or cruise off. LOL.....little things are often overlooked.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM

hmm i am pretty sure there is not a switch on the side, but there are buttons right behind the ones you mentioned (+/- resume cancel) and they are the identical buttons as the changing the track or station buttons on the other side. I dont know what they are supposed to do, i thought maybe those were for cruise switch if not then those buttons don't work either. LOL

Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if your brake switch is not diactivating, your brake lights will stay on all the time too. i beleive there was a TSB or honorably mention of this somewhere that i remember seeing.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM

also... that is odd that your washers even worked (made an attempt to atleast). When my low washer fluid light comes on, my wipers will not activate automatically when using the wash button. Must be to keep from grinding dirt and grime into the windshield.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 PM

The button you are reffering to is the on off switch for cruise.....lol

The wipers are programmed to not come on during wash if washer fluid is low for that exact reason. Also if you have headlamp washers, they will not work either.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM

I figured so. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:10 PM

FJT guess what? you are right, and i am dumb. that was the switch for the cruise control. So that works. and i found out that the hose was disconected at one point, so that is fixed as well and here is the url for the reverse light switch, is that the one?

http://www.rockyou.com/photos/photo_...anceid=9011035

Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 PM

My god man, look at all that crap on the switch. No wonder it doesnt work.....LOL
That is the one. Unplug and short out connector with a paper clip and see if reverse lightscome on. Key would have to be on of course.
Glad the other two things are sorted. Let us know about reverse lights.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 PM

ok, this post verifies one more time how dumb i get when it comes to cars. LOL so how do i short it with a paperclip? what do i use the female part or the male part of the connector?

thanks a bunch

Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 AM

short it using the female pigtail, not the sensor. Just bend it into a U-shape and stick it in both slots.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:40 PM

jagxtype your sex life is nothing to do with us mate......lol

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid and cruise control