X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Chill Causing Havoc

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Chill Causing Havoc

The last week the temp has been in the single digits and below zero a couple of times, i have noticed that when the it gets really cold out that the X makes a howling or growling noise from under the car, it changes tone with shifts and its kind of alarming. It goes away after about 15-20 minutes of driving, and everything still shifts and performs correctly but its still loud. I am concerned that it could be a t-case or trans, I don't believe this to be the drive-shift from the other posts information it doesnt seem like the same issue. I live 4 hours from the nearest dealership and I am out of warranty. I know I am missing my air deflector for my t-case that bolts to bottom of my oil pan. and I know I need to drain and fill my t-case I just simply havent had the time to do it. but there isn't anyone even remotely close that will flush my trans, I know its "sealed for life" but the fluid in any trans after 60,000 miles is burnt I don't care what kind of trans it is. I want to make my X last a long as humanly possible. any ideas as to what the culprit of the sound may be? and what type of fluid goes in the t-case?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Winter Chill Causing Havoc

First, you need the air scoop to keep the TC cool. If experience is any teacher, you'll probably find that your TC is dry now. The TC holds very little lubricant and runs very hot due to its proximity to the Cat Converter and exhaust. Without the scoop, it get little or no cooling airflow. There is a breather on top of the TC to allow pressure to escape when it heats up. In all likelihood, the combination of high temperatures and the mist created by the lube being thrown about has allowed most or all of your lubricant to escape as vapor over time.

I've been changing my TC fluid regularly. As for fluid, I've been using Sta-Lube Syn GO 75W 140 Synthetic which states M2C192A compliance on the label. M2C192A is the Ford/Jaguar spec for the TC fluid.

I got my Syn Go at a local NAPA.

It's not that I don't like Royal Purple or Red Line or Mobil 1; it's just that I can't nail them down as far as suitability.

For example. Mobil 1 will not, in my communications with them, state that their lube meets or exceeds the specification for the transfer case fluid. Here is the response I got from Mobil 1 concerning their fluids for the Jag.

"I'm going to drain and refill the transfer case and rear end on the X-Type. I'd like to go with a Mobil 1 product. The spec on the fluid is JTIS Spec: M2C192A SAE 75W140 synthetic gear lubricant. The only thing I've found that specifically meets the spec is Sta-Lube Syn GO 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube. Again, I know and trust Mobil 1 but I need to know if your product meets or exceeds the JTIS spec and is there any compatibility issue between Mobil 1 and any small residue of the original fluid that might be left after I drain the original fluid."

"Due to your car needed special requirements we would recommend that you as Jaguar what they will allow you to put in the vehicle. Our Gear Lubricant meets GL-5 but that is not enough in our minds to recommend that product to you without Jaguars approval."

I suspect that, since the spec was written 8 years ago now, the above mentioned lubes are better than the spec. Problem is, I can't get verification.

Draining and refilling may save your TC or greatly lengthen its service life. If you want a more detailed description on how to change the TC fluid easily, look at this post or e-mail me.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_79830..._2/key_/tm.htm

Bill

Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  6.0 KB

Nice one Bill
Garrin.........its well documented that our Jags dont like the cold too much. My own X had the exact same issue usually from start up and always when cold. Took it to the dealer who spent some time on it, examined it, charged me £130 and told me all was well[&:]
Probably the tc...I think Bill has included the link to the write up done by Bo some time ago for the procedure for flushing n refilling....check it out.

Good luck
Jim

Old 12-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like more of a drive shaft issue. Our cars are known for them. If it is be prepared to spend upwards of a $1000. If you want to diagnose when its cold liek from outside put it up on a hoist and drive it while someone is under listening to the bearing in the centre and you will hear noise coming from there. Also you need to go spend the money and get that scoop replaced or better yet just drain and re fill your t-case fluid every year.